Windows 10: I need a hard drive to create a system image.

Discus and support I need a hard drive to create a system image. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to backup everything Windows 10, personal files, etc. but I don't think I have enough space with Blu-Ray discs so I need a hard drive to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AleksUher, Apr 24, 2020.

1. AleksUher Win User

I need a hard drive to create a system image.

I'm trying to backup everything Windows 10, personal files, etc. but I don't think I have enough space with Blu-Ray discs so I need a hard drive to save a system image to. I'm using the Windows 7 option in Windows 10 Pro. The hard drives, however, don't show up. I think it's because I need a free hard drive and not one I'm making an image of. I don't know what I should do. The computer stores are closed, I don't want to format the C: or D: drive because I need them. Do I make a partition or something? Thank you.

:)

AleksUher, Apr 24, 2020
  2. Vornoxem Win User

Backup "Create a system image" dialog does not list second hard drive as a target location

The dialog to create a system image in Windows 10 does not list my second hard drive (D: drive, formatted NTFS, not configured as removable storage, does not contain my windows installation) as a target location.

On the Disk management screen, the C: drive I want to back up is listed as a system & boot drive, the D: drive is listed as a plain NTFS drive (no 'page file', 'system' or anything but 'Primary partition' in the brackets).

Because of this, I can not back up my Windows installation as a system image. I noticed the system image dialog does list a USB stick when I insert it. Is the solution to somehow mark my D: drive as 'removable storage' somehow, or is there another reason
    it does not list my D: drive?

Vornoxem, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Creating a system image

Windows 10 is currently installed, what im doing is im creating a system image on a 1TB external USB HDD, i want to install windows 7 alongside windows 10. i was told that in order to accomplish this feat, i would have to wipe windows 10, install windows
    7, and then 10 again. i just was wondering if it is different with system images.

Tyler Tomko, Apr 24, 2020
  4. Anon7861 Win User

Capacity of external system image hard drive

In creating a system image, what capacity hard drive the backup must be saved on?
    Should the capacity of the external hard drive equal or exceed that of the source drive?

In the event of a system crash, how is the operating system restored with the system image created?

Anon7861, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

1. I need a hard drive to create a system image. - Similar Threads - need hard drive

2. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  3. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  4. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Hard drive is not visible in dropdown for creating system image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive is not visible in dropdown for creating system image.: Hi,I have installed 2 SSD and 1 Hard drive, I am running windows 11 OS, previously I was able to create system image on my hard drive but now when I open the app to create a new backup, it don't show my hard drive in dropdown.As you can see there is a 2 TB Hard drive E...
  6. Hard drive is not visible in dropdown for creating system image.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive is not visible in dropdown for creating system image.: Hi,I have installed 2 SSD and 1 Hard drive, I am running windows 11 OS, previously I was able to create system image on my hard drive but now when I open the app to create a new backup, it don't show my hard drive in dropdown.As you can see there is a 2 TB Hard drive E...
  7. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  8. Creating system image after hard drive replaced? Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Creating system image after hard drive replaced? Windows 10: I have a hard drive that is failing. I backed up my files, created a system image, and a restore USB drive. However, when I went to create the system repair disc, the printer installation disc that was already in the drive prompted my computer to try to finish installing the...
  9. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  10. Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on.

Internal hard drive can't be selected to create a system image on.: So currently I am trying to create a system image of my PC on a hard drive. When I go to select my HDD D: as the location for backup, the options were only my SSD E:, and after looking through some answers online I tried to reformat my hard drive which again still wouldn't...