Windows 10: I lost my hard drive and my license?

Discus and support I lost my hard drive and my license? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi everyone recently i lost my hard drive. Before installing a new windows 10 in another hard drive im wondering what will happen with my old windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ralsh, Mar 23, 2020.

1. /u/Ralsh Win User

I lost my hard drive and my license?

Hi everyone recently i lost my hard drive.

Before installing a new windows 10 in another hard drive im wondering what will happen with my old windows 10 key, its lost i supose, i don't have any backup avaliable.

Then i started to run some recovery stuff to my broken hard drive and i managed to get the old content of the hard drive, almost everything.

So now im wondering if i can merge my old files in a new hard drive and somehow get my old license?

Can i copy the key from my broken hard drive to a new one?

Thanks for reading everyone!!! Happy quarantine.

submitted by /u/Ralsh
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ralsh, Mar 23, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown I lost my hard drive and my license? :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Mar 23, 2020
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Mar 23, 2020
  4. I lost my hard drive and my license?

little cat, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

I lost my hard drive and my license?

1. I lost my hard drive and my license? - Similar Threads - lost hard drive

2. I lost my windows license.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I lost my windows license.: So I was having trouble and none of Microsoft recommendations were working so I decided to completely reset my desktop, but when I booted it back up I had no windows 10 license and Microsoft wants me to buy it again, Can anyone help me?...
  3. I lost my windows license.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I lost my windows license.: So I was having trouble and none of Microsoft recommendations were working so I decided to completely reset my desktop, but when I booted it back up I had no windows 10 license and Microsoft wants me to buy it again, Can anyone help me?...
  4. I lost my windows license.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. I erased my entire hard drive, and my license was gone with it. How do I get my license...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I erased my entire hard drive, and my license was gone with it. How do I get my license...: Basically, I was trying to do a fresh install of windows manually because something was wrong with it and it went wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-erased-my-entire-hard-drive-and-my-license-was/9bc6de33-0d93-48e1-81fc-4af84b357010
  6. Lost hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost hard drives: I have a somewhat complicated set up with two computers, a main and the backup, and a large number of peripherals that are attached to switches to move them between the two computers. The problem I have is on my main computer and concerns three USB external hard drives. They...
  7. Can I upgrade my hard drive with my Windows 10 license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I upgrade my hard drive with my Windows 10 license?: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 that came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 on a 1TB HD. I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. Now I'd like to upgrade my computer with a 2TB HD by cloning it to the new drive but I'm not sure if I'm able to with my...
  8. Lost partition on my internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost partition on my internal hard drive: I have a Dell XPS that is running Windows 10. I had a hard drive that was partitioned into a C: drive with 200 Gb for programs and a D: drive with 1.7 Tb for data. I was deleting programs a few days ago to free up hard drive space and I remember several versions of Visual...
  9. I have lost permissions to my only hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have lost permissions to my only hard drive: My laptop has been having some problems since I got it. First It was owned by a friend of my dad, then by my dad and now by me. I think It's a acer aspire 5742Z, the specs are the same and looks pretty much the same. So the computer is slow and I wanted to reset it to...
  10. I lost access to my files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    I lost access to my files on external hard drive: I am trying to find my old video file stored on external HDD. It is an AMV video that I did long ago....Unfortunately, that file is locked. When I was trying to unlock it, I received an error 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted. This hdd had Windows XP on...