Windows 10: I Need Assistance Reverting to Windows 7 from Windows 10 "Upgrade"

Discus and support I Need Assistance Reverting to Windows 7 from Windows 10 "Upgrade" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo B560 laptop on loan to me from my job. It was lent to me as a Windows 7 (pre-installed) machine and has the product key on the bottom.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Captain F, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Captain F Win User

I Need Assistance Reverting to Windows 7 from Windows 10 "Upgrade"

I have a Lenovo B560 laptop on loan to me from my job. It was lent to me as a Windows 7 (pre-installed) machine and has the product key on the bottom. A well-meaning member of my household “upgraded” the computer to Windows 10 via the “Get Windows 10” upgrade offer that appeared in the lower right notification area, without my knowledge. I now need to roll back to Windows 7, but am faced with a couple of problems:

1. When Windows 7 was running on the computer, I would log in as “administrator”, no password, no problem . Now when the Windows 10 version boots, it shows me a user called “Volunteer” (no one knows anything about this user) and requires a password (also unknown), but nothing about “Administrator”. So I can’t get past the login screen.

2. I attempted to download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO files) from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7, in order to reinstall Windows 7, but the site would not validate the product key that is on the bottom of the computer, so I was unable to download Windows 7 from Microsoft. No reason given; it just wouldn’t validate.

How can I get this computer back to running on Windows 7? Thanks.

:)

Captain F, Aug 29, 2015

2. Can I reinstall Windows 10 once I upgrade?

Untouched by the upgrade

Yes

In theory it will revert back to an unactivated windows 7. Why? when you upgraded, your windows 7 license was "consumed" by your new windows 10 license; this cannot be automatically downgraded. If you want to be downgraded you will have to ask Microsoft.

Moral of the story. Have a play with Windows 10 before you upgrade. Either install the preview on a spare computer; try it out at a friends; try it out at a MS store...

Computerabber, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Can I keep my Windows 7 copy when upgrading to windows 10?

Are you literally trying to "Revert" using the revert function in Windows 10 (which deactivates after 30 days) or are you trying to "revert" by clean installing? Try clean installing Vista, then re-upgrade to Windows 7 using your upgrade media. Does your
    upgrade of Windows 7 activate? Windows 7 is still a supported operating system. I can't test this myself because all my copies of Windows 7 are retail, so I have product keys and installation media.

Anotherhaus, Aug 29, 2015
  4. I Need Assistance Reverting to Windows 7 from Windows 10 "Upgrade"

I've used more than one "loaner machine" from work, and in my own experience, the single BEST thing you can do is take it back to work, explain what happened (that someone in your household messed with it) and have THEM restore the machine. This is because, most likely, they used an Enterprise VL version for that machine, and you don't have that to do a restore. Also, in the case of work machines, they are often configured for Domain access and generally come with a set of preinstalled apps.

Hope this goes well for you -- saying that because the last place I worked, tampering with a "loaner machine" was sufficient grounds for being FIRED!

Mark Phelps, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Captain F Win User
    Thanks, yes, having work do it is certainly a viable option, I just thought I would try to avoid having to inconvenience IT dep't, but you are correct, it makes the most sense, and no, there will be no repercussions for "tampering."

Captain F, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Aug 30, 2015
  7. Glad to hear about the latter -- that's not always the case.

As to IT grumbling, having spent a few decades in IT, I can assure you that grumbling is what we were expected to do! Besides, if it's a lot of work to reimage the machine, they'll most likely just take it back and issue you a replacement machine.

Mark Phelps, Aug 30, 2015
  8. YOU
    You Win User

9. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I Need Assistance Reverting to Windows 7 from Windows 10 "Upgrade" - Similar Threads - Need Assistance Reverting

2. I cant upgrade from windows 7 to 10 I had to revert to 7 because of a wipe gone wrong with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant upgrade from windows 7 to 10 I had to revert to 7 because of a wipe gone wrong with...: I had an issue with windows 10 I had to revert back to windows 7 since that's the only copy I had every time I try to upgrade using the ISO file I get this error 0x80072f8f-0x20000...
  3. I cant upgrade from windows 7 to 10 I had to revert to 7 because of a wipe gone wrong with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant upgrade from windows 7 to 10 I had to revert to 7 because of a wipe gone wrong with...: I had an issue with windows 10 I had to revert back to windows 7 since that's the only copy I had every time I try to upgrade using the ISO file I get this error 0x80072f8f-0x20000...
  4. Need Windows 10 Key upgraded from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need Windows 10 Key upgraded from Windows 7: Dear Team, I had upgraded from Windows-7 to Windows-10 during 2015. Now my HDD is corrupted and I have replaced it with a new one. I have only Windows-7 original serial number. How to get the new serial number corresponding? Thanks and Regards Chandrashekhar...
  5. I need advice upgrading to windows 7 from windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I need advice upgrading to windows 7 from windows 10: Windows 10 is steaming garbage that's had several blue screens in the first year of owning. My windows 7 PC lasted me 7 years and i dont recall a single blue screen error. Also windows 10 has the most stupid features that they don't make optional. It's ridiculous to force...
  6. Upgraded from 7 to 10 but Windows 10 Says I need to Activate It.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded from 7 to 10 but Windows 10 Says I need to Activate It.: I want you to know that I did do my research but could not find the answer that I need. My Lenovo T430 laptop came pre-installed with Windows 7 64 when I bought it in 2012. My OS was/isfully legitimate. The only hardware that I upgraded was RAM and I switched out the hard...
  7. Need help upgrading from windows 7

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help upgrading from windows 7: [ATTACH] So I have an old computer that I wanted to upgrade to windows 10 and everything was going smoothly until it freezes on a percentage with the loading circle not moving at all so in the end i had to force shut down the pc which leads to it undoing the changes and...
  8. Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, will I need to upgrade Microsoft version of word...

Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, will I need to upgrade Microsoft version of word...: My Hp Pavilion computer is 9 years old. There is nothing wrong with it but I need to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 since windows 7 will no longer be supported as of January 1, 2020. A local computer shop recommended I just upgrade computer and put a larger hard drive in like...
  9. Revert back to windows 7 from 10

Revert back to windows 7 from 10: How do I get windows 7 back on my computer. I installed windows 10 but do not like it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/revert-back-to-windows-7-from-10/3493d33b-0f5e-40ab-a77e-fe7e1fd18068
  10. upgrade to 10, revert to 7, then back to 10

upgrade to 10, revert to 7, then back to 10: I have upgraded all of my one-generation-back Win boxes, but want to ease into 10 at leisure. As I understand it, the registry is modified at the first upgrade to 10 with the activation "approval", but I am concerned that this will be lost upon reversion to the earlier...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can installing win 10 over win 7 & then reverting cause problems