Windows 10: I need to format my external hard drive to NTFS from raw but it won’t allow me.

Discus and support I need to format my external hard drive to NTFS from raw but it won’t allow me. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As the title states my external hard drive won’t reformat and when trying to do research for viable information I get directed to data recovery sites.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ShogunBushido, Dec 19, 2019.

1. I need to format my external hard drive to NTFS from raw but it won’t allow me.

As the title states my external hard drive won’t reformat and when trying to do research for viable information I get directed to data recovery sites. I have no data on the hard drive I just wiped it because I’m trying to use it to back up and restore my PS4 and have been on a wild goose chase to figure out why it would back up but not restore properly. If anyone has any helpful information it would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/ShogunBushido
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ShogunBushido, Dec 19, 2019
  2. tf2029 Win User

How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Thanks for your reply. Apparently the convert drive to NTFS doesn't work when the drive is RAW. After following your instructions in step 2 I get message "convert is not available for RAW drives.

Any suggestions?

tf2029, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Mirrored Drive gone from NTFS to RAW format

Hi Elias,

You may still give that a try. However, we can't guarantee that performing the suggested troubleshooting steps will resolve the RAW format issue.

In case the suggested troubleshooting steps doesn't make any difference, we suggest visiting our

TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well-equipped with the knowledge on such issues.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to share them with us here. Your input is very much welcome in our Community.

Michelle Vil, Jan 6, 2020
  4. DB8080 Win User

I need to format my external hard drive to NTFS from raw but it won’t allow me.

13/01/2019 Windows update formatted my external hard drive to raw

I have used easus tools to see if it could find the previous partition but it couldn't, the options shows are different from raw to ntfs partition so it's limited as to what it can do ie. shrink and delete, it would seem as though the ntfs partition just
    converted to raw.

Disk management shows the hard drive as healthy active RAW partition completely empty and that's about it, cannot do anything as it asks to be formatted first.

DB8080, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

I need to format my external hard drive to NTFS from raw but it won’t allow me.

1. I need to format my external hard drive to NTFS from raw but it won’t allow me. - Similar Threads - need format external

2. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  3. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  4. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS: I formated my external HDD to NTFS to be able to install games on it but now it won't appear in my folders, got any tips? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-wont-appear-after-formating/37698120-4618-46a0-bec9-fa450a414280
  6. External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS

External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS: I formated my external HDD to NTFS to be able to install games on it but now it won't appear in my folders, got any tips? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-wont-appear-after-formating/37698120-4618-46a0-bec9-fa450a414280
  7. Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS: Hello,I've a problem on my external hard drive, a HDD of 2To.Few days ago, I was normally using this, but suddently it stopped to run. I ran my pc on Windows and my HDD displayed as a RAW partition on disk managment.I tried chkdsk on CMD as admin but it says me that it is a...
  8. Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS

Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS: Hello,I've a problem on my external hard drive, a HDD of 2To.Few days ago, I was normally using this, but suddently it stopped to run. I ran my pc on Windows and my HDD displayed as a RAW partition on disk managment.I tried chkdsk on CMD as admin but it says me that it is a...
  9. Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Hard drive changes from ntfs to raw during format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive changes from ntfs to raw during format: I have a 1 TB hard drive. It is in ntfs format. If I do a quick format the drive stays as NTFS. If I turn off the quick format, the drive changes to RAW and the format fails. Should I only do the quick format or is their someting wrong with the drive? 182775