Windows 10: I need help loading a VLC file

Discus and support I need help loading a VLC file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; A VLC audio file that previously worked in Windows 8 does not work now in Windows 10/ HOME version. At least I think that is the only difference. Hope... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KRLN, Sep 13, 2017.

1. KRLN Win User

I need help loading a VLC file

A VLC audio file that previously worked in Windows 8 does not work now in Windows 10/ HOME version. At least I think that is the only difference. Hope you can help. The message is:
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda:///E:/'. Check the log for details.
    I don't even see where there is a log. ?

File is so very important. I hope you can help.

:)

2. Sub-Title Files (*.srt) not loading

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

I have a large collection of Movies. Most of them are in foreign languages.

These movie files (*.avi, *.mp4, *.mkv etc) have their own English subtitle files (mostly *.srt).

When I play these movies with VLC or KMPlayer they automatically recognize the accompanying subtitle file (having exactly the same

filename of the movie file (like abcd.avi & abcd.srt) and load them.

But in the new movie & tv app of Windows 10, these files do not get loaded.

Also unlike VLC and KMPlayer, this new Windows 10 app does not have a menu of manually loading a subtitle file.

Am I missing something here ? Do I need to change some settings ?

S.K.Das Mollick

India

SadhanDas-Mollick, Sep 13, 2017
  3. Windows Media Player can not play MPEG and AVI videos on Widows 10. How do I convert these to MP4 or WMV?

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

There are many free converters you can find using Bing or Google,

I use VLC - Free to play files WMP will not. The VLC forums offer a lot of help with conversion issues.

VLC - Free

Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN

VLC - Forums

The VideoLAN Forums - Forum Home

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Sep 13, 2017
  4. I need help loading a VLC file

Welcome to the Forums KRLN!

Have you tried updating VLC? Are you SURE the file hasn't become corrupted? What format is it in? Have you rebooted and tried playing it? A little information goes a long way for us to help.

indianacarnie, Sep 13, 2017
  5. KRLN Win User
    I did update the VLC; same message. How can I tell if the file is corrupted? What could cause that? I had it saved on a disk, on a thumb drive, and on the hard drive, so would all of them be corrupted? I have rebooted, to no avail. I'm sorry I'm not tech savvy...how can I tell what format it is in? One file shows e00, the next d00...if that makes any sense.. but there are a number of files, and none of them work. The audio portion of the VLC player is working when I play a video...

6. The format would be the file extension ....... .wav, .fls , .jpg, .flac etc. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling VLC?

indianacarnie, Sep 13, 2017
  7. Check out these two pages: File extension e00 and File extention d00.

These are not extensions for video formats. One is an ArcGIS extension, and the other is a virtual disc image format.

ArazelEternal, Sep 13, 2017
  8. KRLN Win User

is it .xfps?

9. indianacarnie, Sep 13, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    It would help if you could show us the actual file name and extension.
    A screenshot would be great (see below)
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

Assuming it's a .cdda:

cdda file:
    CDDA File (What It Is How To Open One)
    CDDA File Extension - What is a .cdda file and how do I open it?
    .cdda Extension - List of programs that can open .cdda files
    Quick Time and itunes can open these...

What icon does your cdda file have?
    If it's a blank white one, there's nothing defined to handle this extension.

It may be possible to convert it to something like mp3 using an on line convertor...

dalchina, Sep 20, 2017
  11. KRLN Win User
    Thank you very much for your response. I feel as if I have tried everything. These files are so important to me, I am hoping there is a way to open and listen to them.

attached is a screen shot of the files. I have them in a playlist. They simply won't open. Other au files play on my VLC, but these will not.

I appreciate any help you could offer.

For some reason the image will not load. But the files appear as this:
    e0000736.au
    e0000753.au

12. Bree New Member
    The .au file format is not one I'm familiar with Wikipedia - Au file format. Apparently there are 27 possible encoding formats a .au file can use. These two files may be unplayable because they use a different encoding from all your others, perhaps Windows 10 doesn't have a codec for this particular one but Windows 8 did.

I would try FFmpeg, a free open source command line utility that can convert almost any video or audio file to almost any other format. It also comes with a command line player called FFplay. FFmpeg

It certainly supports the .au format, as I've just used it to create a .au file. To convert your .au files to .mp3 the command is (subtituting your own file names for 'input' and 'output'):

ffmpeg -i input.au output.mp3

13. KRLN Win User

thank you. I'll try this...

14. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 20, 2017
  15. KRLN Win User
    Attachment 154353Attachment 154353

Thema:

1. I need help loading a VLC file - Similar Threads - need help loading

2. i need help removing a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need help removing a file: it doesnt let me open or delete it, when i try to open it it pops up with "Windows cannot open the foler. Access to the Compressed zipped folder 'where its stored' is denied". and idk what to do, and ive tried going to properties and going to security and that doesnt work...
  3. i need help removing a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help removing a file: it doesnt let me open or delete it, when i try to open it it pops up with "Windows cannot open the foler. Access to the Compressed zipped folder 'where its stored' is denied". and idk what to do, and ive tried going to properties and going to security and that doesnt work...
  4. I need help with loading Minecraft java edition

I need help with loading Minecraft java edition: So, I bought minecraft java edition and tried playing it, after some loading an error popped up saying: I am on windows 11 Home.My proccesor is: IntelR CoreTM i5-9400T CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.80 GHzI have 8gb of ram. I have tried restarting my computer but that didn't work;I do not...
  5. I need help with loading Minecraft java edition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with loading Minecraft java edition: So, I bought minecraft java edition and tried playing it, after some loading an error popped up saying: I am on windows 11 Home.My proccesor is: IntelR CoreTM i5-9400T CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.80 GHzI have 8gb of ram. I have tried restarting my computer but that didn't work;I do not...
  6. i need help with file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i need help with file explorer: how do i fix this. everytime i press or select a file windows explorer takes a long time or never to done selecting the file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-with-file-explorer/bec67735-e07b-42d0-8e28-4d2546a16029
  7. i need help with changeing a file

i need help with changeing a file: hello i have Ben doing a lot of research with google chrome and Microsoft edge but no results where helpful. what i have Ben trying to do is change a .jar game file into a file i need to have it work on a console called game boy advance trying to get modified. the game i got...
  8. I need help with my files!!

I need help with my files!!: For some reason, whenever I open my files they show up like this. Please help me fix them!! They are photo's. Problem is I don't want the photo's icon there. I want to see the actual picture on the icon. [ATTACH]...
  9. I need help with my files.

I need help with my files.: For some reason, whenever I open my files they show up like this. Please help me fix them!![ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-with-my-files/07864f95-601e-4989-bfe9-884edc0f9c8f
  10. VLC Slow to Load?

VLC Slow to Load?: I find VLC 32 bit is very slow to load on my SSD based laptop after the AU. I've uninstalled/reinstalled VLC several times to no effect. Please advise how to troubleshoot /fix this problem. 62250