Windows 10: I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

Discus and support I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So at some point i made a file folder of pictures in one of my folders and i couldn't get rid of it. I tried to restore its default location but was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jaxson Cooper, May 22, 2023.

1. I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

So at some point i made a file folder of pictures in one of my folders and i couldn't get rid of it. I tried to restore its default location but was greeted with Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied. and i have tried different things but all i have done is that now its on my desktop by itself and don't know what to do, Plus it restores itself when i delete it.

:)

Jaxson Cooper, May 22, 2023
  2. tstack22 Win User

Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to disappear, and contents of Desktop to appear in Pictures

I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" (but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures") in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.

To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D drive. I started with Pictures, by going to the Properties menu, selecting location, and clicking Move, then selecting the folder D:\Users\wife (not actually "wife," but her name).

I then started on the Desktop folder before it was completed, moving it in the same manner.

When it was done, the folder D:\Users\wife had disappeared. In it's place was just the "Pictures" folder, complete with the icon. Thinking I selected the wrong folder, I moved that "Pictures" folder back to the C drive location.

Now, in D:\users, there's my user folder and one named "Pictures," with the default pictures' folder icon. When I open it, the contents are what was in the Desktop folder, with the addition of a folder called "Desktop," which is empty.

In the C:\Users\wife folder, there is no Desktop folder. The Pictures folder has the Desktop's contents, minus the "Desktop" folder.

When I check the properties of anything in the D:\Users\Pictures folder, it says the location is D:\Users\wife. When I click on anything on the actual desktop and check the location, it says D:\Users\wife.

When I type the location D:\Users\wife into the search bar, it opens the D pictures folder. The top of the folder, however I access it, has the location as D:\Users\Pictures.

What happened to the Pictures folder? My wife had about 10 GB of photos in there. She never backed up, and I didn't realize my auto backups were only backing up my account.

The available space on the C drive has not changed, so it doesn't appear the 10 GB were deleted.

How can I recover those photos? Please help; my marriage may depend on it (not really, but it'll avoid some temporary discontent at least). Thanks for any tips you can give.

tstack22, May 22, 2023
  3. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to disappear, and contents of Desktop to appear in Pictures

Hi TS. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

This can happen if you don't first create a folder by the same name in the target location to move the shell User folder into from the Location Tab > Move. If you don't do this then it turns the folder chosen into the shell User folder and dumps the files into it's root.

To undo this here is how to locate the Shell User folder and restore it to default location, or if it has become lost to recreate it from scratch in the default location:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23504-resto...

If you didn't choose the additional step to move the files into the new location, then the files would remain in the old location. They cannot go anywhere else, you either choose to move them to the new location, and because you choose your Wife's User Profile folder and not a new Pictures folder there that you had created, they'd all be in her User Profile folder. If you didn't choose to move them, theyd be in the old location in a now-unofficial Pictures folder that it was moved from.

The way to tell which is the official Shell user folder is that it will have a document, picture, music note, down arrow or desktop icon on the front, and a Location Tab in it's Properties where you move it or Restore to default location.

If you moved Pictures into your Wife's User folder and have turned it into the Pictures folder, here is how to undo that specific scenario:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/116167-undo...

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Greg Carmack - Veteran MVP now Independent Advisor, May 22, 2023
  4. Cyndera80 Win User

I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

Cannot move desktop to a new location in Windows 7

I've been trying to move the desktop location on a machine that runs Windows 7.

On my own machine (Windows 10), there's a "Location" tab in the desktop properties.

That tab is missing on the machine that runs Windows 7.

I came across the suggestion below in other threads, but it is not working for me. Any other suggestions on how to change to location or how to get the location tab to show?

Thanks!

1. Open the Registry editor (Regedit.exe)
    2. Browse to the location:

HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders.
    3. In the right window pane select the required value (i.e. Desktop).
    4. Insert the new location for the folder to be stored.
    5. Close the registry editor and log off

--> Didn't work.

Cyndera80, May 22, 2023
Thema:

I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

1. I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it... - Similar Threads - moved pictures onto

2. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  3. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  4. I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...: So at some point i made a file folder of pictures in one of my folders and i couldn't get rid of it. I tried to restore its default location but was greeted with Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied....
  5. I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I moved pictures onto my desktop and the location is stuck on a folder in my desktop and it...: So at some point i made a file folder of pictures in one of my folders and i couldn't get rid of it. I tried to restore its default location but was greeted with Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied....
  6. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  7. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  8. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

9. When I move a picture from my desktop to a folder on the desktop, there is still an "image"...

When I move a picture from my desktop to a folder on the desktop, there is still an "image"...: Hello I just upgraded to Windows 10. I've been able to download screenshots to my desktop then move them to a folder on my desktop, no problem. Now, when I do that, it leaves behind a "ghost" image of sorts, its not the picture, but it has a PNG icon, it looks like, and I...
  10. I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder

I accidently moved the desktop folders location to my user profile/administrator folder: Now after resetting my pc and trying for a whole day, I can't figure out how to undo it. This is how it happened, I went into my desktop properties, to location tab, when changing it, it went back to previous parent folder, where my default user profiles are saved, i thought...