Windows 10: I lost a folder on my desktop while trying to delete an installer! HELP!

Discus and support I lost a folder on my desktop while trying to delete an installer! HELP! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was trying to drag and drop an installer I no longer needed from my desktop into the recycle bin and instead seemed to accidentally drag it into a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by coreywood, Feb 28, 2021.

1. coreywood Win User

I lost a folder on my desktop while trying to delete an installer! HELP!

I was trying to drag and drop an installer I no longer needed from my desktop into the recycle bin and instead seemed to accidentally drag it into a folder on my desktop which made my folder disappear. I am using Windows 10. I have very important files within that folder and want to know if there is any possible way to get it back! I can provide any other information that may be needed. Thank you in advance for anyone that is able to assist me!

:)

coreywood, Feb 28, 2021

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused I lost a folder on my desktop while trying to delete an installer! HELP! :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well I lost a folder on my desktop while trying to delete an installer! HELP! :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Feb 28, 2021
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink I lost a folder on my desktop while trying to delete an installer! HELP! ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Feb 28, 2021
  4. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

1. I lost a folder on my desktop while trying to delete an installer! HELP! - Similar Threads - lost folder desktop

2. I lost my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost my desktop: I have lost my desktop. I was trying to fix a red x in front of my administrator icon which was not allowing me to access or do things on my computer, as i was searching for a fix I came across a fix see attached, it seemed helpful being many people seemed to help them. I...
  3. Lost/deleted Screenshots folder - please help locate!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost/deleted Screenshots folder - please help locate!: Hi!I wanted to move my screenshots folder from my C: drive to my HDD M: .I went into properties and moved my screenshots to the HDD, however didn't realise that I had to move it to another folder, as it started dumping new screenshots into the bare HDD, not into a folder. So...
  4. Lost/deleted Screenshots folder - please help locate!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost/deleted Screenshots folder - please help locate!: Hi!I wanted to move my screenshots folder from my C: drive to my HDD M: .I went into properties and moved my screenshots to the HDD, however didn't realise that I had to move it to another folder, as it started dumping new screenshots into the bare HDD, not into a folder. So...
  5. Lost/deleted Screenshots folder - please help locate!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. urgent help! i deleted my documents folder and messed up my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    urgent help! i deleted my documents folder and messed up my desktop: So a few days ago I downloaded Dropbox onto my computer Windows 10. I didn't like it so I deleted the program itself, and then today, I deleted the actual folder on my computer. However, when I deleted the computer's folder, it also deleted my entire Documents folder! I...
  7. lost desktop folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost desktop folder: I moved the desktop folder to OneDrive and now OneDrive folder contents are displayed on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-folder/46138ec7-d489-43e9-80e1-c37873e03193
  8. Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete: Hello Microsoft community, I was deleting some folders, the file structure looked like this: Projects\ \Project1 \Project2 \ .. The .. refers to a folder name. I deleted the folder named ".." and it ended up deleting the entire...
  9. Somehow lost a folder on my PC but I didn’t delete it...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Somehow lost a folder on my PC but I didn’t delete it...: So I went on my PC for the first time in a while (to find my profile pic and banner) and I was wondering where my folder was with my profile pic and that sort of stuff. It wasn’t on my desktop (where it has always been) so I decided to search all of my drives for the folder,...
  10. Deleted Windows, while trying to install Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted Windows, while trying to install Ubuntu: I was trying to install Ubuntu side by side with windows, and accidentally deleted the windows os that came with my pc. How can I reinstall windows and can I use the license that came with this pc?...