Windows 10: I need permission to modify or edit /System32 even though I am Admin

Discus and support I need permission to modify or edit /System32 even though I am Admin in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For some infuriating reason, I cannot edit or modify the /System32 folder on my PC. I am an admin, and I even created an entirely new user with admin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RazzleberryJam, Jun 6, 2019.

1. I need permission to modify or edit /System32 even though I am Admin

For some infuriating reason, I cannot edit or modify the /System32 folder on my PC. I am an admin, and I even created an entirely new user with admin permissions. I need to replace msvcp120.dll with a new copy because an installer for a game that I am trying to install but when I run the installer, says that msvcp120.dll is missing even though when I look in /System32 its there. This has never happened to me before but the only recent changes I made to my PC is having my drivers updated using AMD's auto driver update program.

I am pretty sure that this issue is related to me and not the game's installer itself, so if anyone can, please help me out.

Thanks.

:)

RazzleberryJam, Jun 6, 2019

2. Nobody in group or user names haves permission to modify system32

Hello Robert,

We realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with System32 files. We will certainly help you.

In this case you need to enable the build in administrator account and then check the permissions fro all the users on System32 files. Follow the steps below to enable build in administrator account.

1. Right click on the Start menu and select
    Command Prompt (Admin).

2. On the command line type: net user administrator /activate:yes
    and hit Enter on your keyboard.

This will enable your build in Administrator account. Restart your computer and login with the administrator account. Once you are in the Build in administrator account you can check the permissions for the other user profiles
    by right click on System32 file and select properties and then check for the permissions.

Once you have successfully given permission for other user profiles,
    disable the Build in administrator account by following steps given below:

1. Right click on the start menu and select Command prompt (admin).

2. On the command line type: net user administrator /activate:no
    and hit Enter on your keyboard.

This will disable the build in administrator account.

Let us know the result. We will be happy to assists you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jun 6, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Editing permissions

Hi ejmw,

Issues that you experience when you try to access files and folders may be related to permissions. Permissions are rules that determine whether you can access or change files and folders. To check permissions on a file or a folder, follow these steps:

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Tap or click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps:

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties
    • Tap or click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.
    • Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Important: You must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Jun 6, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

I need permission to modify or edit /System32 even though I am Admin

Undeletable Folder Icon in File Explorer

Are you running as a standard or admin user?
    I run as admin (tho' that's not recommended for security reasons but many do of course).
    If as standard, try running as admin.

Or you might try running O&O regedit as admin.

Otherwise, suggests a permissions problem.

To have that many registry entries left after running Revo begins to suggest maybe Revo hasn't got permission access to delete them.

Also try my suggestion with Revo Pro (trial).

Having made backups, you could try Tweaking.com's repair tool, observing its cautious steps and selecting ONLY the appropriate permissions repair.

I would suggest you first make a screenshot of a registry key you can't modify/edit/delete, then run the tool, then try the same operation and see if there's any change.

dalchina, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

I need permission to modify or edit /System32 even though I am Admin

1. I need permission to modify or edit /System32 even though I am Admin - Similar Threads - need permission modify

2. Admin permission prompt box not showing, cannot modify admin folders as a result

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin permission prompt box not showing, cannot modify admin folders as a result: Hi, I've had this issue for a while (>6 months) but never took the time to ask here, it's a pretty strange issue. Problem: Whenever I try to modify a directory that requires admin privileges using the explorer, nothing happens... For example : If I try to move a file...
  3. not connected -connections available: even though I am actually connected.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not connected -connections available: even though I am actually connected.: Hello All, I am connected and I am posing this message from the laptop that is showing this message. This has been going on for weeks now. So I thought it was just a cosmetic problem so I ignored it. Now suddenly my apps such as MS Word started to complain that my...
  4. My Computer Sleeps even though I told it not to

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My Computer Sleeps even though I told it not to: Hello everyone. I have a problem concerning my laptop sleeping. In my power options, I have set it not to sleep, when charging or not. But when I ask it to sleep manually, every time I open it and leave it idle, it sleeps. The problem goes away when I restart my laptop but...
  5. Can't uninstall, install programs or even edit/modify

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't uninstall, install programs or even edit/modify: So I went to go uninstall a program and I got the error that I wasn't administrator so I switched users and still got the problem so I thought I have had this type of problem before and the next windows update fixes it, so I still haven't tried the update yet, but I get this...
  6. Why can't I run any programs as admin even though I am the admin!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why can't I run any programs as admin even though I am the admin!!!: When I logged on to my computer I went to go run task manager for something and nothing happened. I thought it was weird so I tried to run device manager so see if that would launch and still nothing. I then began to launch other programs and those all ran normally but when...
  7. Told to contact admin - but i am admin!

in Windows 10 Support
    Told to contact admin - but i am admin!: I wanted to save a txt file to C: and got told I didn't have permission to save in that location: contact admin. But I have admin, am an administrator. How does all that work? p.s. sharing is enabled. Administrators have full control. 114054
  8. Permissions Issues Even As Admin on a Domain

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions Issues Even As Admin on a Domain: I have a newly built W10 machine and I'm having issues when try to copy/paste a file in a Program Files folder or to the Windows folder, just as as examples. Although I'm not the owner of the drive, TrustedInstaller is, I've never had these issues before, especially as a user...
  9. Can't remove folder even though I am the owner of it?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't remove folder even though I am the owner of it?: Hi I am trying to delete Riot Games from my computer but it wont let me even though I have taken ownership of the file.. It says that I need authorization from the user im currently logged into to make changes to the folder? :/ 87618
  10. Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to run certain apps even though I am an administrator: I am having problems running some apps in my laptop. This happens when I install apps to my C://Users// folder. I don't see any problems during the install. For example, I installed the Eclipse IDE, however some features didn't work because of access being denied. I managed...