Windows 10: I just found out that there's a Microsoft Defender offline mode

Discus and support I just found out that there's a Microsoft Defender offline mode in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] It's the 4th option in the scan options. I absolutely did not know his was there. Found while tinkering in a Windows 10 VM.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/_Bajiru_Win10_, Jul 11, 2021.

1. I just found out that there's a Microsoft Defender offline mode

/u/_Bajiru_Win10_, Jul 11, 2021

2. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

I'll give this thread a little bump and explain what I have tried so far to no avail. After hours of extensive reading about how WDO and now Microsoft Defender Offline scans are not working for some since as far back as 2017 for Windows Defender Offline, I had removed all remnants of Malwarebytes from my registry in an attempt to see if any of those entries were conflicting with the Microsoft Defender Offline Scan.

No dice!

The second thing I tried was a Restore Health function with the DISM command and it reported a successful operation and still the Offline scan won't initiate. Yes, I rebooted after the DISM Restore Health Command.

No Dice gain!

Some articles suggested a repair install; but honestly at this point, if sfc /scannow isn't flagging anything and my OS is completely operational with no Event Viewer Errors and no Reliability History issues of any kind (especially Critical Events) I really can't justify using a repair install that probably will not fix it either.

I mean I literally have no indication that any corruption exists anywhere throughout the OS; yet something that worked before the Cumulative Update is now broken and not a peep of it has been mentioned in any documentation that I came across lately that it is a known issue with the November 11th Cumulative Update for systems on 20H2.

Sure I could restore a full backup image I have to prove that Microsoft Defender Offline Scan worked prior to the update; but who would really be interested in that proof?

I don't understand why this feature was broke on some systems since 2017 and mine remained immune until just now.

So I would really like to hear suggestions if anyone knows how to get this feature working again on this latest Version and Build listed under my Avatar.

Thanks to any and all who have knowledge about how to fix this or if they heard a rumor that this is another feature that is being done away with and I just haven't heard yet.

EyeInTheSky, Jul 11, 2021
  3. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

Restored the Macrium Image and got my Recovery partitions back:

I just found out that there's a Microsoft Defender offline mode [​IMG]

So as expected, I had a bunch of updates to do:

After the updates, I gave Microsoft Defender Offline a try and it worked!

And this just shows that I'm back at the latest version build of 20H2:

This one was my fault and I admit I was the culprit of my own troubles. It was just a coincidence that I used Partition Wizard around the same time the Cumulative Updates were going on from Oct 28th to November 11th and it gave me the suspicion to suspect them being responsible for the Offline scan problem.

I mean who the heck would of ever thought that a Recovery Partition would have anything to do with an Offline Scan in an Online world?

A special thanks to OldNavyGuy for his suggestion that a Windows Recovery Partition being deleted was the problem.

EyeInTheSky, Jul 11, 2021
  4. Whick Win User

I just found out that there's a Microsoft Defender offline mode

Windows Defender Offline for Windows 10

Tried this suggestion and it did not work. Tried to boot from USB with Windows Defender Offline transferred from a safe computer. Would not boot from USB. Message "Secure Boot Violation, Invalid Signature Detected, Check secure boot policy in Setup"
    Any suggestions on next steps for a Windows 10 compatible version of Windows Defender Offline?

Whick, Jul 11, 2021
Thema:

I just found out that there's a Microsoft Defender offline mode

1. I just found out that there's a Microsoft Defender offline mode - Similar Threads - found there's Microsoft

2. The Microsoft Defender offline is stuck.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Microsoft Defender offline is stuck.: I found out there were malicious threats on my laptop windows 11 so I initiated offline scan and now the scan is completed but still the defender is stuck at “Detected threats are being cleaned”. What do I do should I wait more? Or there is some error and I need to restart...
  3. The Microsoft Defender offline is stuck.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Microsoft Defender offline is stuck.: I found out there were malicious threats on my laptop windows 11 so I initiated offline scan and now the scan is completed but still the defender is stuck at “Detected threats are being cleaned”. What do I do should I wait more? Or there is some error and I need to restart...
  4. Just found out passwords are saved in my Microsoft Account!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just found out passwords are saved in my Microsoft Account!: Hello,I just did a factory restore on my Windows 11 laptop, and for the first time I am see messages stating that I don't have to put my password in for my newspaper or supermarket website because Microsoft has saved them. I do NOT, under any circumstances, want Microsoft to...
  5. Just found out passwords are saved in my Microsoft Account!

Just found out passwords are saved in my Microsoft Account!: Hello,I just did a factory restore on my Windows 11 laptop, and for the first time I am see messages stating that I don't have to put my password in for my newspaper or supermarket website because Microsoft has saved them. I do NOT, under any circumstances, want Microsoft to...
  6. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Offline Scan: So my PC can go into BIOS mode and be stuck there for some time even following some guidelines from the Internet. I was worried that my PC has a malware since when I opened an app it jitters and lags for a couple of seconds. When I looked into Microsoft Defender Offline Scan,...
  7. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

Microsoft Defender Offline Scan: So my PC can go into BIOS mode and be stuck there for some time even following some guidelines from the Internet. I was worried that my PC has a malware since when I opened an app it jitters and lags for a couple of seconds. When I looked into Microsoft Defender Offline Scan,...
  8. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Offline Scan: I recently performed the offline scan to make sure my system is running well. I run it a few times but rather than it taking 10-15 minutes, the scan takes about maybe no more than 2 minutes to run before restarting again.So my question is, is it normal/okay for the offline...
  10. Microsoft Defender Offline Scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Offline Scan: I can't get the Windows Defender Offline (Excuse me, it is now known as Microsoft Defender Offline) scan to start. I tried it from PowerShell, I've tried it from CMD Prompt both with administrative rights and I've even tried from the GUI of the program itself. I had read...