Windows 10: I keep being unable to access my own files

Discus and support I keep being unable to access my own files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I create a new file, I can't access it, or even view it in Windows Explorer. I can't save files, etc. It's infuriating. I've tried all the usual... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by lyle_zhotmail.com, Nov 30, 2018.

1. I keep being unable to access my own files

When I create a new file, I can't access it, or even view it in Windows Explorer. I can't save files, etc. It's infuriating. I've tried all the usual things. I've changed the permissions, the access, I've changed the ownership to my account, and I'm using an instance of Windows Explorer opened as Administrator. I change the permissions using Cygwin, which is the ONLY way I can even briefly access my files, and then the permissions revert back to the same unusable permissions that they were. Some paranoid idiot at Microsoft must have created a service that automatically and repeatedly sets files permissions to the most paranoid value imaginable. This has got to stop!!

The latest Windows upgrade is a huge downgrade. This really needs to be fixed. I've Googled this. I don't want workarounds. I shouldn't have to spend hours jumping through endless hoops and trouble shooting. I want it fixed. I've also been having a lot of trouble with Office 365 (the latest version).

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/30/2018, 17:47:21

Machine name:

Machine Id: {39BC0826-743F-4ECA-AFBE-66A14FBE533C}

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron 3650

BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/17/16 21:14:07 Ver: 05.0000B (type: BIOS)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8096MB RAM

Page File: 7369MB used, 3286MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

:)

lyle_zhotmail.com, Nov 30, 2018

2. Unable to access files, folders and other drivers, error: Working on it

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to access files and folders in Windows Explorer, this issue might be due to corrupted or missing System files.

I suggest you to Run SFC scan and check if you are able to access Files and folders.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 30, 2018
  3. Unable to view photos and files as there is no permissions to access them on Windows 10

Hi Kiwi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the files, pictures on your device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to files and pictures?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to provide permission to the folder and check if that helps.

Steps to give permissions to the drive:

• Right-click on the folder which you’re unable to access and select
      Properties.

• Click on Security tab and under
      Group or user names
      click on Edit.

• Click on Add and type Everyone.

• Click on Check names and then click
      OK.

• Select Everyone and under
      Allow
      select Full control and click on
      Apply and Click Ok.

For reference go through the below article:

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the files and photos for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 30, 2018
  4. DRDNA Win User

I keep being unable to access my own files

Recover access database

Looks like you will need to rebuild the whole thing but at least you have the data still, right?
    EDIT: Wait did you try this?

Convert a database to the Access 2007 file format

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/a...-the-access-2007-file-format-HA010048406.aspx

You cannot convert a replicated database to the Office Access 2007 file format. However, you can use Access 2007 to create a replica of a database that is formatted in either the Access 2000 or the Access 2002 - 2003 file format.

More copy and paste:
    [paste:font size="5"]Convert an Access 97 database, Convert an Access 95 database, or Convert an Access 2.0 database.
    • Click the Microsoft Office Button
      I keep being unable to access my own files [​IMG]
      , point to Save As, and then, under Save the database in another format, click the file format to which you want to convert.
    • If any database objects are open when you use the Save Database As command, Access prompts you to close them prior to creating the copy. Click Yes to make Access close the objects, or click No to cancel the entire process. If needed, Access will also prompt you to save any changes.
    • In the Save As dialog box, type a file name in the File name box, and then click Save.
    Access creates the copy of the database, and then opens the copy. Access automatically closes the original database.

Here is a short and sweet version: http://www.ehow.com/how_7339817_convert-2003-database-access-2007.html

DRDNA, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

I keep being unable to access my own files

1. I keep being unable to access my own files - Similar Threads - keep being unable

2. I've denied myself access to my own archive file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I've denied myself access to my own archive file.: Hello, in efforts to prevent people from accessing my files on my hardrive I archived these files and set all permissions to deny. Apparently I also denied the admin account permission as well and here now is my problem. I cannot view the .rar contents since the main issue...
  3. Unable to access my files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to access my files: HiI updated Windows this week.Last night I rebooted my laptop and now I can't access anything. Is this because of the update again as its happened before?How do I reverse the update?RegardsNeil...
  4. unable to access files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to access files: I am getting the error 0xc000007b when trying to load up various applications. I have done some research on the topic and ended up on one last thing I could try to do to fix it. I downloaded files that should be in the sysWOW64 folder because I would need to replace them....
  5. why am I being denied access to my own things

why am I being denied access to my own things: why am I being denied access to my own things? How do I keep the person who stole my identity SUPER USER OUT OF MY SYSTEM??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-being-denied-access-to-my-own-things/d657f2e1-951c-46fa-b4a3-8bd7df2c4cd0
  6. WHY AM I BEING DENIED ACCESS TO MY OWN COMPUTER!?!?!

WHY AM I BEING DENIED ACCESS TO MY OWN COMPUTER!?!?!: Seriously Microsoft. I've had ENOUGH of this. This is the 23rd time to be exact. Every time there is a windows 10 update. Suddenly I lose permission to access to my own computer. Which seems shady and I doubt is even legal. This issue needs fixed. I'm tired of having to...
  7. I am unable to open my own files on my own, newly purchased, Windows 10 laptop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I am unable to open my own files on my own, newly purchased, Windows 10 laptop.: I am the owner and only user of this computer. This seems to have happened just this week, because I think I have accessed files in this same folder before. Please advise....
  8. unable to access files

unable to access files: i used bitlocker to encrypt usb drive and after updating windows to 10 can't open those files anymore https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-files/a2b6ce15-31a4-402d-9f54-f0ac6d63276b"
  9. I don't have access to my own files

I don't have access to my own files: Whenever I try to save an edit of a .txt file, delete files, or move videos from one folder to another, a pop-up appears saying that I do not have permission to do that and to contact the owner or an administrator. I am the owner and admin. I've gone into the files'...
  10. why my file keep being deleted?

why my file keep being deleted?: Hi, I am facing this problem several times. i worked my files on Mac. i open on onedrive folder on my computer. before i close my word file, i save it. but, after that, i can not find it in on onedrive folder. i go to the website onedrive, and check the recycle bin....