Windows 10: I need to reinstall / reset ? windows 10 and I don't want to delete GRUB

Discus and support I need to reinstall / reset ? windows 10 and I don't want to delete GRUB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, i 've got a laptop with 3 operating systems: Windows 10 home, Linux Mint and Xubuntu. I bought the laptop without any operating system, then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rodrigos2, May 29, 2020.

1. rodrigos2 Win User

I need to reinstall / reset ? windows 10 and I don't want to delete GRUB

Hi,

i 've got a laptop with 3 operating systems: Windows 10 home, Linux Mint and Xubuntu. I bought the laptop without any operating system, then I installed Windows 7 and the mentioned Linux distros, and last year I "upgraded" to Windows 10 that is properly activated with a digital license. So I don't have a partition with a factory system restore.

The problem is that I am having lots of problems with Windows Update I am unable to install any updates due to several errors, and so I would like to reinstall -clean reinstall- Windows 10 I tried everything to fix the fu**ing Windows Update and nothing has worked

I use GRUB a program I have installed in the Xubuntu root partition to choose which OS I want to use everytime I start my laptop, and I don't want it to stop working when I reinstall Windows because recovering GRUB after Windows install is a pain in the a**. I know that if I do clean install with my Windows 10 disc, GRUB will be "killed".

My questions is: I have seen that Windows 10 has to options to reset the PC: Reset and fresh start.Will any these options keep my GRUB config when I reinstall Windows 10?.

Thank you!

:)

rodrigos2, May 29, 2020
  2. Dr Coloso Win User

Windows 10 updates don´t play nicely with Grub

Ok I have this big problem. On the mayority of the updates installing fails at 100 percent and it rolls back. I have dual boot with Opensuse linux and the thing is that I´d discovered that if Grub is installed in the MBR the update will fail . I have to
    rewrite the MBR and the boot sector to be able to install the update. How the heck this happened?? There are millions of intel classmates here in my country that have Windows 7 and some linux distro and I ve never heard of any kind of problem with those. Windows
    10 goes a step backwards in therms of interop and bans the update if you are using grub.

Dr Coloso, May 29, 2020
  3. Deleting Grub GNU

I had installed Ubuntu as a dual boot option on my laptop. I have since deleted it but no matter what I have tried I can not get the grub loader off my computer. I have tried the following:

used disk manager to delete the Ubuntu partition

tried bootrec/fix mbr and fix boot

totally reset the PC deleting all files and reinstalling windows 10

Yet its still on my laptop. Windows loads fine but I would like still like the grub loader gone. I believe its in the EFI partition and am not sure if I delete the partition through "diskpart" if it will cause problems when booting the system and if I can
    reinstall the EFI that's supposed to be there.

dropkickhazy, May 29, 2020
  4. I need to reinstall / reset ? windows 10 and I don't want to delete GRUB

Windows 10 crash while doing reset

Hello

I have a dual boot system with ubuntu and windows 10 managed by the ubuntu Grub .

I was trying to reset my windows 10 from the windows 10 settings .The reset process stopped midway at 66% and after that it did not procees ahead.I followed the suggested options cancelled the reset and continued to restart the windows 10.

after that the windows 10 did not boot at all.

please suggest what should be done.I don;t have the windows 10 Cd to make a fresh install as i was upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7.

ankursharma2329, May 29, 2020
Thema:

I need to reinstall / reset ? windows 10 and I don't want to delete GRUB

1. I need to reinstall / reset ? windows 10 and I don't want to delete GRUB - Similar Threads - need reinstall reset

2. Do I need to reinstall or reset Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to reinstall or reset Windows?: Any update installs just fine until the restart. Then it always stops at 7% and then says something didn't go as planned. Undoing the changes. I've tried everything aside from this....
  3. Do I need to reinstall or reset Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need to reinstall or reset Windows?: Any update installs just fine until the restart. Then it always stops at 7% and then says something didn't go as planned. Undoing the changes. I've tried everything aside from this....
  4. I don't want it...

I don't want it...: Hello everyone in the community saw this question.This question is about resolution of the Windows Boot ManagerHere the detail:I have been downloaded A Windows Insider Program in ISO file type Namely: Windows 11 23h2 Insider Preview to prepare for an installation of Windows...
  5. I don't want it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't want it...: Hello everyone in the community saw this question.This question is about resolution of the Windows Boot ManagerHere the detail:I have been downloaded A Windows Insider Program in ISO file type Namely: Windows 11 23h2 Insider Preview to prepare for an installation of Windows...
  6. I want to reinstall windows 10

I want to reinstall windows 10: My computer used to have Windows 10 and I still have the activation code. I currently use Windows 11 and I want to do a clean reinstall of Windows without keeping any of my current files. If I reinstall Windows 11 from the Microsoft site, will I be able to use that activation...
  7. I want to reinstall windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to reinstall windows 10: My computer used to have Windows 10 and I still have the activation code. I currently use Windows 11 and I want to do a clean reinstall of Windows without keeping any of my current files. If I reinstall Windows 11 from the Microsoft site, will I be able to use that activation...
  8. i want to reinstall windows 10,help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i want to reinstall windows 10,help: so hi :) i want to reinstall windows 10 i have never done it i have only factory reseted it so i want a clean reinstall but i dont know what drives to delete the biggest drive is my hdd,the one thats called stuff,partition 4 is my ssd so please respond i want to reinstall...
  9. Will I need to reinstall windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will I need to reinstall windows 10?: Hello I recently got a new motherboard and a cpu (Kind of). Basically I had a faulty ryzen 5 3600 and I am getting a replacement processor from AMD so I will still have a ryzen 5 3600 but it's not the same number (or whatever it's called). Anyway will I need to reactivate...
  10. I don't want to reinstall Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I don't want to reinstall Win 10: Sooo... I recently purchased a new motherboard for my PC and, as you guessed, I want to replace the old one with the new one on my PC. I've never really done this kind of thing before but I heard that replacing motherboard requires Windows reinstallation. Considering how...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reinstalling windows 10 over grub