Windows 10: I need some clarification about digital licenses and reactivation.

Discus and support I need some clarification about digital licenses and reactivation. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm looking to wipe my Win10 installation but would like to have the option to reinstall it in the future if necessary. I've checked this sub-Reddit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BudoBaka, Mar 11, 2020.

1. I need some clarification about digital licenses and reactivation.

I'm looking to wipe my Win10 installation but would like to have the option to reinstall it in the future if necessary. I've checked this sub-Reddit and Google to try to find detailed info about the Win10 digital licenses but aside from the very general responses of "Yes. It is easy to reactivate because MS tracks the hardware" I can't find anything more granular than that. Can someone clarify how this is being done?

I've seen references to the license being stored in the BIOS in some way. I've also seen comments that they are somehow creating a hash of the hardware signature. The only specific info I was able to find on the MS Answers forum is that it isn't on the hard drive so it is safe to wipe or replace that.

I've exported my license from the registry to be safe but my concern is that I also have seen indications that one must sign in with an MS account on the Win10 box to associate that license with the account. This is something that I refuse to do and, excuse the rant, I am quite tired of MS constantly trying to force users into their ecosystem by only making certain "features" available in Win10 if one uses an account.

submitted by /u/BudoBaka
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BudoBaka, Mar 11, 2020

2. Digital license

Thats how licensing works with Windows 10, the digital license is attached to your Microsoft Account and makes it easy to reactivate Windows 10 in the event you reinstall it.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Mar 11, 2020
  3. Digital license won't reactivate on new hardware (motherboard, cpu ram)

Hello,

I have a digital license of Windows 10 that is linked to my Windows account. I've just replaced my motherboard, cpu and ram and whenever I attempt to reactivate my license the activation troubleshoot says "Unable to activate Windows, We can't reactivate Windows
    on this device, Try again later.

Prior to changing my hardware I double checked my digital license, The activation said "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

If I run 'winver' It also lists the produced is licensed to my Microsoft account.

According to this article below, All I should have to do is goto the activation troubleshooter and everything should work.

Article Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

What are my next steps?

Thanks.

JonathanTC92, Mar 11, 2020
  4. Raner Win User

I need some clarification about digital licenses and reactivation.

Need Clarification on Windows 10 Digital Licence...

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 using the free upgrade.
    Windows 10 on both of my machines have the this license.

I need some clarification about digital licenses and reactivation. [​IMG]

If I upgrade, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Video Card, Will windows 10 reactivate or am I going to have to buy a new license key...Thanks...

Raner, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

I need some clarification about digital licenses and reactivation.

1. I need some clarification about digital licenses and reactivation. - Similar Threads - need clarification digital

2. Reactivating windows with a digital license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating windows with a digital license: Hello, some time ago I created a Microsoft account and attached it to my laptop. Fortunately, I noticed that my windows was automatically activated. I recently bought a new computer, I installed windows on it, I connected to the same microsoft account as the one on the...
  3. Reactivating windows with a digital license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating windows with a digital license: Hello, some time ago I created a Microsoft account and attached it to my laptop. Fortunately, I noticed that my windows was automatically activated. I recently bought a new computer, I installed windows on it, I connected to the same microsoft account as the one on the...
  4. Reactivating windows with a digital license

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. About digital license.

About digital license.: I've got a digital license for windows 10 for fully free! I got it by troubleshooting. After this activation with the troubleshooter at activation in settings, I never had to activate my windows again. Even I don't know what is my activation key? When I saw it, I was totally...
  6. About Digital License

About Digital License: So i have linked my windows 10 with my microsoft account. But I want to reinstall the windows 10 on same hardware so for that i want to see which version of windows 10 is linked to my account Pro, Home, Education, Enterprise? how should I know which one is linked to mine?...
  7. Digital Windows 10 license? "Reactivate"?

Digital Windows 10 license? "Reactivate"?: Hey, I wanted to ask how it is with digital licenses of Windows 10. On my account I have an active license. Now I want to use a new system. Do I have to "deactivate" Windows 10 on my old computer to make it run on the new one? Digitale Windows 10 Lizenz? "Reaktivieren"?
  8. Need some clarification about WSUS server

Need some clarification about WSUS server: After reading lots of articles I need still clarification about some basic facts: At first: There is a "normal" built-in Windows Updates service available in ALL Win10 versions. Beside this "basic" update mechanism there is a so called "WSUS" service. This is a separate...
  9. Need some clarification about WSUS server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need some clarification about WSUS server: After reading lots of articles I need still clarification about some basic facts: At first: There is a "normal" built-in Windows Updates service available in ALL Win10 versions. Beside this "basic" update mechanism there is a so called "WSUS" service. This is a separate...
  10. Need Clarification on Windows 10 Digital Licence...

Need Clarification on Windows 10 Digital Licence...: I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 using the free upgrade. Windows 10 on both of my machines have the this license. [img] If I upgrade, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Video Card, Will windows 10 reactivate or am I going to have to buy a new license key...Thanks......