Windows 10: I lost the ability to boot to Windows 8.1 dualboot after resetting Windows 10

Discus and support I lost the ability to boot to Windows 8.1 dualboot after resetting Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I wanted to reset my pc because something went wrong. But i realized that the "Choose an operating system" thing is gone.I went to msconfig and went to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ScripterProv, May 16, 2021.

1. I lost the ability to boot to Windows 8.1 dualboot after resetting Windows 10

I wanted to reset my pc because something went wrong. But i realized that the "Choose an operating system" thing is gone.I went to msconfig and went to the boot tab, then i saw that Windows 8.1 is not on the list anymore.But the partition AND the Windows 8.1 files remain.Any solutions?

:)

ScripterProv, May 16, 2021
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: https://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, May 16, 2021
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, May 16, 2021
  4. Flow Win User

I lost the ability to boot to Windows 8.1 dualboot after resetting Windows 10

Dual Boot Windows question.

Knoxx29

EasyBCD will fix your dualboot on the fly. I've went forth and back several times with my dualboot.
    Only thing I don't get working is the boot select screen to be from windows 10. It keeps showing the old and simple windows 7 boot select screen after a soft reboot.
    But it works and that's what matters after all.

Thema:

I lost the ability to boot to Windows 8.1 dualboot after resetting Windows 10

1. I lost the ability to boot to Windows 8.1 dualboot after resetting Windows 10 - Similar Threads - lost ability boot

2. Windows 8.1 won't boot after dualboot with Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8.1 won't boot after dualboot with Windows 11: So I installed windows 11 with Rufus windows to-go option on an external drive and set my bios to firstly boot from external devices. Which works great...But upon a restart, windows 8.1 which is on my internal drive, fails to boot with a BSOD loop saying...
  3. Windows 8.1 won't boot after dualboot with Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 8.1 won't boot after dualboot with Windows 11: So I installed windows 11 with Rufus windows to-go option on an external drive and set my bios to firstly boot from external devices. Which works great...But upon a restart, windows 8.1 which is on my internal drive, fails to boot with a BSOD loop saying...
  4. Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot: When i run Windows 7 Setup and install it to another drive like Volume 2 F: will it show to Windows Boot Manager like the picture shown:ignore Windows Vista by the way...
  5. Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot: When i run Windows 7 Setup and install it to another drive like Volume 2 F: will it show to Windows Boot Manager like the picture shown:ignore Windows Vista by the way...
  6. Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. DualBoot Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DualBoot Windows 10: i have hdd with windows 10 installed on it and i just got myself a ssd today since there's still some data left on my old windows i chose to dualboot my windows installation on my ssd so it's much easier to move my data later on. but something weird happened, the system drive...
  8. Lost windows 10 after factory reset

Lost windows 10 after factory reset: Hi I have a Dell laptop with Windows 8 originally installed. I had installed windows 10 on it. After I factory reset with windows, 10 installed it turned back on and got back windows 8.1 So is it possible to get windows 10 back? I tried installing again using...
  9. With latest windows 10 update (8/2019), lost ability to adjust Synaptics Touchpad settings

With latest windows 10 update (8/2019), lost ability to adjust Synaptics Touchpad settings: I "fixed" this problem by going to Device Manager in the Control Panel. I went to Mice and Other Pointing Devices. I clicked on it and then on SMbus Touchpad. I clicked on Driver and then on Roll Back Driver. Then I restarted, when directed to by the computer. The previous...
  10. Lost the ability to update Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost the ability to update Windows: There are a number of us in the Windows Insider Program that have lost the ability to update Windows. There are some variations on the theme but, basically, Win10 will download the package and say that there is an update that needs a reboot to install. The install/reboot...