Windows 10: I need to transfer user files from one computer to another

Discus and support I need to transfer user files from one computer to another in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My elderly friend has an old HP, and bought a new HP computer (Boxed) kit with Win 10 built in. I, as the local computer wizard am tasked with moving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by chuckiechan, May 5, 2021.

1. I need to transfer user files from one computer to another

My elderly friend has an old HP, and bought a new HP computer (Boxed) kit with Win 10 built in. I, as the local computer wizard am tasked with moving her data from the old to the new. (She lives 35 miles of traffic away.) There is a back up drive attached to the old one, but I'm wary of using it. I plan on using a spare external back up drive to "copy from old, paste to new". Quick and simple is my goal. My guess is she has less than 1/4 terabyte in user data. Which is the best way to go: Transfer "user" files Transfer "Libraries" or just copy docs, pics, videos, etc. Thanks in advance. Sorry about the lack of specs.

:)

chuckiechan, May 5, 2021
  2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, May 5, 2021
  3. How to Transfer Users between isolated computers.

Hello.
    Can you help me solve my USERS problem below?

I have 30 New, Windows 10 v1703, stand alone computers - no network, no server...
    [They must remain isolated - l_o_n_g story - don't ask.]
    I need to add 53 users, identical list, to each computer.

The data I enter for a NEW USER via MMC is:
    --User name
    --Full name
    --Description
    --Password
    --Confirm password
    --User must change password at next logon == YES or check this box

I can add my users here:
    MMC \ Console Root \ Local Users and Groups \ Users
    Or here:
    Administrative tools \ Computer Management \ System Tools \ Local Users and Groups \ Users

And both allow this:
    Action \ Export list
    Which creates a text, .CSV or .TXT, file for me.

Examplie Lines from the file looks like this:
    User1020,Smith, Bob B.,AGENCY STAFF
    User1023,Smith, Sam S.,AGENCY STAFF
    User1024,Smith, Tom T.,AGENCY STAFF

I would like to put this file on a USB drive and import it from computer #01 to #02, #03,...

But I can't find a way to "IMPORT" this list.

I was suggested that I attempt WET (Windows Easy Transfer; move folders\files from a Win-7 unit...)
    This did not work.

I'm just learning PowerShell so I have no idea how to work it out that way either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert08182017, May 5, 2021
  4. LonGun Win User

I need to transfer user files from one computer to another

Need Help Files Transfer

I have a computer running Windows XP Home Edition. That computer has two internal HDDs:

The 1st HDD is C:\ that running Windows. And it has 20GB total of capacity.
    The 2nd HDD is D:\ that is empty. And it has 90GB total of capacity.

The C:\ drive is almost run out of space (full). Is there a way I can transfer everything in the C:\ drive to the D:\ drive and begin to use the D:\ drive from there on as primary drive?
    Can the Windows Files Transfer feature in XP transfer everything I have in C:\ to D:\? If it cannot, then which way can I use to perform the above step?

Thank you.

LonGun, May 5, 2021
Thema:

I need to transfer user files from one computer to another

1. I need to transfer user files from one computer to another - Similar Threads - need transfer user

2. Data transfer from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data transfer from one computer to another: My husband and I have Lenovo laptops. I need to move his data to my laptop and my data to his laptop. Please help. Thank you Also, I think my computer was updated to windows 11 but when it was purchased, it had windows 10 on it....
  3. Data transfer from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data transfer from one computer to another: My husband and I have Lenovo laptops. I need to move his data to my laptop and my data to his laptop. Please help. Thank you Also, I think my computer was updated to windows 11 but when it was purchased, it had windows 10 on it....
  4. Transferring files from one user to another

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transferring files from one user to another: I original set up windows under an account/email that has since be closed. I want to transfer all my files currently on the old user account to my new user account but can't seem to figure this out. Is there a way I can move my files, apps, and setting that are on the old...
  5. Transferring files from one computer to another over a network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from one computer to another over a network.: I've spent days trying to transfer files from one computer to another on my network. I can see the source computer on the destination computer, but when I click on it, it asks for "network credentials". What is that?, and how do I find out what it is? I've tried following...
  6. transfer microsoft from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    transfer microsoft from one computer to another: We just upgraded our computer and would like to transfer the program account to the new one. How do we download microsoft to the new one. Our account does not expire until this spring. Thank you....
  7. Transferring the Users from one drive to another.

Transferring the Users from one drive to another.: I got a new HDD and i would like to move my existing User to that new drive. how do i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-the-users-from-one-drive-to-another/f0bb506e-2d91-4bc5-9461-0efe31c2d568
  8. Windows 10: transfer a file from one user to another on the same computer

Windows 10: transfer a file from one user to another on the same computer: Windows 10: why is there no way to transfer a file from one user to another on the same computer? This seems to me to be an obviously desirable feature and should be made easy, but a diligent search of the Internet reveals nothing relevant or practical. Instructions about...
  9. Transfer files from one user account to another in Windows 10

Transfer files from one user account to another in Windows 10: I need to transfer from one user account to another and I am having issues doing so. The account I want to transfer from seems to be just a folder and I can't transfer everything to the account I want to. Not sure how to do this without causing issues. [ATTACH] I want it...
  10. I need permission to transfer a file from one folder to another

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I need permission to transfer a file from one folder to another: Heya, I am unable to place one file into another folder because I dont have permission to do so, I have changed the owner ship of my C and D drive to myself, and everything in it, But by doing so I am still unable to move the file from one folder into the other, and...