Windows 10: I lose sound when changing audio device

Discus and support I lose sound when changing audio device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Whenever I change from my speakers to headphones or vice versa I completely lose sound, or even if I just unplug and replug my headphones or speakers,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Roger GoodHusband, Feb 25, 2020.

1. I lose sound when changing audio device

Whenever I change from my speakers to headphones or vice versa I completely lose sound, or even if I just unplug and replug my headphones or speakers, the only solution being to restart my computer.

I've made sure to update all the drivers, even uninstalling and reinstalling them, I've also noticed that when everything works fine, in the Sound options there's two output devices listed: Realtek Digital Output and Speakers even my headphones are under that name. After I unplug and replug my headphones or speakers, it stops showing the Speaker device, as if it's not recognizing it, even though I get a notification asking me what kind of device I just plugged in.

The speakers I'm using are external, but they are at least 6 years old, I do not know what brand or model. My headphones are Sony MDR-XB550, although using others doesn't seem to matter.

My system:

Ryzen 3 3200g

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

16 GB Corsair Vengance LPX

:)

Roger GoodHusband, Feb 25, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

losing sound in windows 10

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Sound. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Audio

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the playing Audio troubleshooter

Method 2.

Try updating the Audio drivers from the manufacturer's website and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps to update the audio drivers:

a. Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

b. Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.

c. Right-click on the Sound card and click on Update driver software.

d. Restart the computer and check.

Method 3:

No sound in Windows.

Refer the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-8&v1h=win8tab4&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Feb 25, 2020
  3. Unable to access the sound from other audio device after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Ali,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the playback device after upgrading to Windows 10.

This issue might have occurred due to change in audio settings/ corrupted or outdated drivers, we will help you with this issue.

Step 1: I suggest you to connect the audio device to your computer and change the below settings.

Follow the steps:

• Right click on the sound icon at the bottom right corner of the taskbar.
    • Click on Playback devices.
    • Check if you are able to find the audio device you connected in, in the list of connected playback devices.
    • If yes, click on the icon and then click on Set default option.
    • Click on Apply and then on OK.

Step 2: Isuggest you to update the audio drivers.

Steps:

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Audio inputs and outputs, right click on
      High Definition Audio Device and click on Uninstall.
    • Restart and Windows will re-install the
      IDT High Definition Audio driver
    • If it works fine otherwise try to search for the drivers with the help of model number of your computer from the Manufacturer’s website and install them.

For further reference:Fix sound problems

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 25, 2020
  4. I lose sound when changing audio device

no audio sound

Hi,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the exact issue you are facing with accessing sounds on your device?
    • Have you installed all the installed updates on your device after upgrading to Windows 10?

Method 1: I suggest you to run the Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

try the audio troubleshooter.

Method 2: I suggest you to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Method 3: I suggest you to change the properties of Windows Audio services and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Click Start, type
      Services.msc in the Start Search box.

• Scroll down the list of services, right-click
      Windows Audio and select Start.

• Select Properties for
      Windows Audio and set its Startup Type to
      Automatic.

Method 4: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of accessing sound for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

I lose sound when changing audio device

1. I lose sound when changing audio device - Similar Threads - lose sound changing

2. Lose audio when I open a game.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lose audio when I open a game.: Lose audio and microphone throughout my whole pc when opening a game like fall guys or among us. I have my earphones plugged into my ps5 controller otherwise my audio is bad but doesnt happen with fortnite and apex legends. I have checked the input and output devices, which...
  3. Lose audio when I open a game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lose audio when I open a game.: Lose audio and microphone throughout my whole pc when opening a game like fall guys or among us. I have my earphones plugged into my ps5 controller otherwise my audio is bad but doesnt happen with fortnite and apex legends. I have checked the input and output devices, which...
  4. Sound issues windows loses output device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound issues windows loses output device: I have this problem on both my desktops at home and we're running into this issue on a laptop at work as well. At home, I have two computers that have a monitor hooked up to them that have speakers. For some reason windows loses the speakers as an output device. This can...
  5. Losing Sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Losing Sound: I have a PC with Windows 10, Version 2004 that was installed in late 2019. A couple of times now I have lost my sound. It just happened for the second time yesterday. After the first time it happened I had it fixed by Staples - this was several months ago. I have read that...
  6. How to change sound output of an app when switching sound devices

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change sound output of an app when switching sound devices: Everytime I switch from headphones to speakers on a fullscreen app, it does not have sound unless I restart the application. I've tried to change the output in the "App volume and devices preferences" but of course my app does not appear there. There was an option in windows...
  7. No sound/ audio device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No sound/ audio device: I accidentally shut my laptop while it was updating now I have no sound at all. I have tried multiple fixes, and some of them I can’t even try because there is “no audio device installed”. I need help very badly and am not sure what to do anymore. Thank you! Windows 10...
  8. Windows 10 keeps dropping sound device, losing sound

Windows 10 keeps dropping sound device, losing sound: I have this bizarre problem with sound. I just rebuilt my computer due to a tired motherboard, so now I am running an MSI B450 Carbon AC mobo with a Ryzen 5 2600x cpu, nVidia Geforce GTX 1070 graphics card, 16GB ram DDR4 1066, Patriot v370 Viper headset. All drivers are...
  9. Losing signal following by device connect audio

Losing signal following by device connect audio: Hello, I have been having a problem with my PC losing signal and then hearing the device connect audio a few seconds later. The only way to temp resolve the issue is to restart pc. I have a reset button on my case so I have been using this. This has been happening quite...
  10. How to mute audio when changing device?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to mute audio when changing device?: Hi, I've got a Windows 10 laptop, with a Thunderbolt docking station, with a USB speaker phone plugged in. Whenever I dock or un-dock, the I have to mute the audio again, which is frustrating. Otherwise I get the "new hardware" beeping for the various USB devices plugged...