Windows 10: I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives

Discus and support I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to move data from one external hard drive to another external hard drive on windows 10 computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jenny Van de Kamer, Jun 23, 2021.

1. I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives

I need to move data from one external hard drive to another external hard drive on windows 10 computer

:)

Jenny Van de Kamer, Jun 23, 2021
  2. Gowrish_S Win User

external hard drive

Hi GeoffGray_008,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What is the make and model of the External hard drive?

The easiest way to format an external hard drive is through File Explorer or through Disk Management.

Method 1: Format the external hard drive from File Explorer.

• Press Windows key and X key and select File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC and check if the external hard drive is detected.
    • Right click on the external hard drive and click on Format.
    • Select the format (NTFS, FAT32) and click on Start.
    • Click on OK once the format is complete.

Method 2: Format using Disk Management.

- Open Computer Management by selecting the
    Start button.

- Select Control Panel > System and Security
    > Administrative Tools, and then double-click on
    Computer Management

- In the left pane, under
    Storage, select Disk Management.

- Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then select
    Format.

-
    To format the volume with the default settings, in the
    Format
    dialog box, select OK, and then select OK again.

Note: By formatting the external hard drive, all the data will be lost. You may take back up of the data before formatting the external hard drive.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Regards,

Gowrish S

Microsoft Community –Moderator

Gowrish_S, Jun 23, 2021
  3. external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Jun 23, 2021
  4. Remon Ont Win User

I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 23, 2021
Thema:

I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives

1. I need to move data on 2 external hard drives back and forth between external hard drives - Similar Threads - need move data

2. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  3. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  4. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. external hard drive not backing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not backing up: every time i press back up it does its backing up thingy then it says you havent backed up your drive ive tried 3 times and many different things online please help me i need to fix it before wensday cause they gonna take my computer and fix it and they might need to wipe it...
  6. back up my hard drive to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    back up my hard drive to an external hard drive: backing up my hard drive to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-my-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive/322809a8-5ac9-408c-998d-8a2ecdcd1906
  7. Move files to an external hard drive

Move files to an external hard drive: i want to move pictured from my computers hard drive to an external hard drive via a usb port. When I right click and copy and go to past... I cant find the usc hard drive option to past to? thanks...
  8. 2 partitions external hard drive need to reformat.

2 partitions external hard drive need to reformat.: I have an external Hard Drive 500GB, it was formatted into 2 partitions. I have done backup of the contents, then I thought I need to format it to a one hard disk. I did delete the 2 partitions in "computer management". Later this hard drive did not show on "This PC" and can...
  9. Backing up to a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up to a external hard drive: After reading about ransomware etc. it got me wondering about backing up my information to an external hard drive. It would serve double duty in the event of a drive failure or the unlikely event of ransom ware. I've never used an external drive for backup so I have a few...
  10. USB 3.0 question : data backup between 2 external hard drives

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    USB 3.0 question : data backup between 2 external hard drives: Hi All, I need to copy all my data / photos / videos / docs etc. from one hard drive to another so I have a backup in case of a crash. It's about 4.5 TB which according to most will take DAYS to copy over via USB 2.0. I see online that I can buy a converter, but if...