Windows 10: I mounted my hard drive on a Live USB, and now Windows enters recovery mode

Discus and support I mounted my hard drive on a Live USB, and now Windows enters recovery mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, So I was playing around with Kali Linux on a Live USB, creating a simple script that would automatically mount a drive and copy the SAM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CraftyOrca31904, Apr 14, 2019.

1. I mounted my hard drive on a Live USB, and now Windows enters recovery mode

Hi everyone,

So I was playing around with Kali Linux on a Live USB, creating a simple script that would automatically mount a drive and copy the SAM file to the Desktop. However, when I finished and restarted my computer, Windows 10 entered Recovery Mode. I don't have any System Restore points. When I open GParted on Kali, it shows that my data is still there (so my files weren't erased) However, when I remount the drive, it just shows some log files in the "Windows" folder. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Are there any ideas? Thank you very much!

:)

CraftyOrca31904, Apr 14, 2019

2. Recovery Drive for Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Drive

When I try to create a Recovery Drive in Windows 10, Windows doesn't recognize the flash drive.

I'm following the instructions to create a Recovery Drive listed here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice. (I was asked to confirm my choice, and I clicked "Yes".)

• When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select
      Next.

• (Secret Step) Wait a minute or so for the "Please Wait" screen to finish thinking

• Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it ...
    The issue is that when I connect a USB drive to the PC, it doesn't appear on the "Connect a USB flash drive" screen as a drive that can be selected, and the "Next" button is grayed out.

However, when I look in File Explorer, I can see the USB drive plugged into the computer. Selecting Properties shows that Windows considers its Type to be "Removable Disk". (Sounds right to me.)

I'm not getting any error messages.

My environment:

A brand new Toshiba Sattelite C55-C5241 laptop with Windows 10 Home. It's never had anything other than Windows 10 on it - unless they upgraded it at the factory.

A brand new ativa 8GB USB flash drive. Note that the packaging for the USB drive does not include Windows 10 in the System Requirements, but seriously?

What I've tried:

• Plugging the flash drive into all three USB ports (USB 2, USB 2, and USB 3)
    • Reformatting the flash drive with FAT32
    • Restarting the computer with the flash drive plugged in
    • Turning off Real-Time Scanning in McAffee

I've seen a few threads with this issue in Windows 8, but none of the potential solutions in those threads have worked for me. So here I am asking the same question, but for Windows 10.

Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this issue?

Thank you.

Ambisinister, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Windows 10 will not mount Hard Drives

I upgraded my Laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Now I have a strange problem with some of my USB Hard Drives not mounting.

My computer is a Toshiba, with i5 processor and 8 GB of memory. It has one 500 GB internal hard disk.

But I have 7 external hard drives that I use for Backup, Music, and Architecture files.

Three are Powered and 4 are portables that are not self powered.

All are connected to an Anker Powered USB 3.0 Hub.

NOW, the 3 powered hard drives all mount when I start Windows 10 but the 4 self powered drives will not mount at all. Even if I disconnect them and plug them back in. Infact they do not even show up in the Device Manager.

Anker says they have not seen this problem. And Seagate will not talk to me.

OH the self-powered drives do mount if I connect them directly to the laptop.

And I restored Windows 8.1 and EVERYTHING worked fine.

Any ideas??

George in Santa Fe, Apr 14, 2019
  4. I mounted my hard drive on a Live USB, and now Windows enters recovery mode

Windows 10 Recovery drive error - Can't create a recovery drive on this PC

I inserted a new USB drive into my laptop, started drive recovery and after a
    while it found the drive. However, on proceeding with the process I was then getting the error message “We can’t create a recovery drive on this PC”.

The steps I took to resolved this were:

• Create a new partition on the USB drive.
    • Reformat the USB drive as NTFS
    • Make it bootable
    • Re-run the Windows 10 Create Recovery Drive utility

I am not sure that steps 2 & 3 are required as the utility will reformat the drive anyway but I haven’t tested this process omitting them.

Detailed instructions are as follows (thanks to
    www.indestructables.com
    for pointing me in the right direction here)

• Insert your USB flash drive to your running computer. As the first step, we need to run Command Prompt as administrator. To do this, we need to find cmd by typing 'cmd' in the search box on Windows Start Menu. After search result for 'cmd' appears,
      right click on it and select "Run as administrator".
    • Type 'diskpart' on Command Prompt (without quotes) and hit Enter. Wait for a while until the DISKPART program run.
    • Type 'list disk' to view active disks on your computer and hit Enter. There would be seen that the active disks shown as Disk 0 for hard drive and Disk 1 for your USB flashdrive with its total capacity.
    • Type 'select disk 1' to determine that disk 1 would be processed in the next step then hit Enter.
    • Type 'clean' and hit Enter to remove all of data in the drive.
    • Type 'create partition primary' and hit Enter. Creating a primary partition and further recognized by Windows as 'partition 1'.
    • Type 'select partition 1' an hit Enter. Choosing the 'partition 1' for setting up it as an active partition.
    • Type 'active' and hit Enter. Activating current partition.
    • Type 'format fs=ntfs quick' and hit Enter. Formatting current partition as NTFS file system quickly.
    • Type 'exit' and hit Enter. Leaving DISKPART program but don't close the Command Prompt.
    • Type 'bootsect /nt60 d:' and hit Enter. Creating boot sector on D: drive (USB flash drive)

MichaelChristopherS, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

I mounted my hard drive on a Live USB, and now Windows enters recovery mode

1. I mounted my hard drive on a Live USB, and now Windows enters recovery mode - Similar Threads - mounted hard drive

2. Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode: The recent Windows 10 update, prior to 6-23-23, has now created multiple USB "Power Management" tabs that need to opened and the boxes "unchecked" to allow Windows 10 to sleep.Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode - Microsoft Community...
  3. Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode: The recent Windows 10 update, prior to 6-23-23, has now created multiple USB "Power Management" tabs that need to opened and the boxes "unchecked" to allow Windows 10 to sleep.Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode - Microsoft Community...
  4. Update- Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  6. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  7. USB Flash Drives not mounting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash Drives not mounting.: USB Flash Drives are being assigned drive letters but not mounting and can't be seen in Windows File Explorer. Here is log for the drive.Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/ConfigurationSource: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 8/10/2021 11:33:56 AM Event ID: 442 Task...
  8. Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Prevent external USB hard drive from entering sleep mode: Hi everyone. I found a couple of threads on this topic but they're both locked so I decided to start a new one here. The problem I had been experiencing was that my external USB hard drive would enter sleep/suspend mode after a few seconds, requiring several seconds to come...
  9. Enter recovery mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Enter recovery mode: i recently selected the update to windows 10 and have now been unable to use my toshiba laptop. i am stuck on an “undoing changes made to your computer” screen. i have read various posts and threads but i have still had no luck. i have tried to power on and off method...
  10. External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost: How do you find an external hard drive after you change the drive letter and path in disk management? I need to find this in order to recover a very important file. When I plug in the external hard drive now, it does not show up in This PC. When I try to scan with Recuva,...