Windows 10: I installed Pi Hole but Microsoft Family Screen is broken

Discus and support I installed Pi Hole but Microsoft Family Screen is broken in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; After installing Pi Hole ad blocker, Microsoft Family functionality broke. The main thing I am worrying about is Microsoft Family screen time.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Sun mmao, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Sun mmao Win User

I installed Pi Hole but Microsoft Family Screen is broken

After installing Pi Hole ad blocker, Microsoft Family functionality broke. The main thing I am worrying about is Microsoft Family screen time.

Unfortunately, I cannot see an option to allow my daughter to request more screen time now. Now the dialog box displays an error and informs that the system might not be connected to the internet

:)

Sun mmao, Dec 23, 2019
  2. bhieda Win User

Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests

I recently installed a raspberry pi with pi hole in my network which is great for removing ads. Unfortunately, it also breaks the Microsoft family functionality. I think there are multiple things broken, but the first thing I'd like to fix is to allow
    my kids to request more screen time. Prior to installing the pi hole, a dialog window would pop up when the kid's windows account run out of screen time . In that dialog that they could click to request more time. This would trigger an email request to
    me which allows me to grant more screen time or not. Now, after the pi hole install in my network, clicking the request more time button in the dialog displays an error and suggests that the system may not be connected to the internet. I am certain the internet
    connection is functional.

I am fairly certain that the pi hole is blocking the communication from the pc to the ms server managing the family features. I'd like to create a whitelist in pi hole that allows the necessary communication to take place. Can anyone let me know what URLs
    need to be added to the whitelist to have Microsoft family screen time limits to work on windows 10?

bhieda, Dec 23, 2019
  3. Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern related to Microsoft Family screen time limits, which has stopped working after installing Raspberry PI and PI hole.

In this scenario, please refer the steps as mentioned in this article:
    Fix screen time limits not working

If the issue persists, I suggest you to remove and re-add the child account back to the family account. Refer this article:
    Remove members from your family group

However, I commend and appreciate you for recognizing this behavior. This is a valuable suggestion as this issue occurred after installing Raspberry PI and PI hole. Hence, I suggest you to leave a

Feedback
    for this product so that our developer team can look into this and check if it can be implemented in the future updates

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Dec 23, 2019
  4. I installed Pi Hole but Microsoft Family Screen is broken

Microsoft Family Screen time is BROKEN

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Were you able to perform this task previously?

2. Are you aware of any changes made on your PC, prior to this issue?

As I understand your concern related to Microsoft Family screen time limits, let us try few troubleshooting methods to fix this issue and check if that helps:

Method 1: Fix screen time limits not working. Refer the following article on
    Fix screen time limits not working
    for steps to troubleshoot issue with screen limits.

Method 2: If the issue persists, I suggest you to remove and re-add the child account back to the family account. Refer the article on
    Remove members from your family group
    for steps to remove the child account from the family account. You can refer the following article on

Add members to your family group for steps to add the child account back to your family account.

Hope it helps,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

I installed Pi Hole but Microsoft Family Screen is broken

1. I installed Pi Hole but Microsoft Family Screen is broken - Similar Threads - installed Hole Microsoft

2. Microsoft Account Security Hole

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Account Security Hole: I was getting a lot of "Single use code" emails saying:We received your request for a single-use code to use with your Microsoft account.etc.So as it was linked to an old email address I decide to update my email address.on my microsoft account.I do this and I get a verify...
  3. Microsoft family is broken

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft family is broken: Recently my son has had issues getting on to his desktop because windows says hes offline so he cant send requests. This is quite frustrating as he needs this computer to do his work. Is there anyway he can send a request from his phone or laptop?...
  4. Microsoft family is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft family is broken: Recently my son has had issues getting on to his desktop because windows says hes offline so he cant send requests. This is quite frustrating as he needs this computer to do his work. Is there anyway he can send a request from his phone or laptop?...
  5. Microsoft family is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Microsoft family time broken on weekdays??

Microsoft family time broken on weekdays??: Let me get right to the chase. So i ran out of time, and asked for more. My parent account accepted it multiple requests and yet it still will not allow me to log in. I had this same exact problem last week, and the week before! But for some reason, weekends work... ALSO,...
  7. Microsoft Family Broken

Microsoft Family Broken: My son's laptop is locked. Says wont unlock for another 6 days... If you select request more time.... nothing If you select my parent is here.. it prompts for permission... then takes you to an error screen saying "since you Are an administrator you must send request......
  8. Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests

Pi hole breaks Microsoft Family Screen Time Limit time extension requests: I recently installed a raspberry pi with pi hole in my network which is great for removing ads. Unfortunately, it also breaks the Microsoft family functionality. I think there are multiple things broken, but the first thing I'd like to fix is to allow my kids to request...
  9. Microsoft Family Features are broken.

Microsoft Family Features are broken.: So today i got my dad to allows access into Google chrome. Later on, i tried access google chrome, but it said ask a parent. I think it is broken. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-features-are-broken/e511030d-b746-4bda-99fc-40f9bce57050"
  10. Microsoft Family Screen time is BROKEN

Microsoft Family Screen time is BROKEN: So, my computer shuts off. I send a request to my dad for more screen time. He says that he opened the email and changed my time, right? But then I turn the computer back on, and it says i have no more screen time. HELP I don't know what is wrong. Nothing is changing. And...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft family blocked pi-hole