Windows 10: I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data

Discus and support I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I experienced a problem with my Ubuntu live USB that seems to have corrupted or otherwise adversely affected my laptops bootloader and I can no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Creat0rByte, May 18, 2020.

1. I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data

I experienced a problem with my Ubuntu live USB that seems to have corrupted or otherwise adversely affected my laptops bootloader and I can no longer boot into windows on the internal drive. Most of my data should be fine if I can recover it (it’s been a few weeks since my last backup) and I don’t want to use Windows recovery if I will lose my data. What should I do?

submitted by /u/Creat0rByte
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Creat0rByte, May 18, 2020
  2. whatitdo6 Win User

How To Fix The Windows 10 Bootloader

THANK YOU. This solved it. I think this was mentioned earlier by you or someone else perhaps but I've messed around with it enough now where I vaguely understood what the commands were doing. I actually had to delete the partition, recreate it, and re write the BCD as you suggested in Step 3.

Shoutout to @topgundcp I'm sure that last method you suggested would have worked too, but now I understand how to do it manually, so I learned something.

Also, thank you @NavyLCDR for your help as well.

I have ONE last question, any SAFE way to remove the old ubuntu EFI entries that are present in my UEFI as boot options?

edit: Nvm, figured it out. For anyone else wanting to know how to remove old EFI boot entries, use "EasyUEFI" it is super easy. Took like 10 seconds after install. I DID have two identical looking EFI's for my samsung ssd, one of them, in the details, showed that it had no file path. I assumed that was my old broken one and deleted it, must have been correct bc my computer boots up perfect.

Thanks!!!

whatitdo6, May 18, 2020
  3. Mørket Win User
    Prevent Windows from overwriting other OS's bootloader

Hi! Just as the title suggests, I'd like to prevent Windows from overwriting the bootloader.

Currently I have several operating systems (none of them being Windows) in my computer and all of them are managed by a single bootloader which installed on the SSD, but I'd like to know:

1) If I install Windows (again), is the same thing going to happen?

2) Is there any way to prevent Windows from 'telling' the motherboard to select Windows instead of my already selected bootloader?

My perfect scenario would be:

1) I install Windows on my hard drive

2) I can press F9 or the 'boot menu' key and then select the hard drive on which I installed Windows to boot it.

3) If don't press anything, the computer will boot to grub/systemd boot or whatever my bootloader is to let me choose which OS I want to boot.

And not this:

1) I install Windows on one of my hard drives

2) Windows automatically boots, overwriting the content of the current disk that contains the bootloader.

Thank you.

Mørket, May 18, 2020
  4. Darknova Win User

I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data

vista bootloader problems

I've explained this so many times...

Basically if you use Vista and Linux, you are stuck with the Vista bootloader. It's only a bootloader. I had XP, Vista and Linux all running out of the Vista bootloader with no issues.

A Bootloader is nothing more than a tiny bit of software that allows you to choose which set of commands/OS to launch.

You want to use Ubuntu and Vista, you've gotta use the Vista bootloader.

Darknova, May 18, 2020
Thema:

I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data

1. I need to fix my bootloader/OS without losing my data - Similar Threads - need fix bootloader

2. Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data "

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data ": Hey I needed some help to to fix my external SSD without losing any data on it .Let me explain how all this started at first I wasn't able to delete any files on my external SSD so I tried every method likes changing its properties: attributes: , ownership.... in the end I...
  3. Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data "

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data ": Hey I needed some help to to fix my external SSD without losing any data on it .Let me explain how all this started at first I wasn't able to delete any files on my external SSD so I tried every method likes changing its properties: attributes: , ownership.... in the end I...
  4. Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data "

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I swap my SSD without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I swap my SSD without losing my data?: I have a pc windows 11 with a 1tb HDD and 250gb M.2 SSD. I have just bought a new 1tb M.2 SSD and want to replace the old 250gb one, but my OS is installed on the old SSD and my pc only has 1 M.2 SSD slot. The HDD has only personal files and has 220gb free. There is 199gb of...
  6. How can I swap my SSD without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I swap my SSD without losing my data?: I have a pc windows 11 with a 1tb HDD and 250gb M.2 SSD. I have just bought a new 1tb M.2 SSD and want to replace the old 250gb one, but my OS is installed on the old SSD and my pc only has 1 M.2 SSD slot. The HDD has only personal files and has 220gb free. There is 199gb of...
  7. losing my data

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    losing my data: I had a account in my laptop but I signed out and the same account signed me in. After signing in a message pops up saying we couldn't sign in to your account and my data in that account has also vanished...
  8. Is there a way to erase the os without losing the data? My grandma's pc died and I want to...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to erase the os without losing the data? My grandma's pc died and I want to...: submitted by /u/Gvarph006 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dvseob/is_there_a_way_to_erase_the_os_without_losing_the/
  9. Reset my windows without losing my data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset my windows without losing my data: When I Update my windows it shows that your computer is running in audit mode. and in registry editor it shows this, please help me in resetting my windows settings.[ATTACH]...
  10. BSOD - fix without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD - fix without losing data: I had the awful issue with the power cable not being recognised on my laptop. This has happened before and a restore worked. This time it didn't, so I uninstalled the drivers for the charger, and restarted the computer as they will then reinstall. It stated to shut down and...