Windows 10: I need help turning on Windows Defender in 8.1

Discus and support I need help turning on Windows Defender in 8.1 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I recently removed my Kaspersky Anti Virus using the removal tool. I then restarted my computer and still cannot get Defender to work. I keep... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JenS1974, May 3, 2019.

1. JenS1974 Win User

I need help turning on Windows Defender in 8.1

Hello. I recently removed my Kaspersky Anti Virus using the removal tool. I then restarted my computer and still cannot get Defender to work. I keep getting error message "The app has been turned off and needs to be turned on". I went to the Action center and tried to turn on Defender, but keep getting the same error message. Does anyone have any ideas? I have searched the computer and cannot find any trace of any anti virus program installed. Thanks for your help.

:)

JenS1974, May 3, 2019
  2. Borg 386 Win User

windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, May 3, 2019
  3. How to turn on Windows defender in Windows 10

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

Windows Defender is the default real-time (always on) protection program in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

If there are any third party security software installed, then Windows Defender will get disabled automatically.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it help:

• Open Settings by either clicking on the Settings icon on the Start menu or simultaneously pressing Windows and I keys.

• Click on Update & Security.

• Click on Windows Defender, and on the left right side, turn on.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, May 3, 2019
  4. I need help turning on Windows Defender in 8.1

Unable to turn off Windows Defender

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are unable to turn off windows defender.

I suggest you try restarting Windows Defender service and check if issue is resolved. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and type services.msc,
      hit enter.
    • Search Windows Defender Service.:1) Windows Defender Service ; 2)
      Windows Defender Network.
    • Right click on each and press Start.
    • Restart your computer and check if issue persist.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, May 3, 2019
Thema:

I need help turning on Windows Defender in 8.1

1. I need help turning on Windows Defender in 8.1 - Similar Threads - need help turning

2. Need help for Windows 8 activate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help for Windows 8 activate: How can i get password user for windows 8 activate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-for-windows-8-activate/ab20fe9c-d580-4b4b-8f30-1d9850351a23
  3. Need help for Windows 8 activate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help for Windows 8 activate: How can i get password user for windows 8 activate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-for-windows-8-activate/ab20fe9c-d580-4b4b-8f30-1d9850351a23
  4. Windows Defender Glitch - Need Help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Glitch - Need Help: Hi, I downloaded a program off the internet, and scanned it with VirusTotal first, finding out that it was a virus, so I deleted it completely including emptying the recycling bin. Although, I found out a few minutes later that Windows Defender detected it before I deleted...
  5. I need help, I want to uninstall Windows defender

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need help, I want to uninstall Windows defender: I need help, I want to uninstall Windows Defender, which you could recommend. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-i-want-to-uninstall-windows-defender/de8da0e9-5921-44ab-940b-f9864a569bbf
  6. windows Defender for Windows 8

windows Defender for Windows 8: windows defender has been disabled on my WINDOWS 8 laptop. I DO NOT WANT TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10. how can i re-install Windows Defender on my WINDOWS 8 laptop? [Moderator Edit: Moved from: Windows \ Windows 8 \ Security & Privacy \ Security and Privacy]...
  7. Windows Defender 8(8/8.1) vs Windows Defender 10

Windows Defender 8(8/8.1) vs Windows Defender 10: Can you please let me know the various endpoint security features offered via windows defender 8 and windows defender 10. I also heard MS is offering ATP support on Windows 8 , so if that is the case, I can buy some time to migrate to windows 10 and still purchase ATP ?...
  8. how can i turn off windows defender on windows 8

how can i turn off windows defender on windows 8: sir how can i turn off windows defender on windows 8 <Moved from Windows Insider forum> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-can-i-turn-off-windows-defender-on-windows-8/3882bdfa-d99e-42d8-a5a1-121cdb7bf839
  9. Need help disabling Windows Defender

Need help disabling Windows Defender: Hey, I'm trying to disable my Windows Defender but it won't let me disable them. This is the menu I'm in: https://i.imgur.com/ERXwW0V.png . Whenever I click one of the sliders to turn it off, the slider will turn off, and then it will give me a pop up asking me if I want...
  10. Windows 8 Problem - Need help

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 8 Problem - Need help: I can no longer sign-in to Windows 8 (that's why I'm posting here on Windows 10. I need help to get Windows 8 again. Thank you. 55247