Windows 10: I need a better understanding of Google Chrome

Discus and support I need a better understanding of Google Chrome in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I just read on another post that Google Chrome is the most popular browser in the world. I'm interested in trying it on one of my computers but have... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by MeAndMyComputer, May 17, 2017.

1. I need a better understanding of Google Chrome

I just read on another post that Google Chrome is the most popular browser in the world.
    I'm interested in trying it on one of my computers but have seen problems on some of my friends computers.
    In this past month 2 of my friends had similar problems: slow as slow goes even though both computers were clean.
    One of the computers is Win10 & the other one is Win7
    --- Is the ASK toolbar a problem?
    --- I didn't note the exact description, but it appears to me that something like MyWay was in use in the Google Chrome home page URL?
    --- Is the SearchScopes a problem?
    --- How are Microsoft's Windows updates kept up properly?
    In each of those 2 computers I switched over to IE11 and updated numerous important Windows Updates and in both cases the computers ran excellently afterward.
    --- My friends then had me uninstall Google Chrome and their computers run fine now.
    --- Whether or not Google Chrome would have run fine after that I don't know
    --- But it makes me wonder how to use Google Chrome on one of my computers safely

:)

MeAndMyComputer, May 17, 2017

2. window's 10 and Chromebrowser

Hi,

Thank you for posting your queries in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

Are the issues Specific to Google Chrome?

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome.

Delete Google Chrome on your system and reinstall the latest version that supports Windows 10 from the website.

In case of any further queries please write to us, we are glad to assist you.

Sudharshan M K, May 17, 2017
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Google chrome is not working in my windows 10 computer

Hi Cal,

We need to verify some information for us to better understand your Google Chrome concern. Kindly answer these questions:

• When did the Google Chrome issue start?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the issue?
    • Can you please provide us the screenshot of the error message that you're getting when accessing Google Chrome?
    • Have you tried re-installing Google Chrome?
    • Can you still access other web browsers or other applications?

Argel Obm, May 17, 2017
  4. Fafhrd Win User

I need a better understanding of Google Chrome

If the search tool in any browser changes to something other than the search tool you have chosen, then something has changed it. Often this is associated with a downloaded installer that not only installed what you downloaded but also some other apps, which are often undesirable.

You may have been given the opportunity to opt-out during the installation process, but often these installers are deceptively designed to make you choose to make the wrong choice (from the user's point of view).

Fafhrd, May 17, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Chrome is not intrinsically slow. Its the addons and toolbars that slow it down. I would avoid toolbars in general as they tend to replicate what you can do without them. I would certainly avoid the ask toolbar.

Generally you want to keep the number of extensions to a minimum and only install ones you'll actually use and read the reviews on the app store.

Other than Chrome, I would consider using Edge over IE since that is no longer developed (although it may be patched from time to time).

I use Chrome for both work and home, and have experienced the occasional minor problems but nothing like slowness or memory hogging. I mainly like Chrome because of its cross device syncing and its in-built translator (for work).

swarfega, May 17, 2017
  6. I'm also learning all I can about Chrome before switching. I've used IE all my life, but they are making it really hard for me to continue. After upgrading my laptop to Win10, it took me lots of searching to get rid of Bing and install Google as my search - Very frustrating! Recently after a Windows update, it appears all but impossible to do now - I get "Cannot do this at this time, please try again later"

I'm not going to use Bing. If I cannot delete it and install Google search, I guess I'll have to switch to Chrome, so I need to learn all I can before dumping IE, as that's all I know, going back 20 years. If I can't make Chrome work well with Win 10, I guess I'll have to buy a MacBook!

I understand Microsoft is doing their best to force everyone to use Bing, but for me, they're about to force me to another company - Nobody likes to be forced to use anything they don't care for

Will I run into problems switching to Chrome? Any valid reason not to?

Thanks for any advice/experience anyone would care to offer

Don

alphacarina, May 19, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    You don't have to learn anything much, or indeed switch, you can install and use several Browsers, no problem.

I use IE and the Chrome Browser, with Edge falling in to 3rd place.

Have Google as the main default Search in all three Browsers, again no problem with that, only a slightly different way of setting them.

Also been using IE seemingly for ever, at least 20 years, and Chrome ever since it first appeared.
    So, don't give up it can be done....

