Windows 10: I just had an UPDATE and now my display has symbols for characters .... help

Discus and support I just had an UPDATE and now my display has symbols for characters .... help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have seen some suggestions for fixing but when I try to do it again... all characters are symbols so cannot read what to select... I did do a font... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeRoyBarto, Oct 6, 2020.

1. I just had an UPDATE and now my display has symbols for characters .... help

I have seen some suggestions for fixing but when I try to do it again... all characters are symbols so cannot read what to select... I did do a font translate copy and paste a file name I knew on my desk top and the online site displayed it in English... so it is a symbol thing

I just had an UPDATE and now my display has symbols for characters  .... help fec07d73-806c-43a6-a439-2ae09baa61b2?upload=true.jpg

:)

LeRoyBarto, Oct 6, 2020

2. resetting keyboard symbols

Hi Carol,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to remove English UK and just have the default English US under keyboard input language and check.

Step 1:To keep English US as the default input language and to remove other installed services

a. Type Settings in the search bar and click on the setting symbol on the top right.

b. Click on Time and Languages.

c. Click on Region and Languages.

d. Under the languages tab.

e. Click and Change the language to English US.

Step 2:Use on screen keyboard to type the characters (@, “)

To use on-screen keyboard, follow the steps below.

a. Click on Start; type “On-screen” without quotes and hit Enter.

b. Now check if you’re able to get right characters.

Let us know if it helps or post back for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Oct 6, 2020
  3. Ray.TJ Win User
    INSERT SYMBOLS

A couple of days ago I asked how to get capital letters with accents (circumflex). I got a very prompt answer suggesting a couple of methods including changing the character code on the symbols submenu. This worked very well but I didn't note the original
    character code which produces most of my commonly used symbols.

What is this code please and is there a list of alternate character codes together with what symbols they produce?

Many thanks

RayTJ

Ray.TJ, Oct 6, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

I just had an UPDATE and now my display has symbols for characters .... help

type a symbol or character representing more or less

@budi

Re-reading your post, looks like you're needing this:

≥ (ALT + 242)

≤ (ALT + 243)

*Arrow Alt Codes List of Alt Key Codes Symbols

f14tomcat, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

I just had an UPDATE and now my display has symbols for characters .... help

1. I just had an UPDATE and now my display has symbols for characters .... help - Similar Threads - UPDATE display has

2. Windows just had an update now my keyboard and mouse don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows just had an update now my keyboard and mouse don't work: Windows just had an update and now my keyboard and mouse don't work but they work in bios iv tried changing ports and nothing iv tried different mouse and keyboad and nothing seems to work can someone help me please...
  3. Windows just had an update now my keyboard and mouse don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows just had an update now my keyboard and mouse don't work: Windows just had an update and now my keyboard and mouse don't work but they work in bios iv tried changing ports and nothing iv tried different mouse and keyboad and nothing seems to work can someone help me please...
  4. Windows just had an update now my keyboard and mouse don't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Suspicious about an update I just had

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspicious about an update I just had: First off, what I'm about to describe may be just completely normal and this is a big waste of time, but I tend to get very paranoid about potential malware or viruses and I'm not exactly the best when it comes to computer stuff. Please bear with me.When I restarted my...
  6. altcodes generate incorrect characters/symbols

in Windows 10 Gaming
    altcodes generate incorrect characters/symbols: Hi,Further to this closed thread:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alt-codes-not-working-on-certain-apps-under/39b7028e-9078-4bba-9bcb-dd09caa7d721altcodes still generating wrong characters/symbols. Final posting on thread states "This bug has been fixed...
  7. I had just installed the new windows update and now solitaire not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I had just installed the new windows update and now solitaire not working: I got the new update on my desktop and laptop tonight 5/30/2021, and now the wife and I can not get Microsoft Solitaire Collection to work. I don't want to lose our progress by resetting the game app. How do I fix this problem?...
  8. I had a windows update on the 11th and just realized my D drive has disappeared?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I had a windows update on the 11th and just realized my D drive has disappeared?: I had a windows update on the 11th and just realized my D drive has disappeared? Tried to roll back to that prior version but the restore doesn't work. Help that is where i store my billing information for work i update it monthly....
  9. My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters: Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I...
  10. Symbols are not displayed after Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Symbols are not displayed after Windows update: I encountered this problem after the Windows update in October. The symbols like a star symbol are not displayed instead I see a square that usually appears when the symbol cannot be displayed...