Windows 10: I Lost All My Files On Hard Disk When i choose to use external drive to update windows 10...

Discus and support I Lost All My Files On Hard Disk When i choose to use external drive to update windows 10... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft, I Was trying to update to windows 10 and i choose use external usb to install to another computer and it deleted all my files i lost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BabykuzhyG, Jan 21, 2022.

1. I Lost All My Files On Hard Disk When i choose to use external drive to update windows 10...

Hello Microsoft, I Was trying to update to windows 10 and i choose use external usb to install to another computer and it deleted all my files i lost 300gb of images and videos of my family, the folder is now 32 gb from 300gb what should i do I cannot afford recoverit or easeus as i am in a tight financial spot.Thanks - babykuzhy

:)

BabykuzhyG, Jan 21, 2022
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jan 21, 2022
  3. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Jan 21, 2022
  4. I Lost All My Files On Hard Disk When i choose to use external drive to update windows 10...

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Lenovo Support – Drivers, Updates, How-To Guides, Technical Help and more - Lenovo Support IN

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jan 21, 2022
Thema:

I Lost All My Files On Hard Disk When i choose to use external drive to update windows 10...

1. I Lost All My Files On Hard Disk When i choose to use external drive to update windows 10... - Similar Threads - Lost Files Hard

2. I can't use my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't use my external hard drive: I have my external hard drive plugged in but it says "D:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." when I try to open it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-use-my-external-hard-drive/a2414c75-14c4-42a4-9017-765a8ca71c70
  3. I can't use my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't use my external hard drive: I have my external hard drive plugged in but it says "D:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." when I try to open it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-use-my-external-hard-drive/a2414c75-14c4-42a4-9017-765a8ca71c70
  4. I Lost All My Files On Hard Disk When i choose to use external drive to update windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Lost All My Files On Hard Disk When i choose to use external drive to update windows 10...: Hello Microsoft, I Was trying to update to windows 10 and i choose use external usb to install to another computer and it deleted all my files i lost 300gb of images and videos of my family, the folder is now 32 gb from 300gb what should i do I cannot afford recoverit or...
  5. I lost all my data on external disk when installing Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lost all my data on external disk when installing Windows 11.: Hi, when i tried installing Windows 11 failed, I don't have a supported processor. It told me, that i need to insert external disk or DVD, i inserted external disk and started with downloading Windows 11. After it completed, there was only Windows 11 files in that external...
  6. I lost all my data on external disk when installing Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I lost all my data on external disk when installing Windows 11.: Hi, when i tried installing Windows 11 failed, I don't have a supported processor. It told me, that i need to insert external disk or DVD, i inserted external disk and started with downloading Windows 11. After it completed, there was only Windows 11 files in that external...
  7. I lost 300GB on my disk 0, but I gained 300GB on external hard drive disk 1

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I lost 300GB on my disk 0, but I gained 300GB on external hard drive disk 1: So I was a Linux user, but I moved to windows for school, but when I installed windows my 500GB c drive only showed 237GB, so I'm just wondering where the other 263GB went? But my external hard drive 1TB gained 300 GB. Is this because of bad sector or something? How can I fix...
  8. Windows 10 deleted all files in my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 deleted all files in my external hard drive: I as updated windows 10 into my computer and it ended up installing into my external hard drive and deleted all previous files in EHD. How can i recover those files?...
  9. I lost access to my files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    I lost access to my files on external hard drive: I am trying to find my old video file stored on external HDD. It is an AMV video that I did long ago....Unfortunately, that file is locked. When I was trying to unlock it, I received an error 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted. This hdd had Windows XP on...
  10. Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update: I have just recently had to get a new laptop because the motherboard in my previous laptop died unexpectedly. I was able to connect to my old hard drive until there was an issue with my Windows 10. I had a Microsoft agent check my system and he determined that i need to to...