Windows 10: I just got a new pc and was trying to organise my files by moving some in my HDD from my...

Discus and support I just got a new pc and was trying to organise my files by moving some in my HDD from my... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/chumpy420 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/chumpy420, May 18, 2020.

1. I just got a new pc and was trying to organise my files by moving some in my HDD from my...

/u/chumpy420, May 18, 2020
  2. AlainD Win User

Organising the Windows 10 Start Menu - Cannot move (or delete) Groove Music icon

On my new Windows 10 (v1803) PC there are a bunch of strange pre-installed applications, like Groove Music. These clutter up the Start Menu > All Apps list with no hierarchy, just all on the same level. I'd like to organise these icons into separate, logical folders on the Start Menu.

I just got a new pc and was trying to organise my files by moving some in my HDD from my... eNtoy.png

Searching online I've found several articles describing how you can (attempt to) uninstall these Windows Store applications, but nothing about how to move or remove the icons. I'm not (yet!) looking to uninstall the app, just to organise the Start Menu into something more logical and less cluttered.

In previous versions of Windows, a user could create a folder called (say) Windows Stuff in the appropriate path. Then you could drag the icons into this folder. After acknowledging the UAC prompt the icon has moved. Great! With these new Windows 10 "Universal" applications, however, I can't seem to do anything with them.

Things I have tried:

• Navigated to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. No icons or .lnk files for these Windows metro apps are visible.
    • Navigated to C:\Users\[ME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. Likewise, none of these metro apps appear.
    • Used WIN+R and then shell:AppsFolder to actually view installed applications. Here I can see the ZuneMusic application (see below), but I can neither delete, uninstall or move it.

I just got a new pc and was trying to organise my files by moving some in my HDD from my... Cv0DN.png

• Tried grabbing the icon directly in the Start Menu and dragging it...but a No Entry symbol appears and the icon cannot be moved or removed.
    • If you right-click the icon there is no option to Move or Delete the icon (nor even to Uninstall the application, although this is not what I'm looking to do).

How do you get control over the Start Menu in Windows 10 (in a similar way to Windows 7 or Windows XP)?

Update

After many different searches, I stumbled on this old article which suggests organising these strange "Universal" Windows Store apps may not be possible.

The article is ~3 years old and from an earlier version of Windows 10 so hopefully (a) Microsoft have fixed this in v1803 and/or (b) any reader knows the technical steps required to organise these applications that the original author did not.

AlainD, May 18, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 18, 2020
  4. I just got a new pc and was trying to organise my files by moving some in my HDD from my...

Need some help with moving HDD

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not really knowledgeable with this.

I'm trying to hook up my old harddrive (from my old AGP) onto my new computer.

The reason for this is because there are files that I need from that harddrive.

Would someone care to explain how can I do this step by step, would be appreciated.

There is still Windows XP os installed on that hdd and what not, would that be a problem?

Thanks *Toast :toast:

4eVaCrazIe, May 18, 2020
Thema:

I just got a new pc and was trying to organise my files by moving some in my HDD from my...

1. I just got a new pc and was trying to organise my files by moving some in my HDD from my... - Similar Threads - got was trying

2. i have upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and hdd i have tried to move my windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and hdd i have tried to move my windows 10...: hi,i have upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and hdd i deactivated my windows 10 license and now it will not activate my windows 10 new install.this was an upgrade from win 7 which i have a purchased copy is there anything i can do.thank you...
  3. i have upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and hdd i have tried to move my windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and hdd i have tried to move my windows 10...: hi,i have upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and hdd i deactivated my windows 10 license and now it will not activate my windows 10 new install.this was an upgrade from win 7 which i have a purchased copy is there anything i can do.thank you...
  4. i have upgraded my pc with a new motherboard and hdd i have tried to move my windows 10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I got my files back, Some of my files lost for moving them into temp files got back after...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I got my files back, Some of my files lost for moving them into temp files got back after...: I moved my files into temp because I didn't know happen after used shutdown /r because I thought my files are gone and I need to move them. After restart I got all of my files back but still lost documents, desktop, downloads anyways to get them back? I searched in TEMP but...
  6. I got my files back, Some of my files lost for moving them into temp files got back after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I got my files back, Some of my files lost for moving them into temp files got back after...: I moved my files into temp because I didn't know happen after used shutdown /r because I thought my files are gone and I need to move them. After restart I got all of my files back but still lost documents, desktop, downloads anyways to get them back? I searched in TEMP but...
  7. I got my files back, Some of my files lost for moving them into temp files got back after...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. I just got a new pc and I’m trying to move my Minecraft bedrock account to it

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I just got a new pc and I’m trying to move my Minecraft bedrock account to it: I just got a new pc and and my trying to move my Minecraft bedrock account to it but when I try to download it it says I have to buy it again. I moved my Java edition easily but this Is giving me problems....
  9. Onedrive didn't move my files to the new hdd location

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Onedrive didn't move my files to the new hdd location: I just got a new HDD to pair with my Optane memory. Since I have the space I wanted to free up space on my main NVME and move all my OneDrive files to the new drive. I unlinked my account and copied the folder to the new location. Re-linked my account to Onedrive, setting...
  10. Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving to a new SSD from my HDD and what the entails: I bought an SSD and am going to make that my main drive/boot drive. I plan to transfer my windows 10 digital license to it, which I've been lead to believe is a thing. I want to know if that is possible and, more importantly, what is going to happen to the files on my old...