Windows 10: I messed up my Desktop and D drive files.

Discus and support I messed up my Desktop and D drive files. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ok so I was being really dumb and tried to store the files stored on my Desktop in my D drive but everything got all jumbled and I did not get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by goosewalk, Jan 7, 2020.

1. goosewalk Win User

I messed up my Desktop and D drive files.

Ok so I was being really dumb and tried to store the files stored on my Desktop in my D drive but everything got all jumbled and I did not get the desired result. I have tried restoring the default location on my Desktop which is now stated to be my D drive, but I get an error stating "failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:/System Volume Information."

If I could be helped asap I would much appreciate it, thanks.

:)

goosewalk, Jan 7, 2020

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Not enough space on Recovery (DI messed up my Desktop and D drive files. :) drive.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the following:

1. What is the make and model number of your Computer?

Please note that recovery "D" is a partition on the hard drive which contains the image of the Operating system. You can use it to restore the computer back to factory settings. You should not attempt to store files in it.
    If you have any data saved on the D drive, I would suggest you to move it to an external drive and to free up some space, you can follow the steps provided in the article:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

If you are using a HP computer, then you can refer to this article:
    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (DI messed up my Desktop and D drive files. :) Hard Drive?

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Jan 7, 2020
  4. I messed up my Desktop and D drive files.

Installing to a second Drive. D: or external (Non Boot up Drives)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are looking for an option to move the game location from the C drive to the Drive D, which is an external drive.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that resolves your issue on both laptop and Desktop.

1. As usual install the game on the PC’s in
      C Drive.
    2. Insert the external
      D drive
      to the PC.
    3. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Settings.
    4. Select Apps and click on
      Apps & features
      from the left pane.
    5. Search for the installed game from the list on the right pane.
    6. Single click on the game and select
      Move.
    7. Select the D drive under
      Choose a drive
      where you want to move the game.
    8. Restart the PC with the external drive connected and then launch the game.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

I messed up my Desktop and D drive files.

1. I messed up my Desktop and D drive files. - Similar Threads - messed Desktop drive

2. One drive messed up ALL of my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive messed up ALL of my files: I was uploading ONE word doc to one drive and thought nothing of it. Later I come back to my computer and my ENTIRE computers files were uploaded without my permission or settings. Is there a comprehensive dashboard that I can tune what files go to one drive instead of just...
  3. One drive messed up ALL of my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One drive messed up ALL of my files: I was uploading ONE word doc to one drive and thought nothing of it. Later I come back to my computer and my ENTIRE computers files were uploaded without my permission or settings. Is there a comprehensive dashboard that I can tune what files go to one drive instead of just...
  4. Moving Game from drive D to C messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Game from drive D to C messed up: I downloaded a game Forza Horizon 5 on my hdd Drive D and wanted to move it to drive C. I wanted to try the move feature I saw when I went to uninstall the game from the add or remove programs section of settings so I did. I went to move it to C and left it. An hour later I...
  5. Moving Game from drive D to C messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Game from drive D to C messed up: I downloaded a game Forza Horizon 5 on my hdd Drive D and wanted to move it to drive C. I wanted to try the move feature I saw when I went to uninstall the game from the add or remove programs section of settings so I did. I went to move it to C and left it. An hour later I...
  6. Moving Game from drive D to C messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I messed up my Desktop file index entry

in Windows 10 Support
    I messed up my Desktop file index entry: Somehow in my desire to change what is backup in OneDrive, I messed up the file index entry for my Desktop. There are folders and files on my Desktop, BUT when I go to the File Explorer, Desktop, it is empty...ouch. Not sure what I did, but can I restore Desktop? Get it to...
  8. Windows 10 D drive messed up

Windows 10 D drive messed up: As of yesterday, my D drive after a game crashed my computer said game being in my d drive and the game being an older one anything in my D drive will not open or be delete and when I try to right click on anything in it it lags horribly there are no error messages for me to...
  9. I merged my D drive and my Desktop :

I merged my D drive and my Desktop :: I was downloading Steam VR and it kept trying to download in my C drive, so looked up how to fix it and some YouTube video told me to do some thing I can't remember but I did it wrong and instead of putting Steam VR in my D drive, it put my Desktop in my D drive and now they...
  10. My Desktop is a D Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Desktop is a D Drive: I moved my Desktop Location to my Hard Drive. I accidentally forgot to add the Desktop subfolder in the location. Now everything I save in my D drive also goes to the desktop and everything I save in the Desktop directly goes to the D drive without any subfolders. Tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my windows folders and files are all messed up

2. screwed up windows 10 folder icons when trying to point them to D drive