Windows 10: I must restart computer to get audio to play after recent MS update

Discus and support I must restart computer to get audio to play after recent MS update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Following a recent MS Windows update, I must restart my laptop every time I want to play anything with audio. It makes no difference what browser or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BruceRobins1, Apr 19, 2021.

1. I must restart computer to get audio to play after recent MS update

Following a recent MS Windows update, I must restart my laptop every time I want to play anything with audio. It makes no difference what browser or player program I'm using.

:)

BruceRobins1, Apr 19, 2021
  2. hr0201 Win User

"audio renderer error. please restart your computer" error youtube

And another thing to try:
    Update your audio drivers (strange that this would be necessary as there hadn't been any changes for me; but it usually is a good idea to have the latest drivers anyway).
    Note: We did have a PC whose audio stopped working and a BIOS update solved it. This definitely wasn't the root of the problem for that computer because it was working like normal before and there were no apparent changes (and the user didn't have administrative access). I'd recommend this as a last step. I've never had a problem with a BIOS update but prefer to do it only if there is a useful fix (and of course better to back up before).

Here's another solution that someone posted:
    Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer.
    I had the realtek error when using the installer, so I did these step and It Worked
    note: make sure before doing these steps that you have driver enforcement disabled
    < I don't know if this is necessary but that's what the poster suggested. - >

1.Go Open up device manager
    2. Go under sound,video, and game controllers
    3. Find Realtek High Definition Audio
    4. Right click and hit update driver
    << I would think just updating the driver would probably work, but if not (for instance if it's up-to-date) then you could try the following steps as well. - >>
    5. Browse my computer for driver software
    6. Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    7. Click Have Disk and hit browse
    8. Click on the Realtek HD Audio mod folder and look for win64
    9. Click on the HDXRT4 and click ok,
    10. Click Next and Yes
    After it is done, restart the PC

You should be good then and also make sure before doing these steps that you have driver enforcement disabled.

hr0201, Apr 19, 2021
  3. GIL
    gil Win User
    Windows sound not playing after recent Win10 Update

Hi all,

Symptom:
    Since last windows update, windows doesn't play the windows sounds: Startup, UAC sound, exclamation, warning, notifications, etc.

Note: Other sounds, like games, videos, calls are working well.

I use SoundBlaster Z series sound card. Their recent driver update release notes lists that the driver is fixing this issue.

Actions taken:
    Removed the driver completely
    rebooted
    Reinstalled the driver

Results:
    After initial boot and subsequent restarts, the windows sounds play well.
    After a computer shutdown and startup - the above symptom is introduced again, i.e., windows sounds don't play anymore.

I've repeated the steps above and ended up with the same problem.

Can anyone please assist?

Win10 Pro
    Version 1909
    OS Build 18363.657

Thanks.

4. Riel Alc Win User

I must restart computer to get audio to play after recent MS update

Computer not letting audio play on other devices

Exactly, I think it was just after Windows 10 Falls Creators Updates
    Thank you for the information you've provided.

In this case, we suggest installing the most updated audio driver since you've installed the latest Windows major update. To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, click Device Manager.
    • Under Device Manager, expand Sound, video and game controllers.
    • Right-click on the audio device installed, then click Properties.
    • Click the Driver tab, click Uninstall.
    • Restart your computer.
    Note: Windows will automatically install the updated driver for the device after restarting your computer.

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

Riel Alc, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

I must restart computer to get audio to play after recent MS update

1. I must restart computer to get audio to play after recent MS update - Similar Threads - must restart computer

2. After recent update sometimes Audio won't play on browser-based videos.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After recent update sometimes Audio won't play on browser-based videos.: After the recent update, sometimes when I go to start a video from Youtube, or a streaming service the audio will not play. If I reload the page, or manually move the play timer back to 0:00 the sound will then function. This issue happens regardless of if I'm using my...
  3. After recent update sometimes Audio won't play on browser-based videos.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After recent update sometimes Audio won't play on browser-based videos.: After the recent update, sometimes when I go to start a video from Youtube, or a streaming service the audio will not play. If I reload the page, or manually move the play timer back to 0:00 the sound will then function. This issue happens regardless of if I'm using my...
  4. Recently, It is taking a long time to Restart computer and I get a BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently, It is taking a long time to Restart computer and I get a BSOD: Community Support,Recently, It is taking a long time to Restart a computer running Windows 10 Pro 22H2 and get a BSOD eventually after waiting around 6 minutes! The error screen says basically, Stop Code: "Driver Power State Failure." It is now taking around 11 minutes to...
  5. Recently, It is taking a long time to Restart computer and I get a BSOD

Recently, It is taking a long time to Restart computer and I get a BSOD: Community Support,Recently, It is taking a long time to Restart a computer running Windows 10 Pro 22H2 and get a BSOD eventually after waiting around 6 minutes! The error screen says basically, Stop Code: "Driver Power State Failure." It is now taking around 11 minutes to...
  6. Recently, It is taking a long time to Restart computer and I get a BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. I was playing Tabletopsimulator with discord and computer restarted after the sound was...

I was playing Tabletopsimulator with discord and computer restarted after the sound was...: I checked Event viewer and noticed this message:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000501, 0x0000000000000500, 0xfffff800538fb320. A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
  8. Automatic Restarts After Recent Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatic Restarts After Recent Updates: Since the updates (apparently released or at least installed yesterday evening 8PM PA time), my computer automatically restarts once every hour or so. What is strange is that this only occurs if I am watching a particular Streaming Service (Disney Plus) on Chrome. I thought...
  9. Audio Issues After Recent Updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Issues After Recent Updates: So I am using my surface pro docking station to run my speaker on and several times each day the Audio goes silent. I have ran the troubleshooter, restarted the services several times and always still have to restart my unit. I have even tried uninstalling the driver and...
  10. Only 1 user can hear audio after 17763.379 update...must restart to get audio back

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Only 1 user can hear audio after 17763.379 update...must restart to get audio back: After the 17763.379 update only the first user to log into the machine will get audio. The troubleshooter finds no errors. I have 2 audio devices in device manager, NVIDIA High Definition Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio. The default audio device is the Realtek...