Windows 10: I mistakenly made my D: drive as document folder.

Discus and support I mistakenly made my D: drive as document folder. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was planning to move my documents folder from C:\Users\Inspiron Laptop\Documents to D:\Documents. But instead I made the whole drive D: as documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by francisherrera2, Aug 5, 2020.

1. I mistakenly made my D: drive as document folder.

I was planning to move my documents folder from C:\Users\Inspiron Laptop\Documents to D:\Documents. But instead I made the whole drive D: as documents folder. After this I tried restoring default location of the documents folder via properties to undo my mistake but a pop-up appears saying

"The folder cant be moved here. Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under 'D:\System Volume Information'. Access denied"

Please help me. Thank you! I mistakenly made my D: drive as document folder. e3fe39b9-b058-464c-bfaf-64c8edc8131a?upload=true.png

:)

francisherrera2, Aug 5, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Accidentally saved my documents folder to the Hard drive (DI mistakenly made my D: drive as document folder. :) without a location

This is a common enough occurrence, here is how to put your My Documents back into a folder:

• Open Windows File Explorer, create a folder called My Documents on your D Drive
    • Put whatever files and folder should be in your My Documents folder into that folder
    • Click on Quick Access on the left hand side of File Explorer
    • On the right hand side right click the My Documents Library Folder and select Properties
    • Select the Location Tab and Type D:\My Documents as the location
    • When asked if you want to Merge Contents - select No

I hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Aug 5, 2020
  3. I changed my location for 'Documents' and now Drive D has the 'Documents' icon

I've always changed the location of Documents and Downloads to my 'Data' partition. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and changed Documents location to drive D. Usually the icon for these two folders follows and displays on drive D.

Not sure why it didn't this time, but can you tell me how I can change these 2 folder icons? I know how to change icons, but I don't see these 2 icons in the list of Windows icons.

Thx.

ckbeme102598, Aug 5, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

I mistakenly made my D: drive as document folder.

My documents folder became the Hard drive (DI mistakenly made my D: drive as document folder. :)

Hi Chi

Open your D Drive in File Explorer

If there is no Documents folder on that drive, right click and choose New Folder, then name it Documents

Open the Registry Editor again, it will still be on the same page

Double click Personal, then set its value data to this and click OK

D:\Documents

Double click {F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756}, then set its value data to this and click OK

D:\Documents

Close the Registry Editor and restart (not shut down) your PC

That will have separated your Documents folder form your D drive, you may need to manually move any files or folders that should be in your Documents folder into that new folder . . .

DaveM121, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

I mistakenly made my D: drive as document folder.

1. I mistakenly made my D: drive as document folder. - Similar Threads - mistakenly made drive

2. My documents folder became the Hard drive D:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My documents folder became the Hard drive D:: I was moving my folders from Local disk C to hard drive Data D but when it came to moving my documents I forgot to choose a subfolder in Users to select Documents so now my Documents folder has became the hard drive and I cant undo it because I have no system access and I...
  3. My documents folder became the Hard drive D:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My documents folder became the Hard drive D:: I was moving my folders from Local disk C to hard drive Data D but when it came to moving my documents I forgot to choose a subfolder in Users to select Documents so now my Documents folder has became the hard drive and I cant undo it because I have no system access and I...
  4. Accidentally made my Pictures into the entire D Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally made my Pictures into the entire D Drive: My entire D drive is now also my Pictures and I can't separate them. Help is greatly appreciated in making my D drive and Pictures separate once again....
  5. Accidentally made my Pictures into the entire D Drive

Accidentally made my Pictures into the entire D Drive: My entire D drive is now also my Pictures and I can't separate them. Help is greatly appreciated in making my D drive and Pictures separate once again....
  6. I have accidentally merged Documents folder to D drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have accidentally merged Documents folder to D drive.: Hi,I have used this guide to fix the accidental merging of Desktop and D drive which I also did https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-my-desktop-to-d-drive/062dc89d-727d-47c6-9657-b1d6eea48f29I realised that :\D has the Document folder...
  7. I have accidentally merged Documents folder to D drive.

I have accidentally merged Documents folder to D drive.: Hi,I have used this guide to fix the accidental merging of Desktop and D drive which I also did https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-my-desktop-to-d-drive/062dc89d-727d-47c6-9657-b1d6eea48f29I realised that :\D has the Document folder...
  8. I have accidentally merged Documents folder to D drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Made the mistake of moving the documents folder.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Made the mistake of moving the documents folder.: I built my first desktop the other day and I'm using an SSD and mechanical hard drive. I was looking up how to change the location of the documents folder so it's not on the SSD and put onto the mechanical hard drive. I thought I was doing everything correctly but did not...
  10. My documents folder became the Hard drive D:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing