Windows 10: I just lost my hard drive and it's stating it cannot find the OS

Discus and support I just lost my hard drive and it's stating it cannot find the OS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Win7 Ultimate, I did the free Win 10 update and couldn't have been pleased more. I just lost my hard drive and it's stating it cannot find the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FrankDeRosa, Nov 14, 2018.

1. I just lost my hard drive and it's stating it cannot find the OS

I have Win7 Ultimate, I did the free Win 10 update and couldn't have been pleased more. I just lost my hard drive and it's stating it cannot find the OS. I have my win7 product key but not a win 10 product key. What do I need to do to do an install?

:)

FrankDeRosa, Nov 14, 2018
  2. little cat, Nov 25, 2018
  3. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown I just lost my hard drive and it's stating it cannot find the OS :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Nov 25, 2018
  4. I just lost my hard drive and it's stating it cannot find the OS

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

I just lost my hard drive and it's stating it cannot find the OS

1. I just lost my hard drive and it's stating it cannot find the OS - Similar Threads - lost hard drive

2. Finding my hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Finding my hard drives: The June MS updates crashed my Windows 10 and I couldn't find any way to recover it, so I had to reinstall Windows. I had two multi-TB physical drives with multiple partitions each. I had 2 system partitions for Windows and a backup Windows, a huge data partition, and a data...
  3. Finding my hard drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding my hard drives: The June MS updates crashed my Windows 10 and I couldn't find any way to recover it, so I had to reinstall Windows. I had two multi-TB physical drives with multiple partitions each. I had 2 system partitions for Windows and a backup Windows, a huge data partition, and a data...
  4. Finding my hard drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Back Up cannot find external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back Up cannot find external hard drive: Hi,I'm trying to do a complete back up of my computer on an external drive using Backup on Windows 10.I've tried 5 different external drives and so far only one an SSD drive can be found while the other 4 not SSD are not found.I don't know if the fact that the only drive that...
  6. solid state and hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    solid state and hard drives: I have a HP Laptop 17-by3065st,os is windows 10. I have both a ssd and hdd my ssd is low on free space my hdd 1TB has plenty. is there a way to have the HDD drive D: be the primary and keep the SSD drive C: just for windows os? Thanx in advance Jim...
  7. I cannot Seem to Find My Drive

I cannot Seem to Find My Drive: I bought a laptop and it had only 32GB harddrive, after installing windows there was no space to install office anf even work on the computer. The laptop had a space for a second external drive to be added. I bought a 500GB harddrive and installed it. With the help of...
  8. Lost hard drives

Lost hard drives: I have a somewhat complicated set up with two computers, a main and the backup, and a large number of peripherals that are attached to switches to move them between the two computers. The problem I have is on my main computer and concerns three USB external hard drives. They...
  9. I lost my hard drive and my license?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I lost my hard drive and my license?: Hi everyone recently i lost my hard drive. Before installing a new windows 10 in another hard drive im wondering what will happen with my old windows 10 key, its lost i supose, i don't have any backup avaliable. Then i started to run some recovery stuff to my broken hard...
  10. OS hard drive

OS hard drive: I recently installed a second hard drive for more data storage and now my computer thinks the OS is on a flash drive and won't update Windows 10. The original hard drive (C:) contains the OS and is identified in the system as bus number 0. The new hard drive (J:) contains...