Windows 10: I need help to move data from C drive to new hdd.

Discus and support I need help to move data from C drive to new hdd. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I bought a new HDD and my old HDD is dying. So I want to move my C drive to a empty partition of new HDD so that my new HDD become my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Aladin656, Apr 10, 2021.

1. I need help to move data from C drive to new hdd.

Hey everyone, I bought a new HDD and my old HDD is dying. So I want to move my C drive to a empty partition of new HDD so that my new HDD become my boot drive. The problem is I don't know how to do that. I tried to use a software called minitool shadow maker but it wants to wipe my new HDD entirely. I can't wipe my new HDD entirely because I have some data in it. I have two partitions in my new HDD, one of those is empty. I want to move the c drive to that empty partition. So how can I do that?

submitted by /u/Aladin656
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Aladin656, Apr 10, 2021

2. Installing Windows on my new C drive

Current Situation: My C Disk is cramming up and I decided to change a new C disk.

Currently my computer storage is composed of an SSD (being my C disk) and an HDD. I bought a new SSD and desire to somehow transfer my current system into the new SSD along with the current environmental variables, user data, both program files folder, and
    various other folders instead of installing a brand new system on my new C drive.

Questions I am currently wondering:

1. I noticed the function provided by windows called "Create a system image". Currently my softwares are distributed evenly in my C drive (SSD) and D drive (HDD). I am not changing my HDD, so softwares installed there will not be removed. If I only choose
      to backup my system in my C drive, can I still run my softwares on my HDD after changing a C drive and reinstalling Windows using the generated ISO file?
    2. Does this function "create a system image" pack up the environmental variables, registry, along with all other folders in my C drive, or only the minimal system?
    3. If I extract the system image ISO into my new C drive, can I somehow "extract" from the ISO file to create a new system in my new drive? If not, is it possible to make my new C drive a windows Boot USB, and directly installing the windows system onto itself?
    4. What is your suggested method of making this move?

Thank you for your help!!

Power_tile, Apr 10, 2021
  3. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown I need help to move data from C drive to new hdd. :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Apr 10, 2021
  4. I need help to move data from C drive to new hdd.

Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

I need help to move data from C drive to new hdd.

1. I need help to move data from C drive to new hdd. - Similar Threads - need help move

2. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  3. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  4. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving data from VHD to HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving data from VHD to HDD: Hello everyone, So I have a Windows Image Backup that I cannot mount because "the disk image isn't initialized, contains partitions that aren't recognizable, or contains volumes that haven't been assigned drive letters. please use the disk management snap-in to make sure...
  6. Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd): [ATTACH] So i have an ssd with 447gb and a hdd with 595gb as shown below: https://preview.redd.it/z58f5igsmgs51.png?width=895&format=png&auto=webp&s=d648dbd5c143f4dd5909c761054dadddde1397e7 I want to move some files into hdd to have more space. But I've heard that it...
  7. Move data from ssd to hdd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move data from ssd to hdd?: I built my pc yesterday, installed everything and my 250gb ssd is already full. How can I move my files from the ssd to the hdd? Thanks a lot! Daten von ssd auf hdd verschieben?
  8. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.: I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the...
  9. Move data from C drive to D

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Move data from C drive to D: How to move a c drive that is full to the D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-data-from-c-drive-to-d/0df7a77f-dcac-4ec1-9d53-148f0565176e
  10. Moving Data to New Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Moving Data to New Drive: I bought a new laptop that had a 256GB SSD and added a 500GB HDD as the data drive. Now, on occasion, I'm hearing a slight metallic clicking sound. (I believe it may be the HDD) Not wanting to take the chance of losing a bunch of data, I want to move it to another HDD that I...