Windows 10: I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have...

Discus and support I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; hey, I recently lost access to my computer because I had used the wrong pin a lot of times. I usually used the facial id but when it wasn't working... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Angel Adetula, Apr 13, 2023.

1. I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have...

hey, I recently lost access to my computer because I had used the wrong pin a lot of times. I usually used the facial id but when it wasn't working yesterday, I tried to sign in with my pin which I realized I had gotten wrong all along. I can no longer use my facial id as the laptop would now only accept pin. So I need my bitlocker to sign in to my laptop secure mode, but it is taking so long to retrieve it from my "account/devices" section.

:)

Angel Adetula, Apr 13, 2023
  2. darobins Win User

Security Device Not Recognized

Ob build 10527:

On my login screen I had 4 icons:

• Password
    • Security Device
    • Security Device
    • PIN
    The Security Device (#2) when clicked shows "Security Device Not Recognized". It also shows up as the default. The other Security Device (#3) is a Virtual Smart Card and it functions correctly. As does the Password and PIN.

I used Tpmvscmgr to destroy the virtual smart card instance #0, and I further attempted to destroy any other instances but none existed.

Now I have:

• Password
    • Security Device
    • PIN
    The Security Device #2 still has the same error.

In Device Manager I only have 1 Security Device, TPM 2.0, which is functioning correctly (Bitlocker etc).

How do I remove or repair this bad security device on my sign-in screen?

darobins, Apr 13, 2023
  3. cereberus Win User
    Both Device Encryption and Bitlocker on?? How to turn both off??

Nah - just an AskWoody commenter who knows diddly squat.

cereberus, Apr 13, 2023
  4. glnz Win User

I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have...

Both Device Encryption and Bitlocker on?? How to turn both off??

--

All here - thanks for your very fast responses to my post at top.

I have done something a bit different, as suggested over at AskWoody, with very good results. (At Topic: Why is Bitlocker waiting for Activation? @ AskWoody.)

First, I made a Macrium Reflect differential backup of one of the PCs -- the Precision 3660.

Then, I went to Settings - Update & Security - Device Encryption at bottom left, and hit “Turn Off” in the right panel for the encryption. (<-- Corrected to Device Encryption in edit.)

The machine took a bit of time to decrypt. and I rebooted.

I now have very good results:
    1. Update & Security no longer has Device Encryption (<-- corrected) on the left.
    2. Control Panel – Bitlocker indicates that Bitlocker is OFF. It no longer says it is waiting for activation.
    3. Our staffer’s files — in her User account on the PC — appear to be perfectly OK. As it turns out, they had been moved to OneDrive so I’m not 100% sure that all files actually on the PC are OK, but I don’t see any issues.
    4. I have rebooted a few times and looked at Event Viewer, and so far everything seems OK.
    5. Also, Paul Black's suggested "manage-bde -status" shows that Bitlocker is indeed off.
    These good results make me think that Update & Security – Device Encryption (<-- corrected) is indeed the same as Bitlocker, or very highly linked. I think that maybe the WindowsClub article I cited above is wrong or incomplete.

Any further thoughts?

EDIT - Over at AskWoody, a commentator noted that my Update & Security - Device Encryption disappeared, and he was surprised. Should it NOT have disappeared? Have I lost something here?

Thema:

I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have...

1. I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have... - Similar Threads - need bitlocker device

2. I need BitLocker Key to start my laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need BitLocker Key to start my laptop.: Hi,I followed a link to find out BitLocker Key but it says I don’t have it.I have recovery key ID. I can send you ID if you nares.Can you send me recovery key?...
  3. I need BitLocker Key to start my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need BitLocker Key to start my laptop.: Hi,I followed a link to find out BitLocker Key but it says I don’t have it.I have recovery key ID. I can send you ID if you nares.Can you send me recovery key?...
  4. I need BitLocker Key to start my laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have...: hey, I recently lost access to my computer because I had used the wrong pin a lot of times. I usually used the facial id but when it wasn't working yesterday, I tried to sign in with my pin which I realized I had gotten wrong all along. I can no longer use my facial id as the...
  6. I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have...

I need the bitlocker for my device to sign into secure mode of my laptop as I have...: hey, I recently lost access to my computer because I had used the wrong pin a lot of times. I usually used the facial id but when it wasn't working yesterday, I tried to sign in with my pin which I realized I had gotten wrong all along. I can no longer use my facial id as the...
  7. I want to sign into my laptop with a different Microsoft account that I have. I have signed...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I want to sign into my laptop with a different Microsoft account that I have. I have signed...: Cannot attach screenshot without violating my anonymity. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-sign-into-my-laptop-with-a-different/47fe8666-d142-4ead-b46a-d7b9c4d271b8
  8. I want to sign into my laptop with a different Microsoft account that I have. I have signed...

I want to sign into my laptop with a different Microsoft account that I have. I have signed...: Cannot attach screenshot without violating my anonymity. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-sign-into-my-laptop-with-a-different/47fe8666-d142-4ead-b46a-d7b9c4d271b8
  9. I need to sign into my laptop but there's an issue with my security info

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to sign into my laptop but there's an issue with my security info: Recently I updated to windows 11 and upon signing in the security settings changed dunno of it was automatic or I somehow hit a button somewhere so I had to reset my pin. The issue was, my security info was outdated and I needed to update it. Once I did, it said I was...
  10. I need to sign into my laptop but there's an issue with my security info

I need to sign into my laptop but there's an issue with my security info: Recently I updated to windows 11 and upon signing in the security settings changed dunno of it was automatic or I somehow hit a button somewhere so I had to reset my pin. The issue was, my security info was outdated and I needed to update it. Once I did, it said I was...