Windows 10: I messed around with some x86 files and now I have a new file called RedistList. should i...

Discus and support I messed around with some x86 files and now I have a new file called RedistList. should i... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; so i was checking through some files and i saw this one called x86. i looked in it and eventually it opened with some lines of code. im not a coder,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eviedog11, Jun 16, 2020.

1. eviedog11 Win User

I messed around with some x86 files and now I have a new file called RedistList. should i...

so i was checking through some files and i saw this one called x86. i looked in it and eventually it opened with some lines of code. im not a coder, but i decided to take a picture and send it to my friends to pretend i could code. it was a funny joke, but then none of my downloads worked. my internet worked, but nothing else. i deleted everything off and its all working fine now but i just dont understand why i have 3 windows files in a new file called RedistList. should i be scared? is there a way to move them back? please help. thanks.

:)

eviedog11, Jun 16, 2020

2. Administartor rights lost in program file and program files x86

Hi Luca,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the files and folders on Program file and Program file x86, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you logged in as an administrator?
    • Is this issue specific only to the Programs file and Program file x86 folders?

Step 1: If you have logged-in as an administrator, I suggest you to follow the below steps to give permission for entire system, so that you can access the specific files.

• Right click on the folder and click on
      Properties
    • Click on Security tab and select the
      group\user name.
    • Click on Edit option and check the option
      Full control.
    • Click on Apply and then on
      Ok
      button.

Step 2: Try the following steps and check if it helps:

• Right-click the C: Drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click
      OK on the Security message, if one appears.
    • Click Advanced, and then click the
      Owner tab.
    • In the Name list, click your user name,
      Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the
      Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    • Click OK.

• You may receive the following error message, where
      Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:
      You do not have permission to read the co1ntents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press
      Yes.
    6. Click Yes.

7. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

Hope it helps. Try the above and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 16, 2020
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

I messed around with some x86 files and now I have a new file called RedistList. should i...

Identical File Finder

@Ford
    I don't think that step #3 is even needed. The probabiliy of two MD5 hashes from differing files colliding is what, 2^-128 ?
    Even if your were hashing a million files the odds of a hash collision on differing files is astronomically small.

Kreij, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

1. I messed around with some x86 files and now I have a new file called RedistList. should i... - Similar Threads - messed around x86

2. I messed around with exe. file because apps were not loading. Now getting "No such...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed around with exe. file because apps were not loading. Now getting "No such...: I'm computer illiterate and tried to fix a problem watching a Youtube video and I only made more problems for myself. I messed around with exe. file in Registry Editor because apps were not loading. Is there any way to reset this?...
  3. I messed around with exe. file because apps were not loading. Now getting "No such...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I messed around with exe. file because apps were not loading. Now getting "No such...: I'm computer illiterate and tried to fix a problem watching a Youtube video and I only made more problems for myself. I messed around with exe. file in Registry Editor because apps were not loading. Is there any way to reset this?...
  4. I have messed around in files and dont know how to fix it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have messed around in files and dont know how to fix it: OK so today I have decided to mess around in my files so what I did was I tried to move files from C drive to my E drive to make space. So what I did was move some of my steam files that were in C to E but weirdly most of the steam files in C were also in E but some from C...
  5. I have messed around in files and dont know how to fix it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have messed around in files and dont know how to fix it: OK so today I have decided to mess around in my files so what I did was I tried to move files from C drive to my E drive to make space. So what I did was move some of my steam files that were in C to E but weirdly most of the steam files in C were also in E but some from C...
  6. I have messed around in files and dont know how to fix it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I messed up some audio drivers, should I system restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I messed up some audio drivers, should I system restore?: I can select the restore point to be a few days ago, but will this solve the issue I’m having with my Realtek audio drivers? submitted by /u/Bodkin2005 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ikwtss/i_messed_up_some_audio_drivers_should_i_system/
  8. why do i have 3 windows files in a file called RedistList and why is one the same as...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why do i have 3 windows files in a file called RedistList and why is one the same as...: ok if x86 files are ok, and RedistList is windows related, is having the same file in there twice but one has _extended but one is the original ok too? bare in mind im not a coder so i dont understand any of this....
  9. Should I use software called DLL-Files Fixer ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Should I use software called DLL-Files Fixer ?: My brother run this software and this have “scan registry” feature and when he did it , it found 120+ registry errors .. wow what’s that ? And this tool also have repair function for these so called errors . He told me that I should use this software and scan monthly ....
  10. So I messed up some files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So I messed up some files: Windows 10 offers you some basic files, as Documents, Music, 3D Objects, and others. I had to move the one with pictures to my HDD to help with space (my SSD for Windows is 256 Go so I moved it to my 3 To HDD). But I messed up with the name and now, it's a shortcut of my E:...