Windows 10: I messed with User permissions..

Discus and support I messed with User permissions.. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, While trying to delete the old windows files after an upgrade it kept denying deletion because TrustedInstaller wouldn't allow it so I tried to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by hatemf23, Jul 31, 2016.

1. hatemf23 Win User

I messed with User permissions..

Hi,

While trying to delete the old windows files after an upgrade it kept denying deletion because TrustedInstaller wouldn't allow it so I tried to change ownership from TrustedInstaller to to administrators group and things went down hill from here. apparently a 2nd group of administrators was created and by mistake I deleted the old (original) one, there is also a user called 'CREATOR OWNER' which I deleted too but shows up somehow on other files. It won't allow me to delete these files and asks for permissions from administrators which apparently now is a separate group.

How do I fix this cluster&$^&#? thanks.

For more illustration, this is what it looks like:

I messed with User permissions.. [​IMG]

:)

hatemf23, Jul 31, 2016
  2. Alden Rey Win User

User permissions are messed up

Thank you for your response. If the issue still persists and Controlled Folder Access is off and greyed out, we suggest you perform a

clean boot
    . It starts by using a pre-selected minimal set of drivers and startup programs, and because the computer start with a minimal set of drivers, some programs may not work as you expected.

If you require any further information, feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Jul 31, 2016
  3. RNRS001_ Win User
    User permissions are messed up

Yes, I've changed several settings because my computer kept freezing randomly, so I tried looking for a solution online. According to the log it had something to do with a DistributedCom error. My computer no longer freezes, but a reboot takes ages. When
    checking the log, several errors occur with every reboot, but the DistributedCom error is no longer there.

Here's a link which kind of describes what I've changed:

DistributedCOM Error 10016

It's for Windows 8, the solution I tried was for Windows 10 but can't find this URL anymore.

As for current problem; I've tried nothing, I honestly don't know where to start. Controlled Folder Access is off and greyed out.

Right now I get loads of ESENT errors:

DllHost

3436,G,0

EseDiskFlushConsistency

ESENT

0x800000

With the number under DllHost changing every time. Further on, I get this error:

Windows Defender

SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_OFF

I've no idea how to fix either one of them.

RNRS001_, Jul 31, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

If you have set up system restore points the simplest way to fix this is to revert back to a earlier point in time.

I messed with User permissions.. [​IMG]

philc43, Jul 31, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
  6. Samuria Win User
    To delete Windows.old you have to run disk clean when it's run then select system files and it will run again and include the folder once deleted you can't role back to old windows

Samuria, Jul 31, 2016
  7. hatemf23 Win User
    Ok, so I did this and there is still 1 GB that wont be deleted even with disk cleanup. It's important for me to get every possible GB because the space in C isn't very big at all so any advice on how to finally get rid of the old windows is appreciated.

hatemf23, Aug 1, 2016
  8. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Aug 1, 2016
  9. hatemf23 Win User
    hi again, Ive tried it but doesnt work, there is still a very stubborn 1 GB of windows files that wont be removed.

hatemf23, Aug 1, 2016
  10. hatemf23 Win User
    Atleast can some one confirm the remnants of the old Windows will be deleted on their own in a month? this trusted installer is really annoying I have to say...

hatemf23, Aug 3, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I messed with User permissions.. - Similar Threads - messed User permissions

2. user permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user permissions: hi. i tried to set permissons on my user account for another drive. it has done all its things but i get a error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/db724478-68a3-47a6-8059-93a0ae0cbbbb
  3. user permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user permissions: hi. i tried to set permissons on my user account for another drive. it has done all its things but i get a error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/db724478-68a3-47a6-8059-93a0ae0cbbbb
  4. user permissions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/: So I've been having applications acting strangely, where I would have to launch steam as admin to play certain multiplayer games etc.. Now I'm trying to make a game in Unreal Engine 4.27 and it won't let me export it!! I was messing with the settings on some permissions...
  6. I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Think I messed up Windows permissions.. :/: So I've been having applications acting strangely, where I would have to launch steam as admin to play certain multiplayer games etc.. Now I'm trying to make a game in Unreal Engine 4.27 and it won't let me export it!! I was messing with the settings on some permissions...
  7. Computer's permissions messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer's permissions messed up: I downloaded Cisco WebEx Meetings for an interview and now my computer's permissions are all messed up. I am unable to access things that require administrator access like command prompt. I was also unable to run an executable I downloaded, update one of my games, and can't...
  8. USER PERMISSIONS?

in Windows 10 Customization
    USER PERMISSIONS?: I have been using a sleep apnea data app on Win 10 for several months with no issues. Over the last week or so, the app has become non-functional. I have sought help from the Apnea Board community and have tried numerous fixes with no success. One of the forum advisors...
  9. User Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Permissions: How do I reset all user permissions to default. I may have accidentally deleted a profile that is needed., Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/97475d02-2691-484b-ad2a-99bd5e802315
  10. messed up permissions windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    messed up permissions windows 10: Hello all, Dave here. I have done something that I have done before, with windows 7 on down. I had a laptop that had a broken power port, and the battery went dead. I ordered a new power socket. While I was waiting for parts, the owner wanted files off of it. I removed hard...