Windows 10: I need to change my users folder name. It has an _ at the end which I dont like

Discus and support I need to change my users folder name. It has an _ at the end which I dont like in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I need to change my users folder name. It has an _ at the end which I don't like, I want to remove that. The posts here are older and I don have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by yasi_ss, Dec 5, 2020.

1. yasi_ss Win User

I need to change my users folder name. It has an _ at the end which I dont like

Hi

I need to change my users folder name. It has an _ at the end which I don't like, I want to remove that.

The posts here are older and I don have local accounts in computer management anymore.

Can you show me step by step how to do so?

Thanks

:)

yasi_ss, Dec 5, 2020
  2. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Dec 5, 2020
  3. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 5, 2020
  4. DSD
    DSD Win User

Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

Thema:

1. I need to change my users folder name. It has an _ at the end which I dont like - Similar Threads - need change users

2. I need to change the name of my User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to change the name of my User: I need to change this address C:\Users\AðalheiðurIt has Icelandic letters in it that a program I have on my computer and use everyday can't work with. How can I change it without having to make a new User? I want to use the same one, but with a different name. I have tried...
  3. I need to change the name of my User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to change the name of my User: I need to change this address C:\Users\AðalheiðurIt has Icelandic letters in it that a program I have on my computer and use everyday can't work with. How can I change it without having to make a new User? I want to use the same one, but with a different name. I have tried...
  4. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...: Tried to change "User" name in C:\Users\User to match with my account name. But it ended up creating two folders in C:\Users like "User" and "Rahul reddy" folder name that I tried changing name to splitting files between both folders. I tried to restore my device multiple...
  5. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...

Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...: Tried to change "User" name in C:\Users\User to match with my account name. But it ended up creating two folders in C:\Users like "User" and "Rahul reddy" folder name that I tried changing name to splitting files between both folders. I tried to restore my device multiple...
  6. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to match account name which ended up creating two...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...: Tried to change "User" name in C:\Users\User to match with my account name. But it ended up creating two folders in C:\Users like "User" and "Rahul reddy" folder name that I tried changing name to splitting files between both folders. I tried to restore my device multiple...
  8. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...: Tried to change "User" name in C:\Users\User to match with my account name. But it ended up creating two folders in C:\Users like "User" and "Rahul reddy" folder name that I tried changing name to splitting files between both folders. I tried to restore my device multiple...
  9. Tried to change C:\Users\User folder name to account name which ended up creating two user...

10. I changed my user folder name

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I changed my user folder name: I thought I hadn't changed any important file names but when I try to open my explorer folder i get "no mapping between account names and security ids" I was trying a method that included typing "RSOP.msc " into the run but then it said "windows cannot find rsop.msc...