Windows 10: I might have deleted an important partition and now I’m getting ‘boot device not found’ on...

Discus and support I might have deleted an important partition and now I’m getting ‘boot device not found’ on... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; A few days ago I installed Linux mint just to try it out as I liked the live version. I created a partition to store it and was pretty happy with how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/crap-i-died, Jan 25, 2020.

1. I might have deleted an important partition and now I’m getting ‘boot device not found’ on...

A few days ago I installed Linux mint just to try it out as I liked the live version. I created a partition to store it and was pretty happy with how it was going. I started installing too many programs and eventually it got messed up, so my extremely slow thought process decided it was best to just uninstall it and reinstall later.

So I went into windows 10 and tried to delete the partition but it wouldn’t let me, so I downloaded the paragon disc manager to do it. I knew which volume to delete because it’s field for file system was empty. I removed it and paragon asked me to restart, so I followed the steps. After rebooting there was a message saying that the action was complete and that it would restart. But after rebooting the error mentioned above occurred, and I spent a long while freaking out thinking I had accidentally deleted something important.

I’ve reset my bios settings to no avail, and did a hard reset which had the same results. I tried opening boot manager as well but it was completely empty. I found the USB with Mint live and tried opening it the same way but I can’t open it because one of the files needs to be renamed and I don’t have any other windows PC to change it.

Is there anything i can do to fix this or is windows 10 completely broken and I have to get a new hard drive?

submitted by /u/crap-i-died
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/crap-i-died, Jan 25, 2020
  2. okidna Win User

Delete my W10 Partition

Do you want to safely delete your Windows 10 partition and use only Windows 7?

If Yes, then boot to your Windows 7, run msconfig, go to "Boot" tab, you will see something like this :

I might have deleted an important partition and now I’m getting ‘boot device not found’ on... boot-png.png

Choose "Windows 7" and click "Set as default", then choose "Windows 10" and click "Delete", restart if asked or necessary.
    Now the boot information for Windows 10 has been deleted and you can safely delete your Windows 10 partition (make sure no important files are on the Win10 partition). To delete and extend your partition you can use many partition manager tools.

okidna, Jan 25, 2020
  3. /boot Partition?

[Solved] /boot Partition?

Ok, I like playing around with multiple operating systems so I tend to have a few installed at a time. My issue is related to the bootloader. Every new Linux OS I install installs its own version of Grub. That's fine until you delete that partition.... *Bang Head :banghead:

I was thinking about creating a small (ie ~50MB) partition that /boot will reside on. This way I can have one copy of Grub that would boot my several OS(s) depending on what they are. I think this is a good idea so I can delete one OS's partition and still be able to boot the other OS(s).

Unfortunately, I am not an expert with bootloaders and I'm not really sure how /boot has to do with booting. Can someone tell me how feasible my idea is? I'm looking for a way to have multiple OS(s) but only one bootloader so when I delete one OS, the bootloader will still be intact.

Any ideas/suggestions/advice is appreciated! *Smile I might have deleted an important partition and now I’m getting ‘boot device not found’ on... :)

angelkiller, Jan 25, 2020
  4. I might have deleted an important partition and now I’m getting ‘boot device not found’ on...

/boot Partition?

If you have a newer CPU, I would suggest using some Virtualization software.

Virtual machine software that's free like Virtual Box or a "to buy" one like Vmware...

You can install, mess with and even straight up destroy OS's in a nice, safe little sandbox, and it doesn't hamper a thing *Wink I might have deleted an important partition and now I’m getting ‘boot device not found’ on... ;)

Dippyskoodlez, Jan 25, 2020
Thema:

I might have deleted an important partition and now I’m getting ‘boot device not found’ on...

1. I might have deleted an important partition and now I’m getting ‘boot device not found’ on... - Similar Threads - might deleted important

2. i built my pc now i’m stuck on boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i built my pc now i’m stuck on boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device: I have just built my first pc, and when i turned it on i’m stuck on that screen. i have gone into bios and i do not have any sort of windows on the computer. i have a usb drive with windows on it, will my problem be solved once i put the usb in?...
  3. i built my pc now i’m stuck on boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i built my pc now i’m stuck on boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device: I have just built my first pc, and when i turned it on i’m stuck on that screen. i have gone into bios and i do not have any sort of windows on the computer. i have a usb drive with windows on it, will my problem be solved once i put the usb in?...
  4. CHKDSK might have broke my partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHKDSK might have broke my partition: My old hard disk was fully broken, when I plug it in it makes the computer almost frozen.But I repaired the hard disk with good percentage to only restore the data.The disk was working very good, yes sometimes it freeze but at least working and I took some of my old data copy...
  5. CHKDSK might have broke my partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK might have broke my partition: My old hard disk was fully broken, when I plug it in it makes the computer almost frozen.But I repaired the hard disk with good percentage to only restore the data.The disk was working very good, yes sometimes it freeze but at least working and I took some of my old data copy...
  6. CHKDSK might have broke my partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Error: no boot partition found

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error: no boot partition found: Hello, The past couple of days my desktop PC would just stay on “shutting down” so I started holding down the power button. Today when I boot my computer and after I enter my VeraCrypt password I get given a message saying “Error: No boot partition found”. I have 2 SSDs...
  8. Deleted boot partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted boot partition: 250GB NVme with the system - boot 2TB Nvme - data 8TB sata dynamic disc 2x 4TB sata ssd drives - slower data. This drive was getting full so I got 2 14TB sata drives to create Raid 1 backup When I added the drives and got in to motherboard Raid Array configuration new...
  9. Boot device not found

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot device not found: Hi, Yesterday I was on my laptop and then it suddenly crashed so I forced powered it off. When I tried to open it again it came up with a black screen saying: Boot device not found Please install and operating system on your hard disk. For more information, please...
  10. Modified system reserved partition but now no boot device found error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Modified system reserved partition but now no boot device found error: I actually tried to modify the system reserved partition size so that the recent windows update can be installed without error on my hp 15ac122tu machine which is i3 5th gen. I tried to modify the size using mini partition tool by creating 500mb unallocated space and...