Helmut, May 19, 2017
  8. I need a better understanding of Google Chrome

MeAndMyComputer, May 20, 2017
  9. Basically any Chromium based browser is better than Chrome. It is so popular, because it is bundled in various setups and people do not know any better. There is Epic, Brave, Iridium, etc.

7 Chromium Based Browsers With Extra Features • Raymond.CC

TairikuOkami, May 20, 2017
  10. At first I was wondering about Google Chrome but I've come to realize now it's related more to people who do not know any better.
    Since I volunteer at our senior center, I want to be helpful for those who use Google Chrome so I'm going to take the time to use it on one of my computers.

MeAndMyComputer, May 20, 2017
  11. whanbury Win User
    Google Chrome is a very fast browser. It was designed to maximize the use of any older processor available. I remember the first time switching from IE to Chrome. I was so sick of IE "going gray" and going into recovery mode. By today's standards IE is ancient and actually it was never up to snuff compared to Netscape in the beginning. But Microsoft had the money to bankroll it and kept it afloat for a long time. Its big strength was cloud compatibility with business apps. But it sure didn't run well on home computers.

If you have toolbars on your Chrome browser you downloaded from somewhere else than Google. There are plenty of deceptive companies that will "load up" your download with garbage and you think you're only downloading Chrome, but they're filling you up with adware and search engines that will track all your browsing and buying habits.

Go directly to Google and download the official install. If you see any unusual search engine or a toolbar, you've been hijacked.

whanbury, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

I need a better understanding of Google Chrome

1. I need a better understanding of Google Chrome - Similar Threads - need better understanding

2. I need a better understanding of security keys for Microsoft Hello and other apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need a better understanding of security keys for Microsoft Hello and other apps: After I got locked out of my account I'm starting to look for a security key. There are so many brands of keys that are available to purchase and with terms, I don't understand.There are no charts I can find from Microsoft with brand and model numbers that are compatible.My...
  3. I need a better understanding of security keys for Microsoft Hello and other apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need a better understanding of security keys for Microsoft Hello and other apps: After I got locked out of my account I'm starting to look for a security key. There are so many brands of keys that are available to purchase and with terms, I don't understand.There are no charts I can find from Microsoft with brand and model numbers that are compatible.My...
  4. Google Chrome’s tabs sharing feature to get better on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome’s tabs sharing feature to get better on Windows 10: If you’re a long-term Google Chrome user you may have come across the browser’s tabs sharing feature, which basically allows you to push things from Windows 10 to your phone and vice versa. A Chromium post suggests that Google is working on a new version of the tabs sharing...
  5. Help me understand why Google Chrome is taking up 396.2MBs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help me understand why Google Chrome is taking up 396.2MBs: [IMG] submitted by /u/Superluigibros84 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ksgs54/help_me_understand_why_google_chrome_is_taking_up/
  6. Stop removing deleted google/ google chrome Need the fix!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop removing deleted google/ google chrome Need the fix!: Why is there no fix for this question posted by A.User in Feb 2018, see below. I have the same issue and need it fixed. I absolutely refuse to use Microsoft edge. I will never use a product that a company is trying to force me to use. Now post a fix for this please!...
  7. I need help with a combination of Win10, Chrome, and Google.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I need help with a combination of Win10, Chrome, and Google.: I use Chrome and Firefox and somehow I am having trouble with google account and Voice no longer makes calls and I think I may have messed up some other things. I need a real guru to hold my hand and let me get my computers working. I also need some advice/help with...
  8. Better password protections in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 News
    Better password protections in Google Chrome: Many of us have encountered malware, heard of data breaches, or even been a victim of phishing, where a site tries to scam you into entering your passwords and other sensitive information. With all this considered, data security has become a top concern for many people...
  9. Google Search new advancements to understand searches better

in Windows 10 News
    Google Search new advancements to understand searches better: If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the 15 years working on Google Search, it’s that people’s curiosity is endless. We see billions of searches every day, and 15 percent of those queries are ones we haven’t seen before--so we’ve built ways to return results for queries we...
  10. Google Chrome to work better with Windows 10’s touch keyboard

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome to work better with Windows 10’s touch keyboard: Microsoft is actively contributing to the Chromium community and the recent commits made by Microsoft are supposed to improve Chromium browsers experience on Windows 10. According to the latest findings, Google Chrome will work better with Windows 10’s touch keyboard when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. understanding google chrome