Windows 10: I need permission to write on a network drive even though I am the administrator.

Discus and support I need permission to write on a network drive even though I am the administrator. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Let me explain everything in as much detail as possible. I apologize, I am not super technical so I don't know which details are germane and which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SKM12345, Oct 15, 2020.

1. SKM12345 Win User

I need permission to write on a network drive even though I am the administrator.

Let me explain everything in as much detail as possible. I apologize, I am not super technical so I don't know which details are germane and which aren't.

I am trying to use a seagate desktop HDD plugged into the USB port of my Arris SBG7400AC2 modem as a network drive to store all of my media across my network.

I have enabled file sharing through my modem, but when I try to access the drive from my PC running Windows 10 Home through the network folder by typing the IP address of the drive into the windows explorer path, I get an error that Windows can't find it.

To work around this, I went to "This PC" and clicked "Add a network location" -> "Choose a custom network location" and then typed in the IP address manually. I was then asked to name the new network location, so I named it "Media Center". In 'This PC" under Network Locations, a new folder popped up named Media Center. This is all the files on the HDD, so that’s lovely.

I'm planning on housing my media library on the drive and I use plex to watch my stuff. In order to use the drive for plex, I had to map the drive. I opened the Media Center folder under the network locations in this PC and copied the drive location, then went to "This PC" and clicked "map network drive" picked the drive letter, entered the media center folder location I just copied. Once all that was done, I got a new drive under network locations called “A:”

I can access all of my files that are saved on the external HDD and it even works through Plex. So all of that is the good news

The problem I’m having:

I cannot write new files to the drive. I get an error saying “you need permission to perform this action”

I am the administrator. I am the only user. When I enabled file transfer through the modem, I selected all users as having permission to network drives. I have turned on file and printer sharing for private, public, guest and all networks under windows advance sharing options.

I have read many forums that said I should right click on the network drive, select properties, and then under the security tab, change the permissions. But I don’t have a security tab. When I right click on the drive and select properties, the only tabs are “General” “Previous Versions” and “Customize.” Completely useless.

I have read that there are two ways to get the security tab onto properties. The first is to use Local Group Policy Editor. But I have windows 10 home, which does not and cannot have Local Group Policy Editor. The other way is to edit the registry using registry editor. The registry to edit is “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer” unfortunately, I do not have the Explorer folder. So that is useless to me as well. Basically everything I’ve read about to help solve the problem is either not working or not workable on my version of windows.

Please help. Please help this make sense.

:)

SKM12345, Oct 15, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Network Administrator

General info --> Network administrator

You may be better off looking at the job descriptions for some of the businesses you wish to do the job for; as, some companies have varying duties and requirements.

This is a sample at Monster.com:
    Spoiler
    This is another sample from America's Job Exchange:

Spoiler

95Viper, Oct 15, 2020
  3. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Oct 15, 2020
  4. Marby Rey Win User

I need permission to write on a network drive even though I am the administrator.

no administrator permission

Hi Ryan,

Let us assist you to have an Administrator permission. To start, follow the steps below to enable the Windows Super Administrator Account.

• Type CMD on the search box.
    • CMD will appear at top.
    • Right click on it, then choose Run as administrator.
    • Type this command & hit Enter: Net user administrator /active:yes.
    • After you enable the Super Administrator account, log out on your existing account then log into Super Administrator account.
    • On the Super Administrator account, you can now create an Administrator account or give Administrator permission on the existing account.

After you created an Administrator account, we suggest that you disable the Super Administrator account by following the same steps and using this command:
    Net user administrator /active:no.

Let us know how it goes.

Marby Rey, Oct 15, 2020
Thema:

1. I need permission to write on a network drive even though I am the administrator. - Similar Threads - need permission write

2. File or Folder Permissions are greyed out even though I am logged into Administrator on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File or Folder Permissions are greyed out even though I am logged into Administrator on...: In Reply to davidhomerVZ: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-or-folder-permissions-are-greyed-out-even/655b059e-3a28-46dc-a73b-eef17def8123
  3. File or Folder Permissions are greyed out even though I am logged into Administrator on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File or Folder Permissions are greyed out even though I am logged into Administrator on...: In Reply to davidhomerVZ: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-or-folder-permissions-are-greyed-out-even/655b059e-3a28-46dc-a73b-eef17def8123
  4. File or Folder Permissions are greyed out even though I am logged into Administrator on...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not delete files even though I am the Administrator!!: I have a relatively new HP laptop with Windows 11 64 bit and I cannot turn on Memory Integrity because of several Logitech .sys files. When I try to delete those files per Microsoft instructions, I get a message saying that I must have Administrator Permission, but I AM the...
  6. "You’ll Need to Provide Administrator Permission to..." messages even though I am the Admin.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "You’ll Need to Provide Administrator Permission to..." messages even though I am the Admin.: I've transferred a hard drive (storage drive - no OS there) from my old computer to the new one and every time I try to rename a file or create a new one I keep getting "You’ll Need to Provide Administrator Permission to..." messages. It looks like a permissions issue, going...
  7. Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator

Can't write on Program Files even though I am the Administrator: Okay. First of all, I know that Windows changed it that way. I've read the answers tothis thread and tried them already and the options were greyed out on both occasions. I am asking this because I've installed an old game to that directory and it keeps crashing. I'm guessing...
  8. Cannot change region because "I need the computer administrator" even though I am the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot change region because "I need the computer administrator" even though I am the...: Hello. I recently sent my computer off to Dell to get my camera fixed and when it came back, some of the settings were messed up. When I sent it off to Dell, I created a new user for them to use that had administrator capabilities. Unfortunately, I deleted it before I...
  9. Blocked apps even though I am administrator

Blocked apps even though I am administrator: When I try to open different things such as a Samsung USB driver a window pops up saying "This app has been blocked for your protection" I have given myself administrator as well as making a new user and giving that one administrator too but the same thing happens....
  10. I need permission to modify or edit /System32 even though I am Admin

in Windows 10 Support
    I need permission to modify or edit /System32 even though I am Admin: For some infuriating reason, I cannot edit or modify the /System32 folder on my PC. I am an admin, and I even created an entirely new user with admin permissions. I need to replace msvcp120.dll with a new copy because an installer for a game that I am trying to install but...