Windows 10: I keep getting the message The directory is invalid but there is nothing in that drive

Discus and support I keep getting the message The directory is invalid but there is nothing in that drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My computer keeps popping up with a message G:\ The directory is invalid. But there is nothing in drive G:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CherylStyles, Feb 14, 2019.

1. I keep getting the message The directory is invalid but there is nothing in that drive

My computer keeps popping up with a message G:\ The directory is invalid. But there is nothing in drive G:

:)

CherylStyles, Feb 14, 2019

2. Message: " D:\ The directory name is invalid"

Hello Glyn,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and Thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. The D:\ drive, Is it a Hard Drive partition or CD/DVD drive?

2. When exactly do you get this error message?

3. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

You may follow the below methods and check.

Method 1: If you are facing this issue with Hard Drive partition, you may please refer to the suggestion given by Harshavardhan Rathod on September 9 and check if it helps.

Please use the command format given below to perform Check Disk.

chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r

Example: chkdsk C: /f /r

F:\ The directory name is invalid

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Method 2: If you are facing this issue with CD/DVD drive, you may follow the suggestion given by

Afshinbahramy on August 8 and check if it helps.

error: H:/ The directory name is invalid.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Feb 14, 2019
  3. directory name invalid - pop up box

Please help - keep getting a pop up box stating - directory name invalid - G drive ? I don't have a G drive ? Suggestions please

MaddisonBeattie, Feb 14, 2019
  4. I keep getting the message The directory is invalid but there is nothing in that drive

invalid directory

Thanks so much for your help, i did everything step by step, still get e:/invalid directory. I will try to make maybe windows player my default, i have been using cyber power2go to burn with...

again thanks anyway

orlando

orlandolewellen, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

I keep getting the message The directory is invalid but there is nothing in that drive

1. I keep getting the message The directory is invalid but there is nothing in that drive - Similar Threads - keep getting message

2. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  3. the directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    the directory name is invalid: after windows 10 install i get this message when i try to use my cd dvd playrt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-directory-name-is-invalid/c926c407-ebdd-4730-91de-be27bec8ff9e
  4. External CD Drive "the directory name is invalid"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External CD Drive "the directory name is invalid": Hi MS communityI've been having a problem with CDs tonight and it has driven up the wall! Every time I insert a CD into any of the 3 computers that run Windows 10 in my house they all come back with the same error that the directory is invalid. These are brand new never...
  5. Invalid JAVA_HOME directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    Invalid JAVA_HOME directory: Hi, so I'm programming in Flutter and I had a problem once, it told me to download JDK, so I did. Everything worked fine until I changed the directory of JDK and JAVA_HOME D:\jdk ---> C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-16.0.1. Now this error ocurrs: FAILURE: Build failed with an...
  6. Directory is INVALID

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Directory is INVALID: I have got excel, access and tableau files on my desktop and whenever I am double-clicking them I am getting message Directory is invalid. When I try opening it using right click it is getting open. Also when I am reaching file through users... same path it is getting...
  7. Error message is "D:\the directory name is invalid"

Error message is "D:\the directory name is invalid": Having problems with playing my external dvd player. Error message is "D:\the directory name is invalid". How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-message-is-dthe-directory-name-is-invalid/e389ba4a-9273-417f-835a-809a6c8e19c3
  8. The Directory Name Is Invalid

The Directory Name Is Invalid: Today I updated this laptop. Now all I see for the last 5 hours is this message: The directory name is invalid error message won't stop since I updated this PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. What do I have to clear or change or reset to get this to stop showing up,...
  9. The Directory Name Is Invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    The Directory Name Is Invalid: OK, here's my situation. I have a Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra external USB hard drive. I use this as a media drive on my WD TV Live Plus media player. For some unknown reason, the media player will sometimes corrupt files on the My Passport drive. The net effect is...
  10. directory name is invalid

in Windows 10 Support
    directory name is invalid: Hi I have just got this new desktop pc. After an update I am getting this annoying message, E:/ The directory name is invalid. I don't know what I have done. I did anything. I searched Google and found a post on this forum but I can't find the actual answer to the post. Just...