Windows 10: I need to shift the OS partition 30GB to the right. How to ?

Discus and support I need to shift the OS partition 30GB to the right. How to ? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; The first 30GB of my hard drive have bad sectors scattered throughout. From LBA 1160000 to 57000000. These sectors are in the OS C: partition. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by link626, Mar 18, 2020.

1. link626 Win User

I need to shift the OS partition 30GB to the right. How to ?

The first 30GB of my hard drive have bad sectors scattered throughout.
    From LBA 1160000 to 57000000.

These sectors are in the OS C: partition.

The hard drive is 750gb with lots of free space on D: partition, so I just need to redefine the partition boundaries, and shift the entire OS to the right by 30GB.

What's the best method to do this safely?

I do not want to reinstall.

:)

link626, Mar 18, 2020
  2. link626 Win User

The first 30GB of my hard drive have bad sectors scattered throughout.
    From LBA 1160000 to 57000000.

These sectors are in the OS C: partition.

The hard drive is 750gb with lots of free space on D: partition, so I just need to redefine the partition boundaries, and shift the entire OS to the right by 30GB.

What's the best method to do this safely?

I do not want to reinstall.

link626, Mar 18, 2020
  3. idgat Win User

Partition management software like EaseUS and AOMEI.

But beware .... an installation of Windows relies on certain system components being located at particular "addresses" (locations) on the drive, and those locations are recorded/registered in the OS registry. Moving the partition to another part of the drive moves those components to a different address, different from that in the registry. The move doesn't update the Windows registry and that's when boot problems start !!

And a drive with bad sectors .... DUMP IT! More often than not it gets worse (commonly known as "drive/disk cancer") and you're forever repairing the OS. High maintenance.

You could clone/image to drive, but more than likely you're including in the clone/image, corrupted files from the failed sectors.

I suspect you don't have any other option than a re-install .... (on a new drive)

idgat, Mar 18, 2020
  4. link626 Win User

I am going to try this bad sector isolation method, as it has worked on my other laptop for years now, no problems.
    I will sacrifice the first 35gb of this 750gb drive.

I checked the corrupt sector files, and they don't seem important.... a font file, nvidia driver ini, and some other garbage.

Tell me if this works...
    I make system image of OS partition.
    Shift the left boundary of D partition to the right by 35gb
    Delete the OS partition and reformat OS partition.
    Restore system image to the new shifted partition without having to reinstall windows.

doable?

Right now I'm using Minitool.

link626, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

1. I need to shift the OS partition 30GB to the right. How to ? - Similar Threads - need shift partition

2. Shift + A is not working with both left and right shift.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift + A is not working with both left and right shift.: The left and right shift key works with all other letters and numbers besides A. I can use caps lock to get uppercase A. But, I would prefer to use my shift key on A rather than caps lock. I have tried using another keyboard but still have the same issue. I have updated...
  3. Shift + A is not working with both left and right shift.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift + A is not working with both left and right shift.: The left and right shift key works with all other letters and numbers besides A. I can use caps lock to get uppercase A. But, I would prefer to use my shift key on A rather than caps lock. I have tried using another keyboard but still have the same issue. I have updated...
  4. HP screen shifted to right.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP screen shifted to right.: Hi.I used auto adjustment option on my HP monitor and my screen shifted to right.Right side of the screen is not visible and there is big black box on the left side of the screen. There is tiny green line left side of the box. When i start my computer, screen is fine but...
  5. HP screen shifted to right.

HP screen shifted to right.: Hi.I used auto adjustment option on my HP monitor and my screen shifted to right.Right side of the screen is not visible and there is big black box on the left side of the screen. There is tiny green line left side of the box. When i start my computer, screen is fine but...
  6. How to shift back from LinuxZorin OS to Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to shift back from LinuxZorin OS to Windows: I just downloaded Zorin OS in my PC but after using it for 2-3 mins now I desperately want Windows 10 back on my PC. Any way to get Windows 10 back?...
  7. How to shift back from LinuxZorin OS to Windows

How to shift back from LinuxZorin OS to Windows: I just downloaded Zorin OS in my PC but after using it for 2-3 mins now I desperately want Windows 10 back on my PC. Any way to get Windows 10 back?...
  8. How to shift back from LinuxZorin OS to Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How do I disable certain shift right keys on registry?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I disable certain shift right keys on registry?: Today, Shift right key has been fall out, other keys on my keyboard, it can't be pressed anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-certain-shift-right-keys-on/236dad9a-1e8a-43a2-a85c-46ad5175edf0
  10. Deleted OS Partition and Need Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted OS Partition and Need Help: Hello. I have an Acer laptop that had Windows 8 on it. We took the free upgrade to get to Windows 10 and tried it for a few months. Now I decided to try to install Windows 7 on it. I put the disc in the drive and booted. I deleted all partitions except for the data partition...