Windows 10: I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive...

Discus and support I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data old documents of old drive but it keeps linking back to the new drive. The ones that dont... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrianWKnan, Mar 19, 2022.

1. I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive...

installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data old documents of old drive but it keeps linking back to the new drive. The ones that dont have the little loop are just fine to access

:)

BrianWKnan, Mar 19, 2022
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive... :)

dhdude, Mar 19, 2022
  3. Installing old data drive in new computer

My current laptop has two SSD drives (both SATA interface). The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data.

In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD (512GB) and a 1TB HDD (SATA interface).

I plan on using the new M2 drive for operating system and programs.

I want to remove the new 1TB hard drive and replace it with the 2TB SSD (SATA) that contains all my data from my old laptop.

My concern is that I've moved my "documents" folder from C: to D:. If I power up my new laptop, I'm afraid Windows 10 will get confused by having the documents folder (and its subfolders) in two places.

Should I power up my new computer, with new drives in place, and move my documents folder to the new HDD and also set up my current D: drive folder structure on the new drive, minus the actual data.

Then power down the computer and replace the new HDD with my 2TB SSD?

Is this the simplest way to do this or is there a better method?

Thanks so much for your help and time!

theplanckster, Mar 19, 2022
  4. Ed_Mill Win User

I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive...

Using HD from old PC as data drive in new PC

I'm buying a Dell Inspiron 3671 with Windows 10 Home to replace an old Dell Inspiron 580s that's running Windows 7 Professional. I'd like to install the 1 TB hard drive from the old Inspiron 580s in the new Inspiron 3671 as a second drive to use as a data
    drive only. What steps do I need to follow to accomplish this? (If there's a step-by-step guide out there somewhere, I could really use it.)

Ed_Mill, Mar 19, 2022
Thema:

I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive...

1. I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive... - Similar Threads - installed drive trying

2. I have an old drive and no compatible operating system to get data off of it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an old drive and no compatible operating system to get data off of it: I have an old HP simplesave drive that I need to get some data off of, it says it's only compatible with windows versions between XP and 7 and I don't have any computers that aren't updated to windows 10 and past their revert deadline, I'm just wondering short of lucking out...
  3. I have an old drive and no compatible operating system to get data off of it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have an old drive and no compatible operating system to get data off of it: I have an old HP simplesave drive that I need to get some data off of, it says it's only compatible with windows versions between XP and 7 and I don't have any computers that aren't updated to windows 10 and past their revert deadline, I'm just wondering short of lucking out...
  4. Trying to install windows 10 on new drive as I can’t access my old C:. Installation gets...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to install windows 10 on new drive as I can’t access my old C:. Installation gets...: So, my original drive was a PNY SATA SSD 1 TB which is nearing 4 years of age. One day, the SATA drive began to read as PS3111. I discovered this was the "controller" of the SSD and this can occur when there is a corruption issue or power issue and probably other things as...
  5. Trying to install windows 10 on new drive as I can’t access my old C:. Installation gets...

Trying to install windows 10 on new drive as I can’t access my old C:. Installation gets...: So, my original drive was a PNY SATA SSD 1 TB which is nearing 4 years of age. One day, the SATA drive began to read as PS3111. I discovered this was the "controller" of the SSD and this can occur when there is a corruption issue or power issue and probably other things as...
  6. Trying to install windows 10 on new drive as I can’t access my old C:. Installation gets...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive...: installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data old documents of old drive but it keeps linking back to the new drive. The ones that dont have the little loop are just fine to access...
  8. I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive...

I installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data, old documents off old drive...: installed windows on a new drive but I am trying to get data old documents of old drive but it keeps linking back to the new drive. The ones that dont have the little loop are just fine to access...
  9. Installing old data drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing old data drive in new computer: My current laptop has two SSD drives both SATA interface. The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data. In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD 512GB and a 1TB HDD SATA interface. I plan on using the new...
  10. Cloning old drive before installing new drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning old drive before installing new drive: Could you point me in the right direction please ? I have a 120g SSD which I need to replace so I need to clone it so as to re-assign the content to the Adata M.2, PCIe target disc, the slot which is currently held by the 120g will be disabled when I connect the M.2 yet it...