Windows 10: I need help with my disk and SSD.

Discus and support I need help with my disk and SSD. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hello everyone, Recently I upgraded to an SSD. The SSD installation and windows installation on it was done by a service person in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Doctor_Deceptive, Sep 4, 2020.

1. I need help with my disk and SSD.

I need help with my disk and SSD. dktoGpiTeok1A7JBsR3v99gPZsiERLEJPShxBoj3ruw.jpg

Hello everyone,
    Recently I upgraded to an SSD. The SSD installation and windows installation on it was done by a service person in my locality.
    I had 1TB HDD which is now installed in CD drive for extra storage..

now... here is where I need help,

The hard drive had a windows installation in a partition which it used to boot from. but now that I have a new windows installation on my SSD, is it okay if I delete all the windows files from my old HDD.

I have heard that windows stores some dependencies and its (windows') files on other file systems.

this one might be a bit dumb, but I wanna double-check cuz I can't afford to play with the windows files.

I am attaching a ss of disk management. Disk 1 is HDD and 0 is SSD.

https://preview.redd.it/30a8tzvp42l...bp&s=9af1280e46fbca03cff014663c36400dc1a6d4d0

submitted by /u/Doctor_Deceptive
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Doctor_Deceptive, Sep 4, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Transfer System disk image to SSD

Here's my suggestion: Connect the SSD to the PC.

1. Download: Macrium Reflect Free and install then run.
      IMPORTANT: click on the 1st icon on the top left to create a Macrium Rescue disk (using USB or DVD)
    2. Open Disk Management and make sure the SSD is disk 1.
      From Admin Command, type:
      diskpart
      select disk 1
      clean
      exit
      exit
    3. From Macrium, The disk with Windows currently running will have the partitions as shown in your screen shot above. Click on Clone this disk...
      A Windows popup, click on select a disk to clone to...
      Click on the SSD
    4. Select the 100MB "System Reserved", drag and drop to the destination (SSD)
    5. Select the 60GB "C Drive", drag and drop to the destination(SSD) next to the System Reserved
    6. Click Next->Finish
    7. Once done, shutdown, disconnect the HD and connect the SSD Only
    8. Boot up with the Macrium Rescue disk created in step 1.
    9. Once booted, click on "Fix Windows boot problems" and follow the instruction to complete.
    10. Remove the Rescue disk and reboot.

topgundcp, Sep 4, 2020
  3. SSD not being shown in disk management

Western Digital got back to me and this solved my problem:

Thank you for your continued response.

Please perform the steps mentioned below to run Diskpart. Please note that following steps will erase all the data on the SSD including partitions and boot sector.

1. Open Command Prompt, Click on Start - Run - Type cmd and hit Enter.

2. Type diskpart, and then press ENTER to open the diskpart tool.

3. Type list disk, and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed.

4. Type sel disk #number, and then press ENTER. Number is the number of the hard disk that you want to clean. The hard disk is now selected.

5. Type det disk, and then press ENTER. A list of partitions on the hard disk is displayed. Use this information to verify that the correct disk is selected.

6. Make sure that the disk does not contain required data, type clean all, and then press ENTER to clean the disk. All the partitions and all the data on the disk is permanently removed.

7. Type exit, and then press ENTER to close

FLY LIK A MUG, Sep 4, 2020
  4. I need help with my disk and SSD.

Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Sep 4, 2020
Thema:

I need help with my disk and SSD.

1. I need help with my disk and SSD. - Similar Threads - need help disk

2. Need help for disk conversation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help for disk conversation: Hello Sir i have a 500 gb hard disk in my laptop i converted the hard disk into GPT and made two partitions with a partition assistant 3rd party software, and installed two windows windows 10 and windows 11in both partitions with dual boot, But when I'm using the EasyBCD...
  3. Need help for disk conversation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help for disk conversation: Hello Sir i have a 500 gb hard disk in my laptop i converted the hard disk into GPT and made two partitions with a partition assistant 3rd party software, and installed two windows windows 10 and windows 11in both partitions with dual boot, But when I'm using the EasyBCD...
  4. My SSD partitions are in two separate disks, I need help merging them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD partitions are in two separate disks, I need help merging them.: I wanted to assign more space to my C drive which is in Disk 2 but apparently, the rest of the SSD drive's unallocated space is in Disk 0. I've tried a few methods but with no success. Is there any possible way I could achieve this?...
  5. My SSD partitions are in two separate disks, I need help merging them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD partitions are in two separate disks, I need help merging them.: I wanted to assign more space to my C drive which is in Disk 2 but apparently, the rest of the SSD drive's unallocated space is in Disk 0. I've tried a few methods but with no success. Is there any possible way I could achieve this?...
  6. need help with corrupt ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    need help with corrupt ssd: I just bought a brand new m.2 and installed it on my mobo. I messed around with it and now I can't access it . when I load up disk manager and try to initialized the disk it says a device does not exist and it also says its unknown Disk 1. submitted by /u/No-Piccolo9279...
  7. Disk and partition help needed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk and partition help needed: [ATTACH] How to combine the disk 0 back to disk 1? I have one 512 Gb ssd which i somehow split into two disks by accident. How do I get the 27 Gb unallocated space back to my 512 gb disk? Please help...
  8. Need help with SSD and TRIM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help with SSD and TRIM: I've read this tutorial here: Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10 | Tutorials. After checking my SSD according to the tutorial, I had this: [img] Yesterday I installed O&O Defrag Professional Edition 23, which I got from a giveaway...
  9. 100% Disk help needed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk help needed: So, my task manager shows that the dis is 100% and is decreasing my performance. In my Task manager, i see: 1. User host font driver consuming my memory and disk 2 system And some more NOTE: I TRIED ALL PROCESSES LIKE. DISABLING SOME THINGS AND ALL. Tried virtual memory...
  10. Trying to partition my SSD and need help...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to partition my SSD and need help...: Hey, I'm trying to create a new partition on my drive, but when I try to shrink the drive in disk management it says I can only have a maximum of 6000 odd mb yet I have 150gb of free space and when I try on minitool there isn't even an option to create a new partition. I...