Windows 10: I just discovered something very odd about how Win10 deals with taskbar icons...

Discus and support I just discovered something very odd about how Win10 deals with taskbar icons... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; In an attempt to re-icon all of my shortcuts on my desktop/taskbar to have a coherent theme, I decided to make my own icons for all my programs/games.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tuckertcs, Jul 26, 2020.

1. I just discovered something very odd about how Win10 deals with taskbar icons...

In an attempt to re-icon all of my shortcuts on my desktop/taskbar to have a coherent theme, I decided to make my own icons for all my programs/games. I made sure my icons were pixel-perfect for everything from 16x16 to 256x256 so that no matter what size, it's made exactly rather than stretched.

And well...the taskbar icons are 24x24 (a size I have in my icons) but I found out that the taskbar actually uses 32x32 icons then shrinks them. This is just crap...

Edit: After further testing, I discovered that if an icon only supports a single size (24x24) it STILL will scale it up, then scale it back down, making it blurry. Ho-ly-fuck

submitted by /u/Tuckertcs
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tuckertcs, Jul 26, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jul 26, 2020
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. OzGaffer Win User

I just discovered something very odd about how Win10 deals with taskbar icons...

Can't copy from Win10 taskbar icon's recently used file list?

Just noticed that in Win10 I don't have the option to copy a file from a taskbar icon's most recently used list, whereas I could in Win7.

For Example, let's say you have Word pinned to the taskbar. I recently created a doc called HeyThere.doc. When I right click on the Word icon on the taskbar, I see HeyThere.doc in the most recently used file list for Word. In Win7, I could right click
    on HeyThere.doc and I'd have a "Copy" action available - in Windows 10 that is missing.

Is there something I need to do to enable this extremely helpful shortcut or will I have to take the extra steps of opening the folder, finding the file that needs to be copied, and then selecting it from there? Hopefully it's the former and not the later.

Thanks!

OzGaffer, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

I just discovered something very odd about how Win10 deals with taskbar icons...

1. I just discovered something very odd about how Win10 deals with taskbar icons... - Similar Threads - discovered something very

2. Taskbar icons not showing up/Odd font

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons not showing up/Odd font: Hello all, I am running Windows 10 and am having issues with my task bar icons not showing up. There should normally be 4-5 icons on the taskbar for Chrome, my folders, etc. I went through the support community a couple months ago and did some of their suggestions, but it...
  3. About Taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About Taskbar icons: Good morning,I hope I am not bothering you!I would like to ask you,how I can enlarge the taskbar icons in Win 11?Thank you in advance for your time and the high level of professionalism shown in answering my query!Thank you,have a good day and I will looking forward to...
  4. About Taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About Taskbar icons: Good morning,I hope I am not bothering you!I would like to ask you,how I can enlarge the taskbar icons in Win 11?Thank you in advance for your time and the high level of professionalism shown in answering my query!Thank you,have a good day and I will looking forward to...
  5. Black and Odd Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black and Odd Taskbar Icons: I'm having issues with the icons of a few apps. The apps in question are Microsoft Store, iTunes, Mail, and Halo Wars 2 [ATTACH] ^ ^ ^ ^...
  6. HP Laptop, Win10, keyboard behaving very oddly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Laptop, Win10, keyboard behaving very oddly: Hi, A while ago my friend spilt some wine on his laptop keyboard. Bang & Olufsen Envy, with Windows 10. Since then he's had a very odd problem with it: In most cases it will ONLY type vowels and these vowels are all accented. If he opens an internet browser types...
  7. Very odd taskbar behavior going on.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Very odd taskbar behavior going on.: Since turning on my computer today I cannot right click icons on my taskbar and it is always on top of every program3 even in fullscreen. I've tried sfc /scannow in command prompt and that returned no integrity violations. I really am at a loss as to what to do next. Never...
  8. Something very odd.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something very odd.: I went on my computer and turned on Task Manager and found a process going by "WaasMedic Agent Exe" i don't remember downloading anything yesterday. Is this something bad?[IMG]...
  9. Very strange cosmetic issue dealing with the desktop and taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very strange cosmetic issue dealing with the desktop and taskbar: Recently I've noticed that my taskbar and desktop have been having some issues when I minimize a program or change to another program, sometimes the desktop icons will flicker and sometimes the gray box on the icons on the taskbar will stay as they are. These problems go away...
  10. What's Deal With Win10 Refresh Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    What's Deal With Win10 Refresh Icons: Amongst a bunch of things that REALLY bug me about ver. 10 is it took an HOUR or more (No exaggeration) for the icons in Explorer to show up. Now, I can't get the icons in Cntrl Panel. WTH IS THE PROBLEM with this OS?*Mad*Mad*Mad 48969