Windows 10: I just did some windows update over night and when i wake up, certain apps greet me with...

Discus and support I just did some windows update over night and when i wake up, certain apps greet me with... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Todosansy [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Todosansy, Jan 15, 2021.

1. I just did some windows update over night and when i wake up, certain apps greet me with...

/u/Todosansy, Jan 15, 2021

2. Can't stop machine waking itself from hibernation

My desktop machine keeps waking itself up from hibernation, usually during the night, despite my having taken all reasonable steps to stop it. I have:
    • disabled waking on network, mouse and RTC in BIOS setup
    • disabled wake on mouse and network in device manager (and checked with powercfg -devicequery wake_armed)
    • disabled "allow wake timers" for all power plans
    It doesn't however wake itself up from S5 (shutdown). I also tried leaving it in S3 sleep for over 24 hours and it didn't wake up, although that's not long enough to be certain that it never would.

Unfortunately my records in Event Viewer only go back a bit over a week to my upgrade to Windows 10, but I did notice a pattern in the first few days of waking at around 00:17 or 00:18 in the morning. Event Viewer suggested that this was due to mcupdate_scheduler, which was scheduled to run at 00:19, so I changed the trigger (following some instructions from Microsoft), but the next night the machine woke earlier, at 23:45. Unfortunately event viewer had no idea what caused that particular event. And today I have just run powercfg -waketimer and apparently there is a task \blah\blah\updateorchestrator\reboot which requires waking the machine just after 02:00 tomorrow morning. Clearly trying to change each individual trigger is a hopeless game of whack-a-mole which will sooner or later result in my wrecking something. How on earth can I stop my machine waking up?

ricecrispies, Jan 15, 2021
  3. How to prevent Windows update from waking up at night to reboot

Hello Erik,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family. I would be happy to assist you.

From the description of the issue, I understand that the mentioned Windows Update service keeps your computer from continuing with the sleep mode.

Please follow the below steps.

• Navigate to the path: Settings > Update window, click on “Advanced Options.”
    • Then you’ll see the first option is about how you’d like to restart your device.
    • Click on the drop-down menu and choose “Notify to schedule restart.”
    [*]Windows Update will ask you to schedule a specific time to restart whenever there is an available update.

Note If your computer is waking up regularly, follow the below steps, as to ascertain what caused it.

• Type in the following command powercfg -lastwake
    To find out which devices are enabled to wake up the PC, enter this command

• Type in the following command powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    Additionally, you may also consider resetting the Power options that Windows have set.

• Type in the following command powercfg –restoredefaultschemes

Hope the above information was helpful. If the issue still persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 15, 2021
  4. I just did some windows update over night and when i wake up, certain apps greet me with...

WINDOWS XP??? WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Installing common software on various distros:

Archlinux: sudo pacman -S <name of soiftware>
    Debian/Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install <name of software>
    Suse: sudo zypper install <name of software>

Or use one of the numerous GUIs sitting on top of the underlying package manager (complete with search! Though even the commandline version have search functionality).

Android: go to Google Play Store, Amazon Market or something else, find thing, press button, thing is installed sometime later.
    iOS: open iTunes, find thing, press button, thing is installed sometime later.

Menawhile, in Windows:

• Google software
    • Find non-malware link
    • Find download section
    • Find download
    • Click correct download button
    • Try n times until successful downalod (where n >= 1)
    • Install software
    Then you have system and software updates:

On Linuxes:

Archlinux: sudo pacman -Syu
    Debian/Ubuntu: sudo apt-get distupgarde
    Suse: sudo zypper upgrade

Or use one of the numerous GUI tools, again, which will come with a nice little popup when it finds updates too.

Android: click popup in notification center (if not auto-updating), press "Update All" button, some time later everything is up to date. Also applies to firmware/OS updates.
    iOS: similar to Android I assume.. I have not personally used an iOS device long enough to know it' s app/OS update UI.

On Windows:
    • Run Windows Update once
    • Install 20 updates
    • Run it again, finds more updates
    • Install these never seen before updates
    • Repeat steps 3 and 4 until no more windows updates
    • Update software that isn' t in Windows Update
    • Repeat step 6 until all software is updated
    I' m sorry, how is Windows easy again? Sure, this is a little extreme (the retry DL n times until successful, but it happens regularly enough on slow connections), but both are real, actual experiences I have semi regularly.

ZeDestructor, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

I just did some windows update over night and when i wake up, certain apps greet me with...

1. I just did some windows update over night and when i wake up, certain apps greet me with... - Similar Threads - did update night

2. I did a windows update and when I came back 30 minutes I was greeted with this

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I did a windows update and when I came back 30 minutes I was greeted with this: 1 hour ago it said getting windows ready do not shutdown your computer now it’s been stuck on this for 30 minutes update: it’s 92% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-did-a-windows-update-and-when-i-came-back-30/e2d9f7d2-0315-4eb0-8c49-06e9124bc175
  3. I did a windows update and when I came back 30 minutes I was greeted with this

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I did a windows update and when I came back 30 minutes I was greeted with this: 1 hour ago it said getting windows ready do not shutdown your computer now it’s been stuck on this for 30 minutes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-did-a-windows-update-and-when-i-came-back-30/e2d9f7d2-0315-4eb0-8c49-06e9124bc175
  4. I did a windows update and when I came back 30 minutes I was greeted with this

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I did a windows update and when I came back 30 minutes I was greeted with this: 1 hour ago it said getting windows ready do not shutdown your computer now it’s been stuck on this for 30 minutes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-did-a-windows-update-and-when-i-came-back-30/e2d9f7d2-0315-4eb0-8c49-06e9124bc175
  5. I just installed windows 11 and when I wake my computer up it opens up the first app on the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just installed windows 11 and when I wake my computer up it opens up the first app on the...: I just installed windows 11 and when I wake my computer up it opens up the first app on the list in my start menu. How do I stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-just-installed-windows-11-and-when-i-wake-my/a2ee77a9-914a-407e-acc6-6412e0da85c7
  6. I just installed windows 11 and when I wake my computer up it opens up the first app on the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I just installed windows 11 and when I wake my computer up it opens up the first app on the...: I just installed windows 11 and when I wake my computer up it opens up the first app on the list in my start menu. How do I stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-just-installed-windows-11-and-when-i-wake-my/a2ee77a9-914a-407e-acc6-6412e0da85c7
  7. win update wakes me up at night

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    win update wakes me up at night: I usually put my pc into sleep mode before going to bed cause there're lots of things going there and I don't want to reopen everything in the morning. The problem is windows sometimes turns the pc on in the middle of the night to install updates. But since there's a...
  8. Computers wake up at night

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computers wake up at night: Right so, to start, it's windows update orchestrator that's waking it up. About fifty percent of the time I put my computers to sleep it'll wake them up at the dead of night and keep them at the lockscreen permanently until I shut the computer down. Multiple times during the...
  9. Greeting when I log in

in Windows 10 Customization
    Greeting when I log in: I had set up my wifi log in to windows to be my name. Recently, it has been hijacked, so that when I log in the greeting has been replaced by "Barker Son and Isherwood LLP" which is a British law firm. How can I get my old greeting back?...
  10. Wake up during Night

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wake up during Night: How can I prevent the UpdateOrchestrator to wake up my computer at night? I already turned off all the other stuff that keeps waking up my computer but now they added a new task "Backup Scan" that keeps waking up the computer at intervals. I don't even have backup turned...