Windows 10: I know this has been asked but nothing is helping. Local or MS Account?

Discus and support I know this has been asked but nothing is helping. Local or MS Account? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have the lastest Win 11 update on a PC. I just did a Reset this PC and I cannot find anywhere, no where anyone suggests, to see if I can find if it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by jackdashack, Apr 24, 2024.

1. I know this has been asked but nothing is helping. Local or MS Account?

I have the lastest Win 11 update on a PC. I just did a Reset this PC and I cannot find anywhere, no where anyone suggests, to see if I can find if it restored me to a MS Account or Local. I originally wanted Local Account as it was before the Reset. I believe it's Reset me with a MS Account and most folks know MS is making darned hard to find out how to switch. I've been everywhere sites have suggested. [Change to Local Account] no longer shows under Manage or anywhere I've found yet. It used to just say Local Account under my photo, but that's gone I guess to make it harder to find out. How,

:)

jackdashack, Apr 24, 2024

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Apr 24, 2024
  3. DavidY Win User
    MS Acct vs Local acct

But, when used as a login to Windows on a computer (which is all a local account can do) neither can a Microsoft Account!

With the exception that the very first time you login you need to provide a 2-step code, but the problem is it never seems to ask again for a 2-step code.

In the scenario that an attacker has access to my laptop and knows my password, then assuming I've logged in once, the 2-step verification provides no more security, except that the attacker might have access to more things with a Microsoft Account, such as easy access to email.

Sadly the 2-step verification doesn't seem to protect in this scenario.

You'll note who asked the first question on that tutorial. *Wink

Here's the thing - I'm actually quite a fan of 2-step verification, and if it asked me for a 2-step password when I logged into Windows (at least sometimes, or gave me a checkbox to not remember the device) then there would be an advantage over a local account. Hence my question on that tutorial. But as it is, 2-step verification is a bit pointless as far as logging into a computer is concerned, because it remembers the device, seemingly for ever, and an old-fashioned 1-step password is all you need to login.

Incidentally this page says:
    ... but I just tried logging back in to the test account I set up in Feb 2014 in Windows 8 when I was working through that tutorial. I haven't logged into that account on that computer for ages (certainly more than 2 months) but it still didn't ask me for an authenticator code.

Fair point - you can see who's logged in - although it's unhelpful that the MS Account suggests you logged into Internet Explorer when all you've done is log into a PC - that log could be clearer.

In general, my suspicion is that MS accounts have more ways to go wrong than a local one. I'm still not convinced that I should change my policy of keeping an admin-level local account on each device for maintenance and recovery purposes.

DavidY, Apr 24, 2024
  4. Kari Win User

I know this has been asked but nothing is helping. Local or MS Account?

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

I know this has been asked but nothing is helping. Local or MS Account? 110153d1485973971t-creating-ms-account-without-losing-local-account-image.png

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Thema:

I know this has been asked but nothing is helping. Local or MS Account?

1. I know this has been asked but nothing is helping. Local or MS Account? - Similar Threads - has been asked

2. I know this has been asked but nothing is helping. Local or MS Account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I know this has been asked but nothing is helping. Local or MS Account?: I have the lastest Win 11 update on a PC. I just did a Reset this PC and I cannot find anywhere, no where anyone suggests, to see if I can find if it restored me to a MS Account or Local. I originally wanted Local Account as it was before the Reset. I believe it's Reset me...
  3. I don't even know how to ask the question.... my computer has been hijacked by a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't even know how to ask the question.... my computer has been hijacked by a...: I can get into recovery environment, reformat the entire hard drive, but the directory labeled X:\Windows\SYSTEM32\> is write protected and I have been unable to fix the changes that were made there. It is obviously where the kit has taken root. I'm not even sure I have...
  4. I don't even know how to ask the question.... my computer has been hijacked by a...

I don't even know how to ask the question.... my computer has been hijacked by a...: I can get into recovery environment, reformat the entire hard drive, but the directory labeled X:\Windows\SYSTEM32\> is write protected and I have been unable to fix the changes that were made there. It is obviously where the kit has taken root. I'm not even sure I have...
  5. Can i know if the threat has been removed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i know if the threat has been removed?: A week ago, microsoft defender found HackTool:Win32 on my pc. I was very scared and i removed it. I used lots of antivirus and Tron too, everyone says it has been removed but microsoft defender finds it again at every scansion even if the file has been removed. How can i be...
  6. Can i know if the threat has been removed?

Can i know if the threat has been removed?: A week ago, microsoft defender found HackTool:Win32 on my pc. I was very scared and i removed it. I used lots of antivirus and Tron too, everyone says it has been removed but microsoft defender finds it again at every scansion even if the file has been removed. How can i be...
  7. URGENT HELP NEEDED! Account Has Been Hacked!

URGENT HELP NEEDED! Account Has Been Hacked!: Hi there!I'm not sure if this is the right place to go, however my account has been hacked and I need urgent intervention from Microsoft.My original account email was: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** woke up this morning to emails saying that my "alias" had...
  8. Windows login refuses AD and local accounts, asks for MS Live account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows login refuses AD and local accounts, asks for MS Live account: Today, two of my machines have received Windows updates and rebooted. After rebooting, the login screen showed both my username as well as an inputbox for username and password, which struck me as odd (usually it's only password if the username is displayed). I tried to log...
  9. Using Local and MS accounts

Using Local and MS accounts: I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I...
  10. Microsoft account has not been converted to the local account...

Microsoft account has not been converted to the local account...: After a normal reboot i have this problem. I want to switch to local account from Microsoft account, but when i try to switch i receive this alert: Windows 10 has an error your microsoft account has not been converted to the local account error 0x80004005 Can you help...