Windows 10: I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall.

Discus and support I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello,I had issues with my hard drive and just installed a new one. I reinstalled windows 7 and I have the upgrade for Windows 10. However, I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DonaldMacRury, Nov 4, 2021.

1. I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall.

Hello,I had issues with my hard drive and just installed a new one. I reinstalled windows 7 and I have the upgrade for Windows 10. However, I can't activate my windows anymore and the number on the windows activation screen doesn't work.Is there a way I can activate my windows again or do I have to buy a new copy of windows?

:)

DonaldMacRury, Nov 4, 2021

2. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Nov 4, 2021
  3. little cat, Nov 4, 2021
  4. I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall.

Install Windows 10 on new hard drive.

Hi Arzlo,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Please be informed that you cannot install the activated Windows 10 on to the new hard disk.

If you are replacing the hard disk then you may get Windows 10 activation errors.

If you are purchasing a new hard disk then, you may have to install genuine Windows 7 (SP1)/8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 to get Windows 10 activated.

I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

• Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
      ENTER
      :
    chkdsk /f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 Q&A.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ppud=4

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Nov 4, 2021
Thema:

I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall.

1. I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall. - Similar Threads - installed hard drive

2. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive: Cheers everyone,I recently had a bit of trouble with the reliability of my hard drive, so I decided to buy a new SSD and move al my system there.After research on the internet, I found, that a "recovery device" should be able to transfer my windows from one drive to the next....
  3. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive: Cheers everyone,I recently had a bit of trouble with the reliability of my hard drive, so I decided to buy a new SSD and move al my system there.After research on the internet, I found, that a "recovery device" should be able to transfer my windows from one drive to the next....
  4. Activating of windows after moving to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I installed a new hard drive and cannot activate windows after a reinstall.: Hello,I had issues with my hard drive and just installed a new one. I reinstalled windows 7 and I have the upgrade for Windows 10. However, I can't activate my windows anymore and the number on the windows activation screen doesn't work.Is there a way I can activate my...
  6. Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install.

Can't activate windows 10 after new hard drive install.: Please assist. Per Microsoft guidance deleted old "computer" from MS account and then installed windows 10 on new HD - now can't activate through MS acct sign in. Says the key is invalid...can't find...Big Red Ltrs! Also tried using my old Win7 Key - nope. I have been a...
  7. Reinstalling Windows 10 on after changing to a new hard drive?

Reinstalling Windows 10 on after changing to a new hard drive?: I own a laptop which came with Windows 10. It was activated by digital license associated with my Microsoft account, so I do not have a product key.The hard drive in the laptop is failing, and I have ordered a replacement. Due to anticipated problems copying off the old...
  8. Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation

Trouble Activating Windows After New Hard Drive Installation: I recently installed a new Hard Drive in my Dell Latitude E6540. After Installing Windows I was prompted to activate, and went through the process of running troubleshoot, and 'I changed hardware on this device recently.' The device options do not include the device I'm...
  9. windows activation after new hard disk installation

windows activation after new hard disk installation: i had replaced and installed a new hard disk after the old one crashed, now there appears to be a message after logging in the system " ypur windows licence will expire soon". i had downloaded a copy from microsoft and had subsequently logged into the microsoft account so...
  10. Reinstall activation code after hard drive crash

Reinstall activation code after hard drive crash: Hi. I purchased Win 7 pro and have disk and product code. I upgraded to Win 10 pro when it was offered for free. My hard drive failed and I want to do a clean re-install of Win 10 Pro. I just bought a keyless Win 10 Pro disk. What product code or procedure can I use for a...