Windows 10: I need to lock the start menu down from all non-admin users

Discus and support I need to lock the start menu down from all non-admin users in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got this setup correctly but sadly it's not changing anything. I need to lock the start menu down from all non-admin users. I want to remove all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Techiedude, Apr 12, 2019.

1. I need to lock the start menu down from all non-admin users

I've got this setup correctly but sadly it's not changing anything. I need to lock the start menu down from all non-admin users. I want to remove all the icons and basically just give them access to shutdown and restart. When I select the appropriate rules, ENABLE them and reboot, all those functions are still enabled under the local non-admin account. The only thing I've managed to turn-off access to was the control panel.

:)

Techiedude, Apr 12, 2019
  2. IMA
    ima Win User

ATITool 0.24 in non-admin user

Hmm, strange thing. I uninstalled v0.24 and installed v0.23, which works fine. After I read your advices, I installed v0.24 again and "Voila!", it starts in PowerUsers (non-admin) without errors/complains.
    Thank you for your suggestions and sorry for the post.

3. No speaker sound for non admin users

Hej.

Sorry for the "hard to read" and not including how I created the non admin account.

No, not a Microsoft account. Just a "local" non admin account.

As I cleared the disk nothing should be here from previously installation.

And yes after I created the non admin account and logged in to this account the sound is OK.

And this is not so strange as I have been logged in as admin before.

I see it like this:

==============

Start/reboot the computer and the "door" to the speakers is locked. Non admin has no "key" to the "door".

Login as admin and the "door" opens as admin has the "key" to to the "door".

(Admin don't need to go to the "door", just login/logout)

And now the "door" is open, also for non admins, until the computer is rebooted.

==============

Hopefully you can follow my analogy.

And then it is not so strange that the non admin user can hear sound when the account is created and logged in.

Admin has already opened the "door" and computer has not been restarted.

When I then reboot the computer the "door" is locked and the non admin user can't hear any sound until admin has opened the "door" again.

/Sten-Åke

Sten-Åke Werner, Apr 12, 2019
  4. Namslas90 Win User

I need to lock the start menu down from all non-admin users

How do ya add to window start menu?

Yeah kind of a dumb thing about XP. You gotta be the Administrator to change/add some things. When you set up XP you should have listed youreself as Admin and just not typed in a password. That way it's a single user PC and you have controll.

Goto START > Control Panel > User Accounts > Administrator > change Name to you and do not enter a password and that should do it, unless you allready have an "ADMIN" and you dont know the password. In that case you will have to ask the Admin for access to change things.

Namslas90, Apr 12, 2019
Thema:

I need to lock the start menu down from all non-admin users

1. I need to lock the start menu down from all non-admin users - Similar Threads - need lock start

2. Need to block a non-admin W11 user from saving files, copying files to all BUT one folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to block a non-admin W11 user from saving files, copying files to all BUT one folder: Hi,Mobile users carry synced data in their notebooks. They MUST create, edit-save files in ONE folder only; not in Documents, Not in Desktop, not in Pictures, Videos, root of C:.The folder will be in their user folder C:\Users\User 1\HereYouCanSave and the solution must allow...
  3. Need to block a non-admin W11 user from saving files, copying files to all BUT one folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to block a non-admin W11 user from saving files, copying files to all BUT one folder: Hi,Mobile users carry synced data in their notebooks. They MUST create, edit-save files in ONE folder only; not in Documents, Not in Desktop, not in Pictures, Videos, root of C:.The folder will be in their user folder C:\Users\User 1\HereYouCanSave and the solution must allow...
  4. How to collect logs from AD with non-admin user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to collect logs from AD with non-admin user?: Dear colleagues,I need to collect descriptive logs from Active Directory, but using a user with minimal privileges. Currently, technologies allow me to use WMI log collection but the problem is that as far as I have read, to collect security logs from Windows Server 2012 R2...
  5. How to collect logs from AD with non-admin user?

How to collect logs from AD with non-admin user?: Dear colleagues,I need to collect descriptive logs from Active Directory, but using a user with minimal privileges. Currently, technologies allow me to use WMI log collection but the problem is that as far as I have read, to collect security logs from Windows Server 2012 R2...
  6. Run as Admin for Non Admin user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Run as Admin for Non Admin user: We have an app called 2020 on local machines and there are catalogs that need to be updated monthly. The catalogs are in the Azure cloud server. I was hoping to use this option runas /user:ComputerName\Username /savecred "C:\path\to\app.exe but the app is app to do the...
  7. Run as Admin for Non Admin user

Run as Admin for Non Admin user: We have an app called 2020 on local machines and there are catalogs that need to be updated monthly. The catalogs are in the Azure cloud server. I was hoping to use this option runas /user:ComputerName\Username /savecred "C:\path\to\app.exe but the app is app to do the...
  8. Start menu non operational

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu non operational: I have Windows Pro 10.0.19041.388. The start menu no longer works. Every time I try to use it I get an error message stating "CRITICAL ERROR. Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. Sign out now." I do not get any option and the laptop...
  9. Rune regedit for non-admin user

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Rune regedit for non-admin user: Somehow my ToastNotifications got switched off. Need to have admin privileges to switch it back on. Running regedit as Administrator doesn't work. Have a .reg file, but that has to be double-clicked, so no privileges. Can't set Properties ... Run as Administrator for a .reg...
  10. Locking down power option for non-admins in control panel

in Windows 10 Support
    Locking down power option for non-admins in control panel: We used to use Fortres Grand to lock down our Windows XP and 7 desktops and with Windows 10 I am trying to move away from it and rely mainly on the built-in windows security. I have mostly everything how I want it in the Windows 10 sysprep image I'm building except for the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. limit start menu for non admin