Windows 10: I just reformatted my C: drive and reinstalled Windows 10... "It looks like the hardware on...

Discus and support I just reformatted my C: drive and reinstalled Windows 10... "It looks like the hardware on... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just removed some additional hard drive and left my main C: drive on for reformat/reinstall. When I went to reactivate windows, it gave me the error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Phoenix87, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Phoenix87 Win User

I just reformatted my C: drive and reinstalled Windows 10... "It looks like the hardware on...

I just removed some additional hard drive and left my main C: drive on for reformat/reinstall. When I went to reactivate windows, it gave me the error message "It looks like the hardware on this device has changed. Make sure you're connected to the Internet and try again later. Error code: 0xC0EA000A"

I have reinstalled windows in the past and have not encountered this error.

When I log into my Microsoft account and look at devices, I can see my desktop computer and laptop. My desktop computer shows all the correct hardware specifications.

When I try to troubleshoot the activation error, my only option to continue is to hit the "I changed hardware on my device" and then it asks me if I am using my Laptop device but doesn't give me the option to select my desktop device, even though it appears on my account.

I am signed in with the correct account. Using the automated Microsoft online help does not connect me to Microsoft support. So I'm not sure how to continue from here.

This version of Windows 10 was part of the free upgrade from Windows 8. I have changed hardware in the past and continued to activate windows without any errors. I had not made any hardware changes with this reformat, so I'm not sure why it is causing me a problem at this point. I don't have a CD Key, just the online license which appears in the device section of my Microsoft Account.

:)

Phoenix87, Dec 20, 2020
  2. Ramon Imp Win User

Reformatting the c drive

Hi,

To better assist you with your concern, we would like to know the following:

• What the exact error message that you're getting when you try to reformat your C: drive?
    • Why do you want to reformat your your C: drive?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve the issue?
    • Did you make any significant changes to your computer prior to the issue?

We look forward to your reply.

Ramon Imp, Dec 20, 2020
  3. Reformatting the c drive

I am formatting my c drive to remove all the junk from it and I have backed up everything that I need onto an external hard drive, but when I try to reformat the c drive it says that if I do so my PC will stop working because it cannot reformat that volume.
    I don't have the windows cd or and cd that came with the laptop and I also only want to reformat my c drive and nothing else. i have windows 10. do you have any suggestions?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Maximus_The_Grate, Dec 20, 2020
  4. I just reformatted my C: drive and reinstalled Windows 10... "It looks like the hardware on...

New CPU + New Mobo = Reformat?

Yea, to get the full potential of your new hardware, I would reformat and reinstall like everyone has suggested. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

I just reformatted my C: drive and reinstalled Windows 10... "It looks like the hardware on...

1. I just reformatted my C: drive and reinstalled Windows 10... "It looks like the hardware on... - Similar Threads - reformatted drive reinstalled

2. Trying to reformat my windows drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to reformat my windows drive.: About a year and a 1/2 ago I wiped my computer. But while doing so, my C drive was 1 TB and it got formatted into 400 GB. I just wiped my computer again. And I'm trying to make my c drive back to A Terabyte. No matter what I do I can't wipe it or reformat it. And I don't know...
  3. Cascading BSOD Issues despite drive reformat & windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cascading BSOD Issues despite drive reformat & windows reinstall: Help!For the last month, I've had increasingly frequent random BSOD occurrences. The first time it happened was when I was playing BG3 on Steam. After the initial BSOD, there was cascading BSOD with different stop codes anytime my computer attempted to reboot. It was only...
  4. Cascading BSOD Issues despite drive reformat & windows reinstall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cascading BSOD Issues despite drive reformat & windows reinstall: Help!For the last month, I've had increasingly frequent random BSOD occurrences. The first time it happened was when I was playing BG3 on Steam. After the initial BSOD, there was cascading BSOD with different stop codes anytime my computer attempted to reboot. It was only...
  5. Change my C: Drive to just C:\ permanently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change my C: Drive to just C:\ permanently: How do i change my C:\user to C:\ permanently, even when I'm using the command. It always open to User. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-my-c-drive-to-just-c-permanently/11b763b1-ba72-4668-a1c6-50a4ab8b6791
  6. Change my C: Drive to just C:\ permanently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change my C: Drive to just C:\ permanently: How do i change my C:\user to C:\ permanently, even when I'm using the command. It always open to User. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-my-c-drive-to-just-c-permanently/11b763b1-ba72-4668-a1c6-50a4ab8b6791
  7. format my C drive and reinstall windows 10 home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    format my C drive and reinstall windows 10 home: I have an ASUS K52JC which came with its HD partitioned into Drives C & D and had Windows 7 Home Premium OS. The CD/DVD drive quit functioning at one point and I never found a fix for that problem. After upgrading to Windows 10 Home, I also used software to combine the two...
  8. Windows 10 reformatted my NTFS drive to be a GPT drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 reformatted my NTFS drive to be a GPT drive: This is a very weird problem. So I am just going to present what happened and see if anyone has ever heard of this. :-) I was using Windows XP. I have a Dell laptop and I am using XPx86 version. My laptop has 8GB of memory - only 4GB are being used. I had no idea, when I...
  9. Windows 10 firewall on looking to map a drive to the computer c drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 firewall on looking to map a drive to the computer c drive.: Hello, I have windows 10 computers with the firewall turned of for all networks. One of the things that I am trying to find out is how to allow mapping by admins. I would like to do it through group policy for all computers in the agency. Anyone know. Also if you know how...
  10. Reinstalling windows 10 on same (C) drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling windows 10 on same (C) drive: hello, i have 1 tb harddisk with C,D,E drives..my OS is on C drive ,, i have created back up of all drives in external..i am reinstaling OS on C drive where i had previously win10 15014insider preivew.. i am getting rid of insider preview and get back to current branch...