Windows 10: I need File Explorer to show "My Passport", the original name of my 2T external drive.

Discus and support I need File Explorer to show "My Passport", the original name of my 2T external drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 07/04/19 6:55 PM Hello: Would someone help me with this strange issue? On Saturday 6/29/19, I went to the local library for some paperwork. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by evitane, Jul 4, 2019.

1. evitane Win User

I need File Explorer to show "My Passport", the original name of my 2T external drive.

07/04/19 6:55 PM

Hello:

Would someone help me with this strange issue?
    On Saturday 6/29/19, I went to the local library for some paperwork. But instead, I decided to download files from my multiple USBs into "My Passport", a 2T external drive. It was quasi empty because I had forgotten about it. Not one problem with the download. However, when I went to the PC “File Explorer” to eject the first USB in order to proceed with the next, I was shocked to see the same name "EMTEC" for the two plugged in devices. I imagined a couple of circumstances when I might have to transfer file from one to the other! I would have to keep clicking on each!!!

Unfortunately for me, the very nice librarian/technician was not present. The library closes at 5:00pm on F + S, and does not open on Sundays (summer schedule.) I drove my problem home. The same scenario played on my PC. The system troubleshooter found no dysfunctions. I returned to the library on Monday 7/1/19, hoping for help from its cyber-tech expert, and to continue my tasks. I am told that he is on vacation until next week. L So far this week I have spent most of my time searching for help on the web. To no avail! “

Note that EMTEC" is the legal (?) ID of the 32G USB, which I purchased a couple of years ago; it was the first USB from which I had downloaded files into “My Passport”; I had repeated the file downloading process with two or three older SanDisks and a Micro Center USBs on that first day. Apparently “My Passport” fell in love, married, and opted to carry the legal name of my EMTEC USB! J

Since this sounds like an alien romance story in cyber space, I have resolved to avoid plugging those two on my PC at the same time. (A preventive measure against multiplication of their progéniture, which might suffocate it!) Believe me, I am still perplexed, annoyed, concerned, upset… about this strange new experience after over 30 years of fascination with electronic devices! Then again, I am glad to have found romance in this one! So, I shall continue to smile, hoping that my humor will inspire a smart “First Responder” to rescue me from my pool of ignorance! J

Thanks, and have a safe end of Independence Day Celebration !

:)

evitane, Jul 4, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jul 4, 2019
  3. why won't file explorer show an external hard drive?

On Windows 10 Gateway Desk computer, I have an external hard drive, passport ultra, but it does not show up in file explorer and I cannot open it. It is seen by the computer as connected when I open Devices - Connected.

It does show up on my laptop, also running Win 10

DavidFrick, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Riel Alc Win User

I need File Explorer to show "My Passport", the original name of my 2T external drive.

Windows 10 won't read external MyPassport drive

Hello Jenny,

To show the files that are saved on the drive, please follow the steps below:

• Open the My Passport drive.
    • Click View, then check Hidden items.
    • See if the files will be shown.

I need File Explorer to show "My Passport", the original name of my 2T external drive. d28e20e3-faec-4ded-acc9-8c260c0497d5.jpg

Let us know how it goes.

Riel Alc, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

1. I need File Explorer to show "My Passport", the original name of my 2T external drive. - Similar Threads - need File Explorer

2. Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....: It shows under Device Manager but not under File Explorer.Disk Management shows that It is not initialized. If I initialize, will it lose all my data in my passportThanks for your help...
  3. Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....: It shows under Device Manager but not under File Explorer.Disk Management shows that It is not initialized. If I initialize, will it lose all my data in my passportThanks for your help...
  4. Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My Passport external HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Passport external HDD.: Good morning all Iuse the above to store all my photos. Occasionally when I plug it in so I can perhaps post a photo to Facebook for example it shows up as if I,d clicked on the drive to use it when I hadn,t .Then sometimes it will not show in file explore and then I...
  6. WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.

WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.: When I try to set up the WD Apps I get a message " This app can't run on your PC. " I am trying to restore files to a new PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-passport-1tb-external-harfd-drive/6ac13f82-25ef-47f3-b04d-8a2c40efd026
  7. WD My passport External hard drive not working

WD My passport External hard drive not working: The name and bar showing up shows fine, but when I try to download something it automatically goes to the C:/original hard drive. It ends up saying disk space full because my disk space on C:/ is full. How do I set up My Passport so it can take in files?...
  8. wd my passport not showing up in file explorer.

wd my passport not showing up in file explorer.: So I know the drive isnt faulty, its just user error on the software side. What happened was I was using an ISO burning tool to burn password recovery software FOR FUTURE USE, MY PASSWORDS ARE FINE to an external flash drive. What i didnt know was that i was stupid and did...
  9. File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive

File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive: I plugged an external "A" drive into my computer via a USB port with File Explorer open. The "A" drive shows up, but only for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. I changed USB ports and it does the same. I checked Device Manager under "Floppy Drives" and it shows the "A"...
  10. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...