Windows 10: I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive

Discus and support I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, thank you for viewing my question. About a week ago, I was playing Borderlands 2 (game) for about 6 hours. I completed most of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Juan Chavez E., Jun 21, 2019.

1. I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive

Hello everyone, thank you for viewing my question. About a week ago, I was playing Borderlands 2 (game) for about 6 hours. I completed most of the game, and logged out for the day. When I came back the next day, I realized my progress didn’t save. Upset, I took desperate measures in order to get my progress back. I read somewhere on a Steam forum that the most probable cause was that the game folder was set to “Read Only”, and thus no changes could be made by the game and no progress could be saved. It was strange, since the game had saved all my progress previously. I decided to change the drive permissions, not the folder, to allow Full Control to every entry, as seen below.

I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive [​IMG]

There is supposed to be 5 entries, the fifth, which was another “Authenticated Users” disappeared after I made the change. I knew something was wrong. I went back and fourth, changed permissions again and again, each time getting a warning and pop-ups like these showing up.

I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive [​IMG]

Lots of these came up, one after another. I had asked the same question on the Microsoft Answers Forum, and received an answer by a moderator, who told me to open Command Prompt, and enter <icacls * /t /q /c /reset>. I entered it, and a couple of lines of text flashed across the screen, and once it was finished, I restarted my computer. That did not solve the problem. I then decided to give my computer a “Fresh Start” to see if it would reset the permissions. It did not. Finally, after giving up hope, I completely reset my computer, cleaned the drive and reinstalled Windows in hopes that it would fix the problem. It did not. The images provided are after I had reset everything. In the image, you can see the “replace all child object permission....” box checked. I did that just a few minutes ago, and it still didn’t reset it. I’m at a loss. I hope that one of you can help me in my dilema. I made a complete rookie mistake, as I was unaware of the potential risks this could cause. Please, if someone knows anyway on how to fix it, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:)

Juan Chavez E., Jun 21, 2019
  2. jdmdriv3n Win User

Change permission to internal hard drive and now cannot access it.

Windows 10

I changed the permission to a second internal hard drive. My exact steps:

1. right click hard drive

2. properties

3. security tab

4. Selected Users from the "group or user names:"

5. Selected deny for "read and execute", "list folder contents", and "read" under "permissions for users"

6. clicked ok

Now I do not have access to the hard drive as administrator or the guest account.

When checking the security properties in an effort to change my mistakes, I see the following.

"you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object"

clicking advance says

"you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object. click continue to attempt the operations with administrative permissions"

clicking continue says

"you do not have permission to view this objects security properties, even as an administrative user. To try to take ownership of the object, which includes permission to view its properties, click change above"

I don't want to cause anymore damage, if anyone can help me, it would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

jdmdriv3n, Jun 21, 2019
  3. C drive inaccessible

Hi Paritosh,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing in Windows 10.

Please be assured that we will do our best to help you.

• Have you logged in as an administrator?

• Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    An "Access Denied" error message can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• The folder ownership has changed.
    • You do not have the appropriate permissions.
    • The file is encrypted.
    Before we could reset the computer, let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to follow these steps to take the ownership of the drive.

• Right click on Drive C and click
      Properties.

• Switch to Security tab, click Edit and
      Add to add your user account, if it is not listed. Assign the
      full control permission
      for your own account and click OK.

• Click Advanced, switch to Ownership tab and click
      Edit button.

• Highlight your user account and click
      Apply
      , and then click OK.
    Step 2: Let us try to disable to UAC settings and check.

• Press Windows key + S and type
      User account control

• Select Change User Account Control Settings.

• Move the slider to Never notify and click
      Ok.
    Refer: "Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2623670

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 21, 2019
  4. I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive

Windows 10 c: drive not accessable

I was trying to solve a problem I had with accessing several folders, following the steps on a web site, and

I got a message that the owner of the C; drive was being erased!

Since then I have no access to the c: drive, I keep getting "access denied", "you don't have the proper permissions", "you don't have read permission", and when I finally got into Safe Mode and clicked on C:/properties/security, it said "Owner: Unable to
    display current owner".

I've tried more methods than I want to list trying to get ownership of the C: drive and set permissions back where they belong.

Where is the c: drive owner entered? Would I need to RegEdit? If so, please provide step by step because all I know about RegEdit is that it's dangerous to mess with.....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Dave Ahlberg

DaveAhlberg, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive

1. I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive - Similar Threads - made huge mistake

2. i made a big mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i made a big mistake: So, i installed windows 8 and thanks to windows 8 I am now stuck on the ethernet thing, and I don't think that windows 8 supports wireless when I click on connection it keeps on saying that no internet detected even though i have a Wi-Fi router in my mom's room Microsoft,...
  3. i made a big mistake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i made a big mistake: So, i installed windows 8 and thanks to windows 8 I am now stuck on the ethernet thing, and I don't think that windows 8 supports wireless when I click on connection it keeps on saying that no internet detected even though i have a Wi-Fi router in my mom's room Microsoft,...
  4. Made a mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Made a mistake: Dear Microsoft Support, I accidentally purchased an item in my app;" It is for Adobe that I was charged $ 107.99 today. I have not used it at all today. I am hoping to be able to ask for a refund. I did not know I had done so until I saw it pending at my Bank. When I saw it I...
  5. Made a mistake

Made a mistake: Dear Microsoft Support, I accidentally purchased an item in my app;" It is for Adobe that I was charged $ 107.99 today. I have not used it at all today. I am hoping to be able to ask for a refund. I did not know I had done so until I saw it pending at my Bank. When I saw it I...
  6. I made a real mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I made a real mistake: My computer is a, Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10 I made a real mistake I decided to try windows 11 I wanted to do a dual boot but when I got done. I realized I screwed up and I went to windows 11 I don't really like it. With Windows 10 when you right click: copy paste new...
  7. I made a real mistake

I made a real mistake: My computer is a, Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10 I made a real mistake I decided to try windows 11 I wanted to do a dual boot but when I got done. I realized I screwed up and I went to windows 11 I don't really like it. With Windows 10 when you right click: copy paste new...
  8. I made a real mistake

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. A huge mistake

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A huge mistake: Hi guys, so I've a problem, for mistake I deleted the whole keys in regedit Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor and I recreated that manually copying from another computer.. do you think it works? I also run a sfv scan to repair any problem, I...
  10. I made a big mistake...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I made a big mistake...: A call from Wavene Infotech showed me 1,159 errors/attempted hacks and other "serious" breaches on my laptop / Window's 10. Sounding like a scam I hung up....he kept calling back. I eventually allowed him to show me a log illustrating all the incursions. Long story short I...