Windows 10: I need to clean install W10 on my PC this weekend. I was wondering, is there any legit way...

Discus and support I need to clean install W10 on my PC this weekend. I was wondering, is there any legit way... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Thanks! submitted by /u/mhadr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j6x3mg/i_need_to_clean_install_w10_on_my_pc_this_weekend/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mhadr, Oct 7, 2020.

1. /u/mhadr Win User

I need to clean install W10 on my PC this weekend. I was wondering, is there any legit way...

/u/mhadr, Oct 7, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Oct 7, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

Kari, Oct 7, 2020
  4. MWombat Win User

I need to clean install W10 on my PC this weekend. I was wondering, is there any legit way...

Advice Please on Clean Install of W10

Hello All, my first forum post.
    The time is fast approaching when I will upgrade from W7 to W10.
    My W7 Pro is a legitimate copy.
    I want to do a clean instal rather than the 'upgrade.
    Currently I have 3 SSDs - SSD1 is W7 OS only, the remaining 2 SSDs contain various personal files.
    I would be keen to install W10 on SSD1 and totally replace W7 ie no dual boot.
    I understand of course that I will need to purchase W10 key etc.
    Could someone please help with what the best way is to do this and if possible list the detailed steps involved - although I am sure somewhere in the forum this has been addressed before I cant find exactly what I need.
    Thanks,

MWombat, Oct 7, 2020
Thema:

1. I need to clean install W10 on my PC this weekend. I was wondering, is there any legit way... - Similar Threads - need clean install

2. I wonder if there is any way to automaticly detect if pc is hacked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I wonder if there is any way to automaticly detect if pc is hacked: I am sorry if this question has already been asked or if it is dumb I wanna know if i can automate hacking detection on laptop either on the whole laptop or webcam and microphoneI run windows 10 on a 2014 laptopI did a full new instalation of windows All my pasword in all...
  3. I wonder if there is any way to automaticly detect if pc is hacked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I wonder if there is any way to automaticly detect if pc is hacked: I am sorry if this question has already been asked or if it is dumb I wanna know if i can automate hacking detection on laptop either on the whole laptop or webcam and microphoneI run windows 10 on a 2014 laptopI did a full new instalation of windows All my pasword in all...
  4. I wonder if there is any way to automaticly detect if pc is hacked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. I need windows for my pc that I just built and I was wondering can I install windows on a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need windows for my pc that I just built and I was wondering can I install windows on a...: I just built a pc and I don’t have another laptop or pc to install windows on a flash drive so I was wondering could I install windows on a flash drive using my phone instead of a pc...
  6. I need windows for my pc that I just built and I was wondering can I install windows on a...

I need windows for my pc that I just built and I was wondering can I install windows on a...: I just built a pc and I don’t have another laptop or pc to install windows on a flash drive so I was wondering could I install windows on a flash drive using my phone instead of a pc...
  7. I need windows for my pc that I just built and I was wondering can I install windows on a...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. I got Minecraft on my Xbox I was wondering is there a way to play it on my pc. The game is...

I got Minecraft on my Xbox I was wondering is there a way to play it on my pc. The game is...: Want to play Minecraft on pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-minecraft-on-my-xbox-i-was-wondering-is/3a4f71b7-4f81-4288-8f82-2721b5b53677
  9. Hello! I just built a PC this weekend and need help installing windows.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hello! I just built a PC this weekend and need help installing windows.: I did the install windows to a usb method so during boot up it would load to that but upon boot up it says error loading operating system. I downloaded it to the USB from a Mac and that didn’t work, I’ve also tried downloading it from a windows PC and that didn’t work. Please...
  10. wondering if there is a way to do a clean install of win 10 t. preview

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wondering if there is a way to do a clean install of win 10 t. preview: Good evening, I installed the windows 10 tech preview thru the windows update on my windows 7 laptop which is a dell inspiron 1501 and it has been almost a week with it and it works perfect. wondering if I use the recovery option in settings to erase everything and...