Windows 10: I need to find what's randomly restarting Explorer.

Discus and support I need to find what's randomly restarting Explorer. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently, I've been having Explorer seemingly randomly restarting itself. Usually when I select and right click a bunch of files to copy, move etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Galane, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Galane Win User

I need to find what's randomly restarting Explorer.

Recently, I've been having Explorer seemingly randomly restarting itself. Usually when I select and right click a bunch of files to copy, move etc.

Two recent things that happened were a bit of annoying malware that got past Defender. Backing up a couple of restore points and scanning with Malware Bytes and others seems to have got rid of it. Nothing I've scanned with finds anything out of sorts. I ran rkill after doing the restore point restore and it found nothing.

The other was I setup Hyper-V (after the malware incident) to run a second Win 10 install. But that's not been running when Explorer restarts itself.

Just got done upgrading to build 1809 and whatever is buggin it, that didn't cure the problem. I was rounding up some .m4a files to run through Format Factory to convert to MP3 when *blip*. Explorer windows and taskbar all vanished then the taskbar came back with all the quick launch icons but on the right, it only restores tray icons for things that launch at startup. Any running program that has a tray icon, it doesn't bring those back.

OS is 10 x64 1809 on an AMD FX6100 with 8gig DDR3, GPU is nVidia GTX 1050.

:)

Galane, Dec 12, 2018

2. PC Randomly Restarting after installing new Ram!

Tried your suggestions, but still had a restart! Also ran memtest overnight (13 hours according to memtest) and had no errors! Also ran Passmark Burn in test for a couple hours testing everything and had no errors or restart. Could fitting the new ram have triggered something to go bad like my mobo or psu?

Daryl Gill, Dec 12, 2018
  3. random restarts

Hi Lili,

Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to
    randomly restarts. As our initial troubleshooting step, we suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter on your computer and check if it fixes the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and fix other problems look for
      Power.
    • Then Run the troubleshooter.

Update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Marilou Ser, Dec 12, 2018
  4. I need to find what's randomly restarting Explorer.

Win 10 Windows Explorer started freezing randomly

Hi,

Provide the answers to the following for us to be able to learn more about the issue you're experiencing with your File Explorer:

• Is your Windows 10 up-to-date?
    • Are your drivers updated? If not yet, you can follow the steps found on this
      link
      on how to update your drivers in Windows 10.
    • What are the changes made or the things you've done before your File Explorer freezes randomly?

Regards.

Michelle Her, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

I need to find what's randomly restarting Explorer.

1. I need to find what's randomly restarting Explorer. - Similar Threads - need find what's

2. I constantly need to restart Windows 11 Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I constantly need to restart Windows 11 Explorer.: Hi. I constantly need to restart the windows explored on my laptop with Windows 11. I have restarted the computer and this doesn't help. In fact, it's getting progressively worse more restarts of explorer per hour whereas it used to be once a day. Any ideas how to solve this?...
  3. I constantly need to restart Windows 11 Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I constantly need to restart Windows 11 Explorer.: Hi. I constantly need to restart the windows explored on my laptop with Windows 11. I have restarted the computer and this doesn't help. In fact, it's getting progressively worse more restarts of explorer per hour whereas it used to be once a day. Any ideas how to solve this?...
  4. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  5. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes and restarts randomly: HiMy explorer crashes and restarts randomly every 2-5 minutesIm using win 10 ver 21H1 19043.1706I'v tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, sfc /scannow,chkdsk /f /r /clear all temp filesscan for virusesClean startupNothing workedAny help please?...
  6. Explorer crashes and restarts randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Computer restarting randomly. Unsure what is causing it to restart.

Computer restarting randomly. Unsure what is causing it to restart.: This has been happening for the last week. I boot the computer and for a while it behaves normally when at random the computer will crash and go black screen and restart. Usually after the restart it is fine for the rest of the day. I have attempted to fix it myself with...
  8. Internet randomly interrupted, needs restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet randomly interrupted, needs restart: Hi,the background: I have optical internet 100/10the setup: the cable goes to the wifi router, from there through a cable to a switch and from there, two cables to two PCs.the situation: Everything is normal, solid speeds, but sometimes the internet in my pc stops....
  9. Random restarts, need help!

Random restarts, need help!: Hello All! A few weeks ago I began to experience random BSOD / random power loss...usually while PC is idle but has happened when gaming. Thinking it was PSU related, swapped two additional units (Seasonic and EVGA) and still ran into this issue. From there reinstalled the...
  10. File Explorer consistently fails at random times, needs to be restarted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer consistently fails at random times, needs to be restarted: When doing file management in File Explorer sorting files and folders by dragging and dropping this works for a while, then stops; I can no longer drag, drop, or copy/paste or cut/paste. The only recourse is to open up the Task Manager, select Windows Explorer, then restart;...