Windows 10: I know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...

Discus and support I know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; ... there are some menu items that are not found in either, and I want to be able to move them to a Start menu folder. For example, I have a Dell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Richard Noël, Apr 16, 2019.

1. I know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...

... there are some menu items that are not found in either, and I want to be able to move them to a Start menu folder. For example, I have a Dell notebook that, when tools were installed, it created a folder in the Start menu named Dell but also created two icons in the Start menu, one named Dell Digital Delivery and the other Dell Precision Optimizer. I want to move these two icons into the Dell folder but, for the life of me, I can't find where the shortcuts are (if they are even shortcuts) or figure out how/why they got added to the Start menu rather than being added to the folder named Dell.

The above is just an example. There are other icons in the Start menu that I would like to move into folders so that the Start menu is less cluttered but, the shortcut for them is not located in Start Menu under either AppData or ProgramData.

Ideas ?

:)

Richard Noël, Apr 16, 2019
  2. Jelu Cal Win User

ProgramData-filder backup

Hi,

The ProgramData folder is usually located in the C: drive of your device. To locate the ProgramData folder, you can perform the following:

• In File Explorer, click on the View tab.
    • Click on Options.
    • In the Folder Options window, click on the View tab.
    • Under the Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
    • Click on Apply.
    • Click on OK.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Jelu Cal, Apr 16, 2019
  3. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

Hi Watson,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

We would suggest you to follow the below step and let us know if that helps you.

Check for the mutant file "ms-resource:AppName/Text".
    and delete it from the below location.

• C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 16, 2019
  4. slance310 Win User

I know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...

Shortcuts copied to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs don't show up on the Start Menu

Hi,

Folders\Shortcuts in that location will not appear as tiles, but should appear on the list on the left side of the start screen...

The primary location for those folders\files is C:\ProgramData\Start Menu\Programs, but you will need to take ownership\change permissions to access it...

BTW... The C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are some of the programs that actually launch st Startup and appear in the Taskmanager… Startup Tab...

slance310, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

I know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...

1. I know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ... - Similar Threads - menu items located

2. I also know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I also know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...: I know about the following two locations for start menu items:%programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programsand%appdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/ProgramsHowever, there are menu items that are not found in either of those two locations and I want to be able to move...
  3. I also know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I also know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...: I know about the following two locations for start menu items:%programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programsand%appdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/ProgramsHowever, there are menu items that are not found in either of those two locations and I want to be able to move...
  4. I also know about the menu items located in AppData and ProgramData but ...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can AppData or ProgramData be replaced with shortcuts to other drives?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can AppData or ProgramData be replaced with shortcuts to other drives?: I'm gradually running out of space on C:. I've moved most large folders to other drives that I know are safe to move. However, two of the biggest remaining storage hogs are C:\ProgramData (44 GB) and my own AppData (28 GB), which is also on C:. Would it be possible to move...
  6. Remove Windows 10 Blank Menu Items from Deleted AppData

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove Windows 10 Blank Menu Items from Deleted AppData: I deleted my windows store and a bunch of apps and AppData files. How do I make these go away? [ATTACH] #MS-RESOURCE:APPNAME App "Friendly" Name. 176325
  7. Curiosity about the Hidden AppData

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Curiosity about the Hidden AppData: I have a question regarding AppData. I downloaded an app in my D drive games but it told me that the AppData is located in my C drive. Now I'm wondering why does it go in my C Drive if the app that I downloaded is in my D drive? Will it complicate stuff? I'm just curious....
  8. Start menu in appdata

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu in appdata: I accidentally deleted the folder in User\nijith\appdata\roaming\.... start menu folder now iam unable to open windows powershell. please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-in-appdata/da6bf4f0-d315-4dfb-a269-0ecd5cecf37c
  9. location of item scanned

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    location of item scanned: where does Windows 10 send scans to. I have searched pictures Jpeg and documents can't find the scan I have done today anywhere. On Windows 7 the scan always came up on the screen immediately....
  10. AppData and ProgramData are they now hidden??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AppData and ProgramData are they now hidden??: Hello in the past, I was able to open and inspect files in AppData Roaming and ProgramData folders on C:\Users\.... These two folder destinations are not there anymore BUT until the last update. They were in the directory for years, and I need to access AppData Roaming for